“paper thin walls”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Fort Erie
UK
“paper thin walls”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Good
-very close to the Border crossing
-nice beds and a good size room

-after a long drive, we asked the staff at the lobby for recommendation for supper, they informed up Wendy's was a block away.... its true there are a number of fast food places near by, but we struggled for 30 min trying to find a restaurant that had been closed. The area has been affected I guess by the recession. we stumbled across Rena's Place 1206 Dominion Road Fort Erie, ON L2A 1H5
friendly and good food. there are not many other options around there if you don't fancy fast food or a Chinese buffet.

The Bad
-it was not cheap. we arrived expecting our usual Howard Johnson experience... good hotel, free continental breakfast and plenty parking. what we found was your average off the main drag motel...... with a Howard Johnson name...

-the walls were paper thin. it was hard to sleep with the noise from the rooms around us. there TV and people up late.

- continental breakfast... at least Tim Hortons is next door and Mc Donalds up the road. because what they offer are a few breakfast items in a tiny lobby.

-parking was a pain. someone had a boat attached to a SUV in the lot which made turning narrow, then (I say this as a Harley owner) they let a Harley park on the pavement under stairs ... great that he had his bike outside of the room, but it was next door to ours and when he left at 4 am with a rather lough set of pipes... no one could have slept.

-I paid almost $120 for a night here, I think it I should have been changed no more than $70 given the lack of facilities and condition of the motel.

Room Tip: remember its a motel so no elevators. The rooms near the main road can be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I booked this Hotel as a stop on our motorcycle ride weekend; mostly for the location and the HOJO reputation. Sadly I was not impressed; the service was well below average. I think the " breakfast " is misleading in that they have some cereal in the small check in area, nothing was explained to us upon arrival as to what is available or when the office would open in the morning. Very disappointing for the price and reputation of Howard Johnson. The property appeared unkept and the room was dated. At the end of the day it was passable...I was not happy with the corner location of our room, in a dark back area near the staffing storage area....amenities were minimal to non existant. When we called the front desk to inquire about movie channels; the man at the front desk said he did not understand and hung up on my husband. I would not come back to this establisment nor recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Fort Erie hotels

Brantford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Convenient location next to the border. Staff was helpful. Basic room, quiet. Cleanliness of bathroom was good although small size. Don't know about the breakfast as I was gone before it began. For the price, good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Solotraveller_13
TORONTO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hi, I had booked 4 rooms for myself and a few friends who joined us to celebrate the new year at Niagra, Since this property was just 20 minute drive from Niagara, I booked it. Upon reaching the place, I understood that its just like any other MOTEL. Rooms were ok to stay, but there is no restaurant (breakfast - cereals and bread) was served in the reception (10x10 room) with no seating arrangement. I have stayed in various Ho Jo properties across the globe, but this was extremely disappointing for the price of 98 CAD per nite charges.

In all probabilities, I would not stay once again nor recommend anyone.
Badhri

#10 of 24 in Buffalo
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,746 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown
BEST WESTERN PLUS Galleria Inn & Suites

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Fort Erie? Share your experiences!