“Wonderfully relaxing, tantalizing cuisine”

and 1 more site!
Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Hamilton, Canada
“Wonderfully relaxing, tantalizing cuisine”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

48 hours is enough time to completely unwind and feel rejuvenated. We started our retreat with the Family Day casual lunch where we enjoyed second helpings of the many tasty salads, the delicious home-made bread and other more hearty fare. A stroll along the snow covered trails, followed by a sleigh ride provided sufficient exercise to work up an appetite for dinner. Two of the three of us were thoroughly impressed with the cuisine our first night. "I didn't know food could taste this good" remarked my 14 year old. While I wouldn't say the lamb sirloin was the most tender I've ever had and the coconut custard was a square of tasteless gelatin, these were the only dinner mis-steps.

Otherwise, the food is gastronomic paradise.

The thoughtfulness and quality of the food is evident in every meal. Who knew lowly scrambled eggs could be worthy of five stars. And while we looked forward to having them for our second breakfast, we weren't the least bit perturbed when a bread pudding (from home-made croissants, local bacon and leeks) provided the savoury start to our day. Five stars for the breakfast buffet and service - thank you!

A morning spent cross country skiing followed by an afternoon of pampering at the spa and a blissful time reading in our room in front of our own wood burning fire was just the right amount of downtime for us to summon the energy to dress for dinner the second night. This time, everyone loved their dishes, the beautiful way in which they're presented and the subtleness of the flavours.

Staff were helpful, available when needed and personable. Thank you.

A deliriously decadent way to spend two days.

Room Tip: Hotel guest paradise - large well-designed rooms with lots of thoughtfully placed drawers and lights...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JWlovesluxury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2014

After receiving a gift certificate for a night's stay, dinner and breakfast well over a year ago, we finally had a chance to go, and it was the week before Valentines so it was perfect. A great time to use the gift. I was very impressed with how short a drive it really was from Toronto and how beautiful the grounds are even in the dead of the worst winter I can remember. So this was quite a treat. It is super romantic and you feel like you are away on a vacation. Crackling fire places roaring everywhere and the place is oozing of charm and character. The staff are very nice and pleasant, not to mention attentive and we loved everything from our check-in until dinner. We upgraded from an out building to a two story attic room with a fireplace, which really made it seem like we were on a much nicer - longer vacation. After checking in, a very short stroll because it was so cold out, a game of pool and a drink then we had to get ready for dinner. No time for a spa or gym on this relaxing early Valentines night out. My wife lingered in the expansive tub and I played my guitar and took my time getting ready. It was a very comfortable room.
The whole dining area is nice and we liked our placement, but I have to say I was disappointed in the dinner. I had the lamb and can't remember what my wife had, but we had both had much better even at home, never mind out. The atmosphere was good and the service very good. I was ok impressed with the wine list and cheese tray dessert. Again not sure what my wife had for dessert but she did not like it. Glad we weren't paying for it. Back for another game of pool by the fireplace then up to our room where we lit the fire that was ready to go there, and totally relaxed with a nice drink of Oban that we had brought along and watched some olympics. We didn't spend too long on the olympics because it was our early Valentines gift to each other and the place is very romantic. Brunch was really nice and scenic and sadly it was time to go. If we were to return I would go in mid-summer, hopefully be able to really enjoy the grounds and the pool and all the other things this place has to offer. There was snowshoeing and cross country skiing available but it was way too cold and we just didn't allow for enough time. A very nice place to escape to. It is no bargain that is for sure, but if you have the time and money and want to get away without really getting away, I would recommend you give this place a try as a romantic getaway, conference or even a gift for someone you really like.

Room Tip: If you go in the winter try and stay in the main lodge, I'm sure in the summer in wouldn't m...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EasyRider54
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is one of our favourite places in the Southern Ontario area. It truly is a retreat and little bit of an escape even though you are close to the city. We have been here several times and each time it is as enjoyable as the last. They have a new chef in the kitchen and that is a good thing as the meal we had was very enjoyable.

