“Ewww... This is really a holiday inn?”

Sunbridge Hotel & Conference Centre Cambridge
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Where do I begin? This hotel is in desperate need of a huge makeover. The rooms are in terrible shape. They are dirty, run down and gross. The toilet seat was stained, chipped and disgusting. The toilet bowl was not properly cleaned. The furniture is badly stained and worn. The wallpaper is falling apart. DO NOT come to this hotel looking for any type of luxury. I am strongly considering contacting Holiday Inn to complain. This hotel should not be carrying this brand.

Also, the hotel is 'motel style' and it can take forever to walk to you room. Beware!!

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton down the street.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank netgeek
There are newer reviews for Sunbridge Hotel & Conference Centre Cambridge

Reviewed April 15, 2011

The room was clean. The price was reasonable. Indoor pool, hot tub and sauna are nice. The workout facility has the oldest treadmills I've ever seen but they have free weights and other machines which is more than most Holiday Inn's I've been to.
The bar/restaurant is medium sized but comfortable. They had a good breakfast and the dinner menu was decent.
Overall the staff was great, friendly and made you feel welcome.

My only complaint was that the rooms were a bit dated and the wall heater only had two settings, heat or AC. The first night I stayed there I left the heat on and was up in the middle of the night sweating and dehydrated. Because of that I was forced to turn it off at night and it was very cold by morning.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We arrived prior to check in and they didn't even mention it, just gave us our keys! Staff was great. Indoor Pool and rooms were very clean. We didn't make it to the outside pool. The tennis court and basketball courts are run down and not usable. I walked around the inside of the fence with my kids to let them use up some energy but it didn't last long because it has been years since it has been cleaned so we walked the grounds instead. The resturant is nice but not really toddler friendly. Room Service is fast and food was still hot. This worked out great with the African Lion Safari Package. We will be going again soon!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I got this hotel on priceline and was admittedly dreading it based on the reviews I read here. But our room was decently furnished, updated, and pleasant, and the bed was very comfortable. (In doing my routine bedbug check, I noticed that the matress is a plush-top Tempurpedic--very nice!)

Now my one significant complaint is that there were children running down the halls and no parents in sight, but of course I realize that's more the fault of the parents than the hotel. That said, this may not be the best place for child-free couples, and it may not be the best place for those who want to sleep late. (We rolled in around 3 a.m. from Toronto and got a late check-out so that we could sleep in. Not exactly possible here.)

That said, if you've got children and you're not looking for a luxury hotel, this Holiday Inn will do just fine.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Just came back from staying there for 5 days. It's not the worst but you can do much in the area. First they still have smoking rooms that seem to let the smoke linger in the rest of the building. The building itself was a motel that Holiday bought because I've been in many Holiday Inn's and this isn't standard. As one review said that the staff made the difference. I would say the front desk made the stay worth it. The restaurant is average to below at best. Service is slow and their menu isn't much to talk about. The rooms are ok but the wireless is slow and the bathroom set up is strange. In order to use the bathroom you have to shut the door which narrowly misses the toilet. It's like a bathroom in a closet. Again if you staying in the area I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Cambridge along with several other members of our youth basketball team and their families. The Holiday Inn was the host hotel for the Cambridge Centaurs tournament in which we were participants, which is why we selected this property for our stay.

First off, I want to say that the staff here were efficient, friendly (genuinely so), and extremely capable. They were also very gracious about having groups of sports teams as their guests, which often is not the case. Every request was handled with care and their eagerness to please was evident. From a staff perspective, the hotel would most definitely rate at the highest level.

For the physical building: the hotel is older and two-story. We were assigned to the second floor, and had to haul our luggage up the stairs as there is no elevator. I was thankful that we had relatively little to transfer from the car to the room, as this could potentially be a rather difficult process.

Upon entering, the stairwell hallway had a very potent perfume/deoderizor odor. The smell literally hung in the air. Thankfully, it did not seem to permeate the room.

The hotel allows smoking in some rooms, and you could smell the stench of cigarette smoke in the hallways of the second floor. Again, the odor didn't find its way into our room (thank goodness), but it was unpleasant for us non-smokers when moving about the hotel. I'm guessing the heavy deoderizor is in place to help mask the smell caused by the smoking rooms.

The two beds in the room were doubles, which we found very small and rather cramped. Three of the four of us had difficulty sleeping all night, but I'm not sure whether the beds themselves were uncomfortable or whether we were just too squished up to sleep soundly.

We had an "extended stay" suite which included a fridge and microwave, both nice amenities to have. Regular rooms (which many of our team mates had booked) did not have these perks.

The bathroom was uncomfortably small and showing its age. The heated floor was great (particularly in the middle of winter), but sadly that's the only positive I can say about the bathroom. We have big guys in our family (basketball players are generally not small individuals) so the running joke was that they either had to walk in and back out, or back in and walk out when choosing to use the loo. It seemed so cramped in there that I chose to blowdry my hair in the morning in the room itself (thankfully, there was a nice big mirror on the wall next to the window to faciliate this). At least this way, I wasn't going to fall over the toilet or bang my elbows on the door.

The room itself was clean and well maintained with an older decor.

One nice perk that we did appreciate was the ability to add on unlimited calling within North America for $5.00 per night. We gladly added the charge to the room when we checked in, and definitely got our money's worth by calling home multiple times to update friends and family on how our team was faring in the basketball tournament. Saved us a great deal of money over using our cell phones.

I, personally, did not swim, however the boys reported the pool to be adequate and the hot tub to be a good temperature. Would be nice if the pool was open beyond 10 p.m. on a weekend, though.

We were pleased that the hotel was reasonably quiet, despite the fact that multiple tournament teams were staying there that weekend. We had expected there might be some rowdiness in the hallways, but other guests caused us no grief whatsoever. Perhaps their players were as tired as ours were, and had no energy left for mischief making. Or, the hotel staff did a great job at curbing some of the shenanigans which may have otherwised spiralled out of control. Either way, the absence of noise in the evening was appreciated very much.

Overall, it wasn't a "bad" stay, but neither did it knock our socks off. I think if we were to revisit the Cambridge area in the future, we would look for another property that offers "more"....preferably less cramped quarters with larger beds.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed December 13, 2009

The staff were great, helpful, and all smiles. And the food was assume. Great place and people.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Best Western Plus Cambridge Hotel
Kitchener Inn and Suites
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#2 of 14 in Kitchener
Travelodge Cambridge - Waterloo

Been to Sunbridge Hotel & Conference Centre Cambridge? Share your experiences!