“Great food ... meh service.”
Review of The Gator's Tail

The Gator's Tail
Ranked #47 of 316 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
“Great food ... meh service.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Today's visit to this restaurant was my fourth in the last 6 months. My niece took me the first time promising that I would love their burger - it IS fantastic! We've also tried other menu items and really have not been disappointed with any of our choices. The food is really good but I wish the service was better. Each visit has been during slow times in the restaurant, usually between 2pm and 4pm, so I don't understand why our servers have always messed something up with our orders. My first visit was the only one where the waitress got everything right. On another occasion, one of us was served a chicken wrap ordered by a different table and those people got the wrap we had ordered. The waitress was hardly apologetic. I guess since they were both made with chicken (one grilled, one deep fried) that it wasn't such a big deal. As for today's visit, we were the only ones seated in the dining area while some others were seated in the bar area. Our server forgot our appetizer so we ended up having it after our meals. I would hate to see how overwhelmed these waitresses would be if they had a large crowd to serve.
I will stress again, Gator's Tail has a great burger. I know now that it is clearly one of the only reasons I go back to this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Colbert_Chick

Cambridge, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place for Wings or Fish and Chips”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went with my wife and kids. Kids at free and I had some of the best Fish and Chips I have had in a while. My wife had the wings and thought they were good. Im going to come back for their next Yuk Yuks Comedy night that happens every couple of weeks.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank BobbyG67
Cambridge, Ontario
“Will not go back”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We went here when it was Shoeless Joe's and we weren't impressed then either. However, we decided to give it a try, as we had a coupon. The food was blasé at best. The booth we were seated at had ripped covering and the noise level was terrible. The waitress forgot what our order was and when it did finally come, it was cool and greasy. Not at all impressed!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tombow
Cambridge, Canada
“Great meal, subpar service”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The food at the Gator's Tail is definitely better than I expected. Based on the decor (which isn't BAD, but doesn't really scream "classy") I expected pub food and nothing more. I ordered the Gator Bait (Cajun-stye catfish with choice of sides) and was pleasantly surprised - the fish was cooked perfectly. My fellow diners has the goat cheese and portobello burger and the ribs. The ribs were cooked well, but the sauce was weirdly sweet. The burger was really good, nice sized patty, very well cooked, and a great bun! The side dishes (we had regular fries and sweet potato fries) were all fine, if a little heavily salted. The real surprise was the veggies! Normally you'd expect something cooked from a frozen mix that feels like mush and somehow all tastes identical, but these veggies were great! Carrots and cauliflower cooked nicely, and even seasoned!

The service wasn't great, we waited for almost 5 minutes to get a table - and not because it was busy but because there were no staff members in sight. Table service was alright, but we did spend quite a bit of time with empty glasses because we couldn't find our server, or any server for that matter.

Overall, we all decided that we would definitely eat at the Gator's Tail again, and just keep our fingers crossed that the service will continue to improve.

• Visited September 2013
“More than expected!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is beyond tasty!!
The owner has been a server for years before in a few restaurants. She worked at the location the restaurant is currently in when it was Crabby Joes. That closed & she (and her hubby) took on the venture of launching their own restaurant. SUCCESS!!!! Cajun inspired cuisine with a pub twist.
Have been there twice now and NEVER disappointed. The first time I had the fish & chips, which was 1 huge piece of fish and a mound of fresh cut fries. They make almost everything fresh & from scratch. No premade or partially cooked & frozen here folks!!
The second visit was for the Yuk Yuks! Comedy Night - this consisted of a pre set menu with 3 courses. The first course I had was a potato bacon soup - Stunning!!! LOL Was just a taste and wish there was more. So silky and the flavours were amazing. The main course I had was their blue cheese burger - I love blue cheese. Was sticky, messy, and full of goodness! The bun was lightly toasted and the perfect vessel for the burger. Dessert was the last perfect finisher. Peanut butter tart. She was the first to admit dessert isn't her strong point, but let me tell you, it was perfection on a plate!
If you are in the area, passing by, or looking for a great meal you have to come here!!!

• Visited July 2013