“Go if you're in the neighborhood”

The Wired Up Pugs Cafe Bistro
Ranked #9 of 328 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Cafe, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Check out the rich history of our lovely cottage!!!• From the earliest records procured from City hall, Cambridge, our cottage was allocated as a property in 1851.• From 1867 through 1862, Grand Ave S used to be West Main Street South. The owner of our cottage was Andrew Scott,who lived here with the first Lady of our cottage, Shiela and their lovely family.• From 1912 through 1920, we were 93, West Main South, East side and Jos Donaldson resided here with his lovelyfamily.• From 1920 through 1926, we were given our current street name, 93 Grand Ave S and Jos Donaldson still owned thecottage until 1938.• From 1938 through 1987, the cottage was owned by different owners F.J Sheppard, V. Cochrane, F. Jarvis, W. Dunn, C.Jarvis, J. Somerville and Vancont.• From 1991 through 2006, the cottage was owned by Law Photography Studio. From 2008 through 2012, the cottagewas owned by O'Keefe Cottage.And from 2012 to present-day, the cottage has been named as 'The Wired Up Pugs' Cafe-Bistro. Come meet the owners Vidushee and our innovative chef Amit!You will have a great experience with us and the food so good it will keep you coming back for more again andagain.....Come and relive the cottage and have a relaxing time right at the Grand river.Cheers!The Wired Up Pugs Team!
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Interesting, tasty and fresh Asian cuisine in an old stone house near the Southworks complex. Friendly and helpful staff. Worth going out of your way for a visit.

2  Thank Philip S
Vidushee S, General Manager at The Wired Up Pugs Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for your kind words promoting our little Global Fusion Bistro and since we depend completely on our patrons for a word of mouth style of sharing our passion with the world we greatly appreciate the support.
The Team @ The Pugs

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Everytime I come back to this place I leave happier and more fulfilled then the last. Please disregard the previous review. I have a sneaky suspicion he has suspect motives to be the only one to negatively review this absolute gem of a restaurant while casually name dropping another Cafe....It's not very often you can actually read pretentious, but he succeeded.
You can tell the chef has a passion for the food as its displayed in both presentation and taste. A very rare find in this day in age.

1  Thank Derek W
Vidushee S, Manager at The Wired Up Pugs Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Greetings!
Thank you for your kind words, and we are happy to know that you enjoyed our place and the food we prepared...Words of appreciation such as yours are what keeps us going, makes us want to be up in the morning and look forward to another day at our bistro hoping to serve all meals to the best of our capability, share a little bit of our feelings in all that we prepare.
Looking forward to having your company again.
Team @ The Pugs

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Sometimes restaurants serve bad food, whether by design or accident. This was a rare instance (for me), of dishonest food, and I am frankly shocked to see all of the positive reviews posted here.

I actually thought that this was a coffee shop, but it is a "bistro," and past the entryway is a smallish, L-shaped area for dining. Each table is set with wine glasses, filled with brash, rose-colored napkins, and covered in white table cloths; a strange, formal juxtaposition to the casualness of the chalk-board menu dominating the main wall.

My wife and I ordered two beers, nice F+M Pilsners, cold...and then it all went to hell. We were handed school-binders filled with printed pages of food. The impression is organic, hip, conscious fare with a touch of "fusion". We ordered the "Pear Haven" salad, and after being dissuaded by the owner/server away from a pita and red pepper humus appetizer (apparently because the tastes were too "similar" (!?)), we took his advice on the "Awesome Nachos".

While waiting, I saw a fish dish come out of the kitchen covered in, to my concern, those frozen peas and carrots that you can buy at any grocery store, or gas station. When our "Pear Haven" salad arrived, it was COVERED in, sure enough, said peas and carrots...the same peas and carrots my grandmother used to serve along with her SPAM. The salad was weighed and watered down with the steaming, processed veggies, underneath which was a smattering of chicken breast cubes (fresh? who knows), iceberg lettuce shards, some bagged baby spinach pieces, a couple of cherry tomatoes, and some sliced, warm pears (I thought they may have been from a can, my wife thought otherwise).

We picked and poked what was edible out of this FOURTEEN DOLLAR salad, after which the "awesome" nachos arrived. Stale, covered in small globs of tomato passata and the lightest dusting of shredded cheese, accompanied by a small container of sour cream topped with dry cupboard spices....thirteen bucks.

As I paid, I asked the owner/server why he had desecrated what may have been a serviceable, if overpriced, salad with such frozen vegetable filler. He DENIED that they were frozen vegetables, and stated that the "bistro" aims to use "seasonal" vegetables, thus carrots and "spring" peas for the winter. But, he stated, because of the recent storms in Ontario, he couldn't get the "organic" local produce he desired, so he had to bring in these vegetables from India, which, he again insisted were not frozen, but fresh....somehow...from India. I guess they painstakingly carved those fresh carrots down into the little drab cubes we all know so well.

Then it all clicked together. The owners have constructed the ILLUSION of an organic, hip, conscious bistro, allowing them to rake in the money while snowing their patrons. To be fair, the owner/server offered to take the salad off of my bill, but I declined (I have this urge of not wanting to be indebted to anyone...even if I've been wronged), and I even tipped five bucks, which in hindsight is total lunacy (goes straight to the owner...face palm).

Please owner/server (I know you read these), take that nineteen dollars, drive to New Hamburg, and have lunch at MeMe's Cafe for an idea of how to do this kind of thing. You may not make as much money, but it might help realign your karma. Also, to the lady at the table next to me who sadly looked down at her bowl full of uneaten peas and carrots (God knows what dish they were used to bulk up there), I feel your pain...check out MeMe's.

3  Thank KillandGrill
Vidushee S, Manager at The Wired Up Pugs Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Greetings!
Thank you for your reviews, we do appreciate all positive and negative criticism. We are a very small bistro and yes we do endeavour to do all that we can to keep all food preparations fresh to order, numerous customers have seen our kitchen and have observed us functioning that we do not have any freezers and we do pick up all our groceries our selves,
I do realise you are a great loyal clientèle to the other bistro that you are promoting at this review, that do put me at doubt of your intentions yet we do appreciate any comments made and personally respond to them.
We always ask whether our patrons enjoyed their meal and since we know that we are not the regular meat and potato kind of place with very different global fusion flavours, and it is kind of an eccentric décor and our way of the big chalkboard with specials that change, and we do yes give the menu in a binder as they change constantly due to baskets that we receive primarily local and at times specialities from various other locations around the globe, No doubt we had difficulties in our supplies due to weather conditions but those peas are winter sweet peas that are globally well known that are available in countries like India only for 30 - 45 days a year which greatly paired with Ontario pears and or our current wine sautéed vegetables in our fish special.
We have won numerous awards and have a small loyal patronage after a great deal of hard work and crossing hurdles such as 6 months of construction that have challenged us in more ways then we knew existed and we only request if your agenda was to promote another venue then we do hope that you do realise what the intent of your actions are.
We do at the same time hope you do remember that we did numerous times confirm whether you did enjoy your meal and both you and your wife along with your child stated that you did enjoy the meal, we at The Pugs would like to request you to do come by and give our venue another opportunity and an honest experience of the flavours we have to offer or we would like to offer you a full refund of your meal.
I do observe that this has been the only review on your profile and I was sincerely hoping to see a few more reviews but there were none hence I could not help but wonder, was it just promoting another venue or was it just my origin or etc. etc I wonder, coz the little pride I have after years of devoting my self being a chef or the hospitality industry or just simply trying to offer the best of what we had to offer, we do humbly request that if you do ever get an opportunity to write a review for a venue kindly do so with an honest intent and hopefully with the understanding as to the power of such media and the effect it may have on an honest individual's efforts that may have been involved.
We at the Wired Up Pugs once again appreciates your comments and do apologise for your experience as well as if any part of our response may have offended you in any manner.
We do humbly once again wish (me especially) if you shall accept the refund to your meal.
Team @ The Wired Up Pugs Cafe - Bistro

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been incredibly happy with everything I've ordered at the Wired Up Pugs! Over several visits I've tried many dishes from the menu as well as the daily specials, and everything is prepared fresh and obviously made with love. The chef/owner and all of the staff members are incredibly warm and welcoming.
HUGE recommendation for the mango/coconut dessert (Thai surprise, maybe?). It is INCREDIBLE!

Now that the theatre is open across the street, it's definitely a good idea to make a reservation as there isn't a lot of seating inside.

2  Thank CambridgeNom
Vidushee S, Owner at The Wired Up Pugs Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Greetings!
Thank you for the amazing appreciation, its all the support that makes everything worthit

Thanks Once again
Team @ The Pugs

Reviewed September 25, 2013

After cycling on the Paris to Cambridge bike trail we had lunch at this bistro. 5 minutes from the trail parking. A huge variety of specials are beautifully printed on the restaurant's blackboard. I chose a panini from the menu. Every item on the menu is carefully prepared with fresh, healthy ingredients. The squash soup was excellent and the mixture of ingredients was a wonderful experience. You wait 30 minutes for your meal but it is definitely not fast food. It is skillfully and carefully prepared. You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank jlondon7
Vidushee S, General Manager at The Wired Up Pugs Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2014

Greetings!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank the two of you for a wonderful review and we look forward to serving you again
The Team @ The Pugs