“Never again.. NEVER EVER... Infact I don't think I could stay @ super 8 chain again!”
Review of Super 8 Guelph

Super 8 Guelph
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Ontario
Reviewed September 16, 2009

This place is a sleezy slime ball motel. The owner will try and tell you he has a screen on his computer that gives him all the rates to all the hotels in Guelph - HE IS A LIAR! You can easily get a room for $59, but he will charge you at first $119 for a 1Q non-smoking.. Show him whose boss and go to walk out and watch how fast he drops his rates.. All this man sees is $$$ and will charge you for everything & anything he can! The rooms are dirty, the internet does not work (you have to bring your laptop into the main office), I would also be scared to eat from the breakfast bar... Ali the "owner" is rude and disrespecful, I wonder how any of his employees can stay, I seen him loose it on the poor girl @ the front counter the night I checked in, I felt so bad for this young girl getting screamed & spit on by this intimidating man..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mommas-trips
Reviewed June 22, 2008

On arrival, we went to the front desk to check in.
The person there was rude!!! My husband and I did not expect much as we were giving this hotel the benefit of the doubt per some other reviews...but I totally agree "the Super 8 Guelph sucks"!!!!

Our room was dirty. The chain on the door appears as if it had been previously ripped off. The towels were all stained and had a horrible smell. We called for more towels and they were "moist". The pillows were so small and no support. The bathroom floor was disgusting.
They may have remodeled the outside, but lack any type of renovation to the inside. NOT recommended by our standards!!!

• Liked — cheap
  • Disliked — everything else!!!
  • Stayed June 2008
2 Thank Mommas-trips
New Liskeard, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We arrived and I was walking to the lobby. I was met outside by a work crew of some sort. One of the men pointed at me and said "there's your installer". I was dressed in a blazer and dress hat. I said, "Do I look like an installer?" The manager was with them, Ali, and followed me to the lobby where he asked me in a very rude manner, "So what ARE you here for then?" Uhhh..I have a reservation. Why? Am I bothering you?" I answered. He refused to apologize, refused to engage in conversation, refused to tell me about Guelph or when breakfast was. He said, "You have to be out by 11." I even offered to leave and come back as an attempt to start over again. He says, "Don't bother, there's no reason."
He made me pay up front and after we left the next day, we tried to use our credit card, only to find out through our credit card cmpany that this "manager was still holding $150 against our room." We are disabled and needed this money to get home, 7 hours away. I had to drive back, and he again was extremely rude and proceeded to "counsel me on better credit card usage and tell me that no one misses 150 dollars. When I left, I was assured there were no outstanding charges. After being turned down twice with our card, I went back and demanded he releas the money. He made a 'one cent' chare to the card and promised me the money was released. He lied. My wife and I got stuck in Orangeville because our card was turned down for gas. We scraped together what we had to get the gas paid and were forced to write a check against the held balance because we knew no one in the area and had no other means of getting money to get home. The Super 8 chain is STILL hoding my 150 dollars. I have written customer service, I am calling head office in New Jersey, so anyone else who have had difficulties with this self centred manager needs to call as well, and I am going to demand my money back and that this manager severely reprimanded. I NEVER do that but his uncaring arrogant treatment of us is the last straw. Furthermore, our sheets had rips in them and there was filth across the heater. The rug was dirty and being in the room nearest to the lobby was noisy all night. The night girl Amber was EXCELLENT as was theday lady. But this manager was the rudest human I have run into in a long time ANYWHERE and I strongly suggest that anyone considering Suer 8 Guelph go ANYWHERE else to stay.

• Liked — The night girl Amber was very nice and did her best to help anyway she could.
  • Disliked — The manager, the manager, the manager, and the room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank krazykritik
bentinck
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I have never written a review before but the experience our friends had and our minor misshap, I thought it was only fair to other travellers.
We traveled to Guelph for a ringette tournament and stayed at the Super 8 Motel. Friends of ours do a lot of traveling with ringette and have stayed in Super 8's before with no complaints.
Unfortunately this was not the case at this particular motel.
I will be frank...The owner's are not friendly, infact they are rude and seem frustrated at all times.
Our guarentee of the request of of cot in the room was never followed through on. Another teammates family had to cancel their reservation and rebook at another hotel because their non smoking room which they requested was obviously not a Non-smoking room, the smell was horrible. Also another family was accused of breaking a bed and damaging the tub which was totally obsurd and down right infuriating.
One last thing, check out is at 11:00am, and upon arrival at 10:30am after our Sunday morning game we found that our key to our room would not work. The owner had gone ahead and checked us out before we had a chance to check out and remove our belongings.
This motel is managed very poorly with absolutely NO customer service or appreciation.

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank scjlar
London
Reviewed July 15, 2007

RUDE RUDE RUDE,,,,RUDE!!!! Give your money to anyone else but these people. The young man at the front desk (calls himself the owner) should NOT be permitted to work with the public. So incredibly RUDE,,,it seemed to cause him great inconvenience to struggle off the couch he was glued to in the lobby. He tried to charge us more money per nite, because we didn't stay the 3rd nite. Which I explained we might not need at the booking, and again at check in. "No problem" he says. He's the one that put the rate as a Corporate rate, as we were in town on business. What an argument this man gave when I told him no "3 nite rate" was ever discussed. He's so RUDE & IGNORRANT that he proceeded to tell me right off in the LOBBY. I don't trust this man with our credit card. ***DON'T TRUST THIS OWNER***NOT TRUSTWORTHY***SUPER 8 GUELPH left a VERY SOUR TASTE***

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Rude, VERY RUDE owner,,,GIVE YOUR MONEY TO ANYONE ELSE
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank LondonHello
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews on trip advisor, as the reviews have always helped me before. Not This Time. This place is old. Our room was small and dingy. Very old. Room smelled in particular the bathroom. We left--could not stay even one night here. My husband and I travel all the time, and we would be hard pressed to even give it one star.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Old, not clean
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business