“Best value”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Ottawa, Canada
“Best value”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is always the best value in Guelph.Complimentary breakfast is ordinary but easily overlooked when one factors in the affordable cost of the room. Front desk staff always friendly. Rooms have been updated and are comfortable for business travel and work.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
McDougall
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Brock a year ago while visiting family. The location and hotel were perfect so last week we returned again. We were pleased to see that this hotel is still operating
and such a wonderful place to stay. We had a King sized bed which was very comfortable and the room was decorated beautifully. We were able to park our car right outside the sliding glass doors
which made unloading so easy.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a perfect location for us so we do hope we can return
again when we visit the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a King bed room and you will be able to park right by your sliding glass door. This makes u...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kemptville, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We always stay at Best Western because we find it to be the most consistent hotel experience for the best price. Yes, there are better hotels, but they come at a much higher cost. We stay at this Best Western in Guelph because it's close to our daughter attending OVC at the University of Guelph. It is also very close to all things offered on Stone Rd., including a wide variety of dining and shopping. We can easily walk along Gordon to the University, and it is a very scenic stroll. The rooms are large, clean and modern. The free breakfast is very good with a wide variety of items. Our daughter is there for a few more years so we will stay again. Note: Several booking sites say they don't allow pets, but they do. We were there during some type of teen tournament and the staff made sure to give us a room away from all the teams. My only complaint is the wifi, which is far too weak to be useful.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel for a volleyball tournament. The location is great, the staff were courteous and friendly however when we checked in they only had one staff on knowing there were many teams coming in on the Friday. We waited a very long time to check in.

The positives: Great location, the breakfast was the best we have had at a hotel before. Rooms are big and clean, beds are ok one had the springs coming out a bit. Pillows are fabulous which is nice. staff are helpful. They opened breakfast early to accommodate the early team times which was great! Rooms had balconies which was nice to sit out on in the afternoon/evenings.

The negatives: There is no elevator to the 3rd floor!! I have back problems and we had to carry our luggage, sports bags and coolers up stairs and back down the stairs. So if you if you have mobility problems or back issues etc like myself ask for the main floor room. The other issues were we had a room facing the road, which was very loud at night time. You can also hear every noise and door closing in the hallways. I felt bad for any other people staying there that were not part of our group as we were up at 6:30am. Lastly I was the least impressed with the wifi. We needed the internet a lot and it was very unreliable, kept kicking us off or at times it didn't even show up. I don't know if it was because we were at the other end of the building and the furthest away but It was very frustrating. Lastly, most hotels we have stayed at offered fruit and coffee/tea throughout the day and evening. There were coffee machines in the rooms but I was a little iffy on it as it looked like it wasn't used in a few years. plus it would have been nice to grab a coffee.

Generally the stay was ok. I would not stay again as I didn't like that there was no elevator and to get to the breakfast/lobby/ice machines are difficult and it was kinda loud a night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ketan N, General Manager at Royal Brock Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your review of our property. I am delighted to hear you found our staff courteous and helpful, and you experienced a favorable breakfast. I am sorry to hear you found the building difficult to navigate and we do try our best at the Front Desk to have guests park as closely in proximity to their designated rooms to avoid long hauls with luggage. Your comments allow us to enhance staff training to ensure they accommodate all guests needs. We hope you do give us another opportunity in the future.
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here to be close to our daughter attending University of Guelph. Walking distance to the University. Nice clean rooms with modern décor. Good got free breakfast. Will stay again. If the on line site says there are no rooms, make sure to call the hotel directly.

Room Tip: Book early to make sure you get a room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and our complimentary hot breakfast. We look forward to your return.
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 day stay at this hotel. I can,t begin to tell you how impressed i was with the cleanliness of the hotel and the service i received during my stay . I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in the area.

Room Tip: For me traveling alone my room wa excellent but I do know theyalso have family rooms as well and ext...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent visit to the Best Western Royal Brock Hotel and for taking the time to publish this positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and strive daily to insure the very utmost in customer service and product. Please visit us again next time you are in Guelph.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights just before Easter. The room was very nice, a good size and comfortable. However, we were on the 2nd floor and there was no luggage trolley available. This is where I had a problem. The very nice gentleman behind the desk said that the trolley had been stolen. THE trolley, implying that there was only one for the whole hotel. My question was why they had only ONE for the size of the hotel. Not a good thing.

My other question comes from the fact that he said, in explanation of the theft, that Guelph is a university town, implying that the trolley was taken by a student or students. Be that as it may, if the staff at this Best Western really believe that, I have 2 more questions.....1)Why have only one trolley? 2) Why not keep the trolley in a secure place behind the desk and give it to people as they need it? I really don't see a problem with that.

In their defense I will say that they offered us help to get our luggage up to our room but.....the porter would not be on duty until 6pm and we had arrived much earlier.

We were also advised on arrival that our room would not be cleaned on Good Friday (we arrived on Thursday) as the staff had the holiday. Clarification....the room was clean and ready for us when we arrived on Thursday.

Would I return to this hotel? Not likely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid review. I sincerely apologize for the comments made at our front desk in regards to the situation your encountered, it was not the place for any staff member to offer a subjective opinion to a guest. We apologize for not having a luggage cart available for you at the time of your visit, and have ameliorated the situation. Should you return to Guelph we do hope you give us another opportunity.