We did the spa dinner package this time and the spa as well is wonderful. We have stayed in all 3 parts - the main house, the stables, and the cloister rooms. The beds are wonderful, each room with fireplaces, nice bathrooms, cosy robes and lovely bathtubs.

Not much more to say that others haven't.
Overall just a wonderful experience every time we are there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Oxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

As promised in the last review, we did go back.

We knew that there had been a change of chef and so we're looking forward to seeing if there had been a change of direction in the kitchen; thankfully there has!

Flavour has returned to compliment the excellently cooked, presented and served food. The menu has changed too; not dramatically but enough to show that the kitchen has got its feet back on the ground. We are hopeful that the Relais inspectors agree with us.

Great breakfast, but the strange charging system that penalises the guest on a "package deal" if they dare to stray from the set offerings needs review (abolition?)

Our Cloister room was as clean and comfortable as ever, although the smell of woodsmoke that pervades has moved up from faint to invasive, even though we did not light the log fire in the lovely fireplace.

All in all, a great stay, thank you all; we will be back yet again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

-What aspect of Langdon Hall did I enjoy the most?....
This is not my first visit, I love the whole package that you receive at Langdon - I was attending the Banks/ McGuin wedding and had a wonderful time- your staff is awesome, was only sad that I did not have enough time to use the spa which I have in the past

-How did Langdon Hall compare to my best hotel experience?....
Top 10 of my experiences. I have stayed at the Waldorf New York & the St. Regis properties as both my partner and I work for the hotel industry, he Starwood and myself Hilton. The friendly smiles and hospitality in your gorgeous setting really work well for us.

What went above and beyond our experience to make our stay more enjoyable?....
Front Office, all of the staff - especially the Assistant Front office Manager - was lovely. All of the service and Kitchen staff who did an outstanding job with the wedding for our friends. I had the pleasure to meet the owner in the tunnel below between going to the cloisters house and the main house - she was lovely. I love the Langdon Dogs - makes you feel like you are at home.

Each time I have stayed at Langdon, you have always met my expecations and the great staff, choice of rooms and amenities in the rooms are great - just keep doing what you are doing - great job everyone!

I plan to come back in December as I will be celebrating my 25th anniversay with my partner Walter, couldn't think of a better place to do so.

ps- The food is amazing here and so is the service!!

Room Tip: All rooms in this hotel, the main house, the stables, the cloister rooms are all beautiful and uniqu...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Imagine a get-away, 45 minutes from Toronto, where - as soon as you drive onto the property, it's as though you entered a completely different zone. A zone that makes you light hearted and peaceful….OK, so to specifics: we had a room in the Cloisters which was excellent - spacious, fireplace - seriously well appointed with clean lines. Understated and elegant. Staff are terrific, caring, helpful.

Room Tip: You could have rooms in Main Building, or The Cloisters. The latter required a short walk outside t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geetap
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My party of eight stayed at Langdon Hall for one night shortly after Christmas 2013, and had the seven-course tasting menu with wine pairings ($220 + tax + tip each). Overall the experience was very disappointing. Not one dish stood out as memorable or exceptional. Several people in my party had visited Langdon Hall multiple times before, and told me that the quality was previously much higher. Service from the waitstaff was friendly, though the majority of dishes were served without any explanation of ingredients or preparation. We found the pacing to be far too slow, taking over three and a half hours. The dinner, despite being seven courses (plus dessert), was too small. We were all hungry at the end and had to order sandwiches to our room. Of course, we were charged an arm and a leg for that food as well.

We were not overly impressed with the wine pairings, either. The sommelier was polite and friendly, but did not have much to say that added to the experience. The wines were poured at strange intervals. A northern Italian wine ran out before it could be served to all guests; I will also mention that this wine was poured from a half-full bottle that was not opened for our table. After it ran out, this Italian wine was replaced with a local wine from St. Catharines, Ontario.

Aside from the disappointing food experience, our stay in the Langdon Hall itself was very enjoyable. The staff are friendly and competent, and the Hall feels like a large country home where we are guests of the estate, not at all like a corporate hotel. The walking trails are lovely (though slippery due to the recent ice storm - be careful!) and the hotel rooms in the Cloister were lovely. