“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Saint John, Canada
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed here three nights. The staff was without fail awesome! Chelsea, in particular was REALLY helpful! Everyone though was friendly, knowledgeable and very accommodating. I stayed in the same Queen business room each night and it was large, comfortable and clean. Yes. It is dated and could use updates, but I chose Super8 for the price not the look. The toilet took some work to figure out (had to hold the handle for it to flush), but overall, I have no complaints about the hotel itself. I'm not sure that I would stay there again though. Not due to the hotel itself, but because it is much farther out than I realized. I was traveling solo without a vehicle and needed to take public transportation to and from Toronto and it was $20 for a cab one way to get from the hotel to the bus/train station! It was a $15cab ride to the mall and $15 back. If I go back to Guelph, I suspect I will take the additional money spent on transportation costs and use it on a hotel that is within walking distance to the bus/train station, downtown, shopping areas.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andy1612, General Manager at Super 8 Guelph, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
Thank you for your positive review. We are always pleased to hear that the front desk staff are doing their job well. We would like to have you return to the hotel and would be able to give you contacts of other companies that offer cheaper in-town travel. Thank you again for choosing Super 8 Guelph.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Northeastern Ontario, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Went to attend "Friday the 13th at Port Dover" Booked ahead of time. 2 main floor rooms, 2 beds, both smoking. Upon arrival I got 1 main floor, 2 bed, smoking, and one top floor, 2 bed, non smoking. Room was clean and nice upon arrival, was greeted very nicely but not happy about receiving wrong rooms. Went out the next day to Port Dover and arrived back at the motel about 10 pm. I was very upset with the fact the bathroom had NOT!! been cleaned. empty bottles of shampoo and crème rinse, and used bars of soap from night before still sitting where we had left them and no shampoo, coffee, or sugar, only 1 decafe. I am not aware of how the house keeping is done there but during my stay was not impressed. The lady at the front desk was very apologetic, offered us another room but was not going to pack up everything at 10 pm after a long, hot day in Dover so she went and got what was requested. I am a house keeper for 2 years now at Microtel Inn & Suites in Timmins Ont. & when we do our stays, their room looks like the first day they walked in, the bathroom is cleaned well, soap changed, & all necessary items replaced, coffee ,sugar, soap ,towels, etc. The tub in our room had not even been cleaned, totally unacceptable. I cleaned it myself with a small towel and a bottle of shampoo, this is discusting Needless to say will never stay at a Super 8 again especially there. We go to Guelph every year but will now check other motel ratings before booking. bathmat old dirty so I took it out all in all totally discusting don't stay there cob webs in corners I could go on & on

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

2 Thank Lenore W
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Don't expect a Super 8 to look like a Ritz Carlton.

People usually say i'm too excited, but this Super 8 is good, not my fav Super 8 ever.
The staff is great, has to be mentioned 1st ! Super friendly and helpful.
Room is spacious and bed was comfy.
My sink drained slowly (Room 201).
I had a fridge, microwave and coffee machine, which i love because i like to get my groceries to make my own breakfast. So i have no idea what breakfast looks like here.
To get my groceries, no problem. Walmart, Whole Foods etc. just a block away. Just like some restaurants/fastfood joints.
Guelph was right in the middle of all places i wanted to visit by car. Parking no problem. Plenty gas stations too.

The only thing that was terrible was the traffic noise. I should've known better, since the hotel is situated right at an intersection towards all directions.. I didn't need an alarm clock, the whole region goes by the door every morning. Commuters and comercial.
Because of that i will try to find something else next time. But there is a chance i will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo