“Very good overall - Worth a return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Montys Social - CLOSED

Montys Social
Cuisines: Gastropub, American, Pizza, Mediterranean, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Kitchener, Canada
“Very good overall - Worth a return visit”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

New to the area we didn't know there was a real Tapas place in the region. That will teach me to include Cambridge in my searches.

We went with the $35 Chef tapas. Just the right amount of food, we would rather quality than quantity and we were not disappointed. The plates are spaced out perfectly to enjoy your evening while you wait for the next course. We never felt rushed the whole night. The only regret was not finishing the soup, it was very good but we didn't know how many courses were to follow.

They told me they just moved from a smaller location (30 seats) to the larger venue (100 seats). I felt sorry for them, all that work and they should have moved to somewhere bigger as there was always a steady stream of people walking in, some walking out because there were no tables.

I called for reservations and the table they provided was private even though we were in a high traffic area. It was a good experience. The best seat in the house seems to be the private alcove for a group of 4-6 people.

The building is old but they did a great job of utilizing the stone walls and original floors.

The service was very good and everyone was friendly and knowledgeable.

Two things I would change. Cloth napkins might be a good touch and more variety on the red bottle wine list. All but 2 bottles seemed to be Cabernet Sauvignon. On the other hand the bottle we got was really good (Malbec).

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank shubsens

Mississauga, Canada
“Wedding Reception”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We attended a wedding reception and it was awesome! The food was fantastic...the staff awesome....bartender amazing!! The ambience was great! We will definitely go back there for dinner!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Vicki B
Cambridge, Canada
“Good service, great food and exceptional value.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went here on a weeknight, was nice and quiet. We went with the option of the $35 each and "the chef feeds you". Turned out to be an eight course meal with each meal being very different from your regular Canadian restaurant. The new locations setting is in a 120 year old building adding to the great ambience (if you book you may also get the alcove). The personal service from the owner was brilliant and the import tap beer was beautiful. Looking forward to returning.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Reuben542
Los Angeles, CA
“Still amazing, despite roadblocks”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

New Montys is like a bigger version of the original I loved so much. I came in on the night their talented but jerk of a chef quit, with no notice, on a Saturday packed with people.

Food came out a bit slower than usual, the quality is still amazing and the now frazzled, amazing staff and ownership kept the train running.

Still my favorite restaurant on earth.

1 Thank N1120A
Cambridge, Canada
“GREAT NEW SPOT!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Montys may not be for the average joe! and thank goodness... I was out for dinner with a group of friends on Saturday, and after discussing where we should go we checked urbanspoon and trip advisor to see where a good new spot in Cambridge might be. One review caught my attention, no kids... I said we have to go. I am not against children, I have a couple of my own, but the last thing I want on a night out is to see other peoples kids. That's what boston pizza or any other chain along the strip is for.
We had the chefs choice, 6 or 7 rounds of great tapas, I'm still not sure what tapas is? but the food was incredible, not what we expected at all in a great way.
I was told by our server (whom was dressed like a real person, not a glamorized young woman in a short skirt) that everything was made in house. Breads, sauces, soups, etc. The soup was refreshing (was a squash/pumpkin something) and I wanted a straw to slurp it up it was so good.

The decor was rustic and sophisticated at the same time, definitely an enviroment suited for adults. We shared a couple of bottles of red wine and the wine pricing was more than fair, We had a Silver Oak to start and further followed by a less expensive bottle recommended by the bartender that complimented the food well.
One thing that we noticed was no TV's. I don't remember the last time I was out to eat without them. I asked if they were going to be added later and the server said "as a matter of fact no, we encourge talking to your dates, not staring at bowling on TV". I laughed and enjoyed the sass.

Our bill was a little more than the Keg pricing however this place gave us the option to share a great $200 bottle of wine and the food was made to order.

• Visited January 2013