“Good Food”

Ranked #1 of 127 Restaurants in Fort Erie
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We like to frequent Green Acres. The portions are generous and we always take home a doggie bag. Well worth the wait on a busy day.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

...for coming through for us when we needed to find a place to eat while in Fort Erie for a NEXUS interview appointment. The restaurant is located just a few minutes drive away from the border offices at Central Avenue. As recommended by some other reviewers, my husband and daughter had the fish and chips. The fish was fresh, not too heavily battered, and needless to say, delicious! Wanting to try something different, I went for the Canadian bacon burger which was somewhat overcooked and dry for me. All in all, it was a very good meal. Service was friendly and prompt; prices are very reasonable; portions are generous.
We'll be back for fish and chips.

1  Thank OakONResident
Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you are looking for good value and huge portions; then this is the place for you. It is a busy, bustling restaurant and has long wait lines from 5 pm onward. We had a group reservation and were thankfully able to sail past many other hungry hopeful diners. The service was fast and efficient. The food was tasty and down home comforting. The portions were oversized and provided enough for a second meal the next day. The decor is overdone and retro tacky....although I'm not sure they think it is retro. It is very cluttered; but there is always something to look at from every vantage point. Dinner for four adults came to $42.95 tax (and leftover bag) included.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Hubby and I are frugal funky-find foodies (as opposed to those who equate truffles and fois gras with being a "foodie"). We go on food vacations (lol), are working through the spots featured on Triple D and routinely use TA to find new/inexpensive places to explore. If you have ever driven 3 hours for pumpkin pancakes or gon to TO for BBQ duck from an Asian food court, you know what I'm talking about. Green Acres is funky, inexpensive and I find their fish and chips to be one of the best.

This place is not going to be on Food Network. A lot of their product is store bought and that is not what is in right now. They dont farm their veggies or raise their own meat. The chef hasnt won a James Beard and Michelin isnt going to be dropping off a star anytime soon. That being said, the stuff they do buy in is pretty good quality and (gasp) tasty. They also dont try to pass off their store bought items as "house made" like so many other places who add one or 2 "secret" items (salt is not a secret) and call it a "signature" item. From top to bottom this is a 40s/50s style family restaurant, using product/methods from the bygone era of frozen/boxed food. This does not mean it is bad! Consider it an authentic blast from the past and go with it.

They are known for their fish. The fish is haddock (order 1 or 2 pieces), the batter is light, crisp and ever so slightly greasy in a good way with a lemon wedge and tartar sauce. Fries are crisp and you get a ton. You can also get a bowl of gravy to dip, or go with ketchup and malt vinegar. Hubby likes the turkey dinner. Yes it is a pressed turkey breast which they roast and slice thick and serve with gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and stuffing. Since I've had plenty of dry as dirt "fresh turkey" from numerous restaurants, I can say in 10 years of eating here, hubby has never had a dry piece. I also know their mashed potatoes are in whole or part from a box. I dont know why I love them but on a day when I am feeling blue, 2 scoops with brown gravy are my ideal comfort food.

The interior looks like my grandmothers basement gone wrong. Wood panelled walls, decorative plates, fake plants and posters from Henry Major's "The Gay Philosopher" filled with little nuggets of wisdom. Its fun to wander and check out the wacky things they have tucked here and there. Embrace the weirdness.

Lastly, the staff have all been there for years. They are friendly, efficient and willing to make changes, substitutions and accomodations for even the pickiest person. I know, because thats me! Tip them well folks. They hustle like nobodys business to make sure those waiting for a seat get one without making you feel rushed.

So if you are looking for gourmet, go elsewere. If you are looking for all natural, organic, farm to table, low carbon foot print, etc, this isnt going to do it. If you are looking for simple, tasty food made from products you probably grew up with and with flavors as familiar as Tuesday night supper at grannys house (the average granny, not Yaya the scratch cooking food ninja) that you can enjoy without spending $50 a person, you know where to go.

1  Thank Annath70
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Had a party of 7, was a bit of a wait due to the number of people we had but we all enjoyed the food. Salad was fresh, fish and chips was one of the best I've had, everyone was happy. Servings were generous.