“Not family friendly...”

Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I decided to take advantage of the hotels Africian Lion Safari promotion and take my two girls, 8 and 10, to see the park and spend the night in a hotel.

Upon checkin I was informed that the hotel had many ammenities to offer families from in room movies and popcorn and pizza and a restaurant with a famiky friendly menu. My girlsmwere excited to say the least however our experience in the restaurant completely soured it.

We received a meal as part of the package and chose to have dinner in The Bruce. The restaurant was fairly quiet with not many others dining at that time however with the table we were placed at myself and my two girls were able to hear, very clearly, vulger language coming from the kitchen. I can only assume it was coming from a hotel employee.

As a hotel who calls itself family friendly I find this very offensive and have to wonder if the family friendly message was passed along to the staff. The language my young children heard was NOT family appropriate.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
heinzlipp, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent comment on Trip advisor. Here at the Cambridge Hotel we strive to provide excellent guest service at all times and to respond to guest concerns immediately. I am disappointed to learn of your unfortunate visit to our restaurant and would like to stress this is not the type behaviour we condone at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies and be assured that your concerns have been addressed immediately. We do take pride in our family friendly moniker and thank you again for taking the time, as it is through honest feedback that we can improve.

There are newer reviews for Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed August 22, 2010

The service we experienced was great. There was a lot of space in the room. The location was perfect. I really enjoy a hotel that carries hotel packages to help save money. We had the Lion Safari package which really came in handy because we did want to go to the park and also stay a night.

It was really convenient that the restaurant was open until 12 am because my partner and I were really cut for time and made it for dinner at 10:30pm.

What I didn't like about the hotel is that it didn't have a swimming pool or hot tub.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My husband and I, along with his two grandchildren, ages 8 and 3, stayed at the Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre on August 14th, for the night. We purchased the African Lion Safari package and I have to say, what an Amazing deal!! We highly recommend doing this with your family.

For 186$ (price includes tax's) we received, 4 passes into African Lion Safari, a 25$ dinner voucher, a free family movie in the room, and a 4 person complimentary, (exceptionally good), buffet breakfast the next morning! It is so nice to be able to stay somewhere that offers an amazing deal, with no surprises and added expenses at the end of your stay.

The staff at the hotel could not have been more friendly and lovely. I wish I got our server's name from the dinner that night, because she deserves a huge thank-you from us, and her manager needs to know what wonderful service she provided!! The kids were hungry and tired after their long day at the Safari, and this wonderful ( mature, English woman, a grandmother herself) server made sure the meals for the kids were served up hot and fast. She was so understanding and pleasant to speak to, both my husband and I were grateful for all her service! A HUGE thank-you to her!! BTW, the food at dinner was truly wonderful too!!

The hotel is located right off of the second exit ( west bound from Toronto) from the 401.....very convenient! It's about a 20 minute drive to the African Lion Safari from the hotel. The rooms were super clean, super accommodating and super comfortable. They were standard guest rooms with two queen beds, and everything was up to date, and well equipped.

We would come back to this hotel without any hesitation. In fact, my husband and I are thinking of coming back on our own for a nice get away weekend. There is a lot of great shopping in the hotel's neighbourhood, factory outlets ect....I highly recommend the African Lion Safari Family package the Cambridge Hotel offers!!

We look forward to frequenting this new found gem!! Thanks to the staff once again, both in the restaurant and at the front desk!! Everyone was so helpful and always smiling!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We had just spent six days in the wild of Northern Ontario (Shining Tree). We were dressed down (wind pants, t-shirt, and sandals. We probably didn't smell all that pleasant due to wood fires and deet for a week. Sure we bathed but our clothes took on the smell of our area of stay. We were smart enough to seal nice clothing in plastic bags to prevent them from stinking.

I figured they would check us in and want nothing to do with us. That wasn't the case. They answered all my questions with an honest smile. They were the friendliest staff I have ever encountered. When I needed something they were quick to bring it.

Their restaurant was modern and very clean. The food was affordable and the service was excellent. Most places that have a lot of out of town visitors don't care if you like them or not. Our waitress was on top of everything and we didn't have to wait for refills.

The rooms were very clean and up to date. The desk was very big and the wireless internet was user friendly. The beds were better than most and I had an excellent night of sleeping. The water pressure was also above average. I don't have one complaint about our room.

When a family of 4 stay at a hotel and eat at the restaurant they are almost guaranteed to get bad or subpar service. My expectations were shot down instantly. I look forward to staying at this hotel again. There is no pool but the service, cleanliness, comfort and size of rooms are worth any price charged.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
CAMBRIDGEGM, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

Dear Brownsfan1111,

Thank you for submitting a review. I was pleased to read that we provided you a great place to relax and pamper yourselves after spending a week in the beautiful wilds of Ontario. (Had we known you were a Browns fan though…) I hope we are able to pamper you and your family again in the future.

Tim Ostrem

Reviewed July 28, 2010

We bought the African Lion Safari package for 1 night - Total inlc tax C$186.45. 4 tickets to the safari, $25 gift certificate for dinner and complimentary breakfast. The hotel is very clean and staff are very courteous. Loved it there.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed in the hotel overnight with the African Lion Safari Package. It was a great deal! We got 2 meals, a family movie and 4 tickets to the Safari! The hotel staff were incredibly good/nice/helpful. The one meal we were able to eat either through room service or in the restaurant. The room service prices were reasonable. The food was great and the breakfast buffet was perfect. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who asked. The only 2 downsides were that the pillows aren't great and they don't have a pool.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
heinzlipp, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Dear jjallen76
Thank you very much for submitting your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are proud to have such great staff here who truly care for the well beiing of our Guests at all times .We are always striving to improve and will certainly consider your comment about the pillows. I hope we will welcome you back soon at our Hotel.
Heinz Lipp

Reviewed July 24, 2010

The hotel was clean and comfortable and excellent value. The best part, however, was the restaurant. Our waitress Charlotte is a true asset for the hotel. Perfect, friendly service - she made us feel at home. It was a especially nice to find such a wide choice on the menu since we were an eclectic mix at dinner. I really appreciated the very creative vegan dishes. There were also interesting choices for the non-vegans - from comfort food to gourmet entrees - all at a very reasonable price and delicious.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family