“Pleasantly Surprised”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were a party of 3. Tried the soup of the day (beef vegetable) and it was very good. My husband had the bangers and mash. My daughter and I both had the Curried Chicken Pie as recommended by the waitress. It was very good. We ordered different sides (sweet potato and grilled vegetable), and both were both very plentiful.
Would definitely go again.

There are newer reviews for The Fat Duck Gastro Pub

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I recently moved to Guelph and as a big fan of pubs in general, I wanted to try out the local "gastro pub". After reviewing the menu online I was really looking forward to trying it out. Overall the experience was not bad but if I am honest I was let down, there is so much potential but they missed the target. I ordered the Scotch egg, I found the sausage meat bland but the sauces that came with it wonderful, and an Elk Burger that was dry as a bone. I know Elk meat is less fatty than beef but why serve it if you can't cook it properly? It was not all bad though, I sampled food from others in our group and was pleased with the pickle spears (freash, not from a frozen box) Fish and chips (great tartar sauce, not like anywhere else) and my personal favorite the Ruby Murry Beef Curry, which would have been the saving grace if not for the price (19$), there are quality Indian places that serve as good for under 15$. I will also point out they had daily specials on food/drinks that were fairly good, and their beer selection was good as well. Overall I wont say never go, I may even go back, but dont go in thinking this is some high end pub.

What I liked:
Unique Menu Items, fair variety
Beer Slection

What I didnt like:
Prices
Cooking Quality
Decor was a bit tired

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This pub/bar/restaurant is very popular with locals, and as other reviewers have said, the beer, snacks, and both indoor and outdoors tables are very nice. I went there with a friend for lunch recently, and we've both been there several times before too. My impression overall is declining. This time the smell of used cooking oil was quite strong when I entered the restaurant; there was nobody seating customers, despite the sign asking us to wait to be seated; and there are not many luncheon selections (no daily specials at all). The prices are on the high side too, especially for what one is served. I had the ploughman's lunch, which is a cold selection of Scotch eggs, vegetables, and a couple of slices of cheese. There is no comparison here with the much higher quality one finds in a pub in the UK. Of course, quality varies there too, but this is way down the scale. The Scotch eggs (a hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage and deep fried) were dry and not very fresh tasting. The rest of the lunch was fine, but it was only cheese, baked thin slices of bread, and veggies. It's hard to ruin that. The interior is dark; the bar area is small. Overall, perhaps sitting outside is more pleasant; I'll try that next time if I return. I think I would make an attempt to find another better lunch spot though; this one left me unsatisfied.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

My hubby and I are here often, we like the fact that there are a lot of organic and non GMO items on the menu.

Therenis a bar area and a diningroom area that can accommodate families. We were there tonight with our 4 month old and we were welcomed graciously. We got a table where the stroller wasn't blocking anyone. They also helped me with hot water to warm a bottle as well. Service was fast and excellent as always.

The menu has quite a range from the typical fish and chips to butter chicken and elk burger. They have variations on the good ole potato as well. Most of the options are clearly more of an upscale twist on traditional pub favourites. I've had all of the burgers on there and they are excellent, however the chicken one is a little thin. The beef burger is so big and delicious that I couldn't even finish it in one sitting while hungry and pregnant! Hubby has been happy with his choices too. Today he got the butter chicken. We are used to the real stuff at authentic Indian restaurants so we weren't blown away but for pub fare it was pretty good and portion size was huge too. Definitely worth the money. The most striking part of this menu though is how ingredients are as locally sourced as possible and their emphasis on organic and non GMO. This is unprecedented in pubs around here so it is appreciated. It is also well priced for what u get.

Beer and alcohol selection is typical of a local pub. Priced are average for beer.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I love this pub - it's one of my favourites in Guelph. The food is always delicious (WAY better nachos than Shakespeare Arms), and the servers are good at what they do and always very friendly. To the person who wrote the review below me - the fact that you got sick eating an undercooked burger is mostly your fault. Yes, the kitchen staff should be more attentive when cooking things like this, however - you are probably the only person I know who would continue eating a burger after seeing that it was pink inside. Not very smart!