“Charming hotel with a nice breakfast buffet”
Review of Royal Brock Hotel

Royal Brock Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Only stayed for one night to see the Guelph Storm play but it was a nice hotel with a excellent bed. This hotel goes all out on their breakfast buffet. Convenient drive to downtown as well. Overall, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephen M
Ketan N, General Manager at Royal Brock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we are happy you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast buffet and our plush beds. Anytime you are in town for a Storm game be sure to stay with the Best Western in Guelph.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just to give people a up date, we went up on a summer trip thru Canada to Niagara Falls, we had joined the Best Western club, stay in their hotels, three times during a period of time and get a night free. Well we acturally stayed 4 nights, but 2 nights were at the same hotel, the hotels were all great, clean good service, and very nice rooms. Well you can't stay 2 nights in the same hotel as it only counts as one night, they didn't tell us that till we came home. We also stayed at the Best Western in Niagara falls, We requested a room with a view of the Falls, we paid $285. for a room plus we had to pay $10. to park in there lot. The manager of the hotel in Guelph made the room reservation for us, he also told them a room with a view of the falls, well we had a room with a view of the Tower, Ya hoo. got ripped off again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were on the first floor but felt we were in the bowels of the boat. Laundry room on our floor and the door was always open. The mattresses were new but of poor quality and you could feel the springs through it. Our neighbours didn't turn their alarm off for over 1 hour. We had to report it to the front desk. Bathroom was dated. It was clean though. Great location across from the university. The buffet breakfast was soso. I've had better. I won't be staying their again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Pros: clean, comfortable rooms, very good breakfast buffet (included), reasonably priced. Near U. of Guelph.

Cons: The breakfast buffet was overwhelmed one of the mornings we were there - the staff worked hard to deal with it but there were real gaps in availability of food, coffee, juice during the peak usage period (9 am Sunday morning).

We've stayed at another chain hotel in Guelph, and will choose this one again next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Best Western in Guelph for 1 night. I called the day before and got the CAA rate for a king bed extra large room . It had a cathedral ceiling, flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, pullout sofa bed, sitting area, dining table, large bathroom and included breakfast buffet (including scrambled eggs, pancakes etc), all for less than $130 (pre-tax)!! The front desk person warned me at check in that the night might be noisy because of wedding parties but we didn't hear a sound. The bed was really nice and the breakfast was adequate.
The hotel is right across the street from University of Guelph which is ideal for visiting students, and had ample parking. There is an outdoor pool, now closed for the season.

For the location and quality, the price can't be beat. I will definitely book here again!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I would have liked to give this place 3.5 stars. Pretty good deal for your $$. Very convenient if your destination is the U of Guelph, and for those who are not travelling by car, the Greyhound and Go bus stops are about a 10 minute level walk from the entrance to the hotel, on the U campus.

This is a very clean hotel. My room was spotless and fresh smelling. For the price I found it nicely up to date, large, bright, and well equipped, which was good for me as I had to be in Guelph for 4 nights. I booked through a travel website, and requested a cathedral ceiling (following the advice of other reviewers), a microwave in my room, and an extra blanket. I didn't get any of these things, but staff immediately offered to move me to another room after I found that the toilet in my room was very wobbly.

Things to know: their evening restaurant (the "Stone Lounge") is closed Sunday evenings (the day I arrived). The website doesn't say this, and it would have been nice to know in advance. But the Delta is across the street, should you find yourself in that situation, and I found their restaurant top notch. Another night I did go to the Stone Lounge but there was only one fellow working there and he was clearly responsible for the bar, the tables, taking orders, doing the cooking and serving, and room service. Needless to say it took a long time to get the meal and then the bill. This was not the server's fault; he should not have been the only person working. The prices were reasonable but the food was only ok.

An odd last story: I didn't know whether to laugh or be freaked out when, after walking up the Best Western's long and rather dark back driveway (the only way in to the hotel), I entered the lobby to find a horror movie playing full blast on the reception's flat screen. It was just me and the man at reception...this only happened this on the first night but it was a bit disconcerting - might discourage women traveling alone. Other than that, staff were welcoming and polite, and the one that helped me with my room change was great - a real pro (thanks Glen).

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper maybe avoid a room near the vending machine - you can hear people using i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the hotel as part of a sporting event. Securing the block group rate was done with ease and the hotel placed the entire team in a separate wing. The breakfast in the morning was a great addition, was hot, fairly diverse and convenient hours. The rooms have recently been renovated and are quite large. Beds are a bit soft, but overall very satisfied with our experience. Free wifi available. Only thing is that the layout of the hotel is a bit odd. For us to get around was easier done by going outside around the building than trying to do the maze inside around conference rooms. That is the only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Ketan N, General Manager at Royal Brock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review of the property. We enjoy accomodating all guests and work closely with groups to insure their needs are met. I concur the layout is slightly unusual but does add to the surrounding scenic landscape. We hope you select the Best Western Royal Brock for all your future reservations in Guelph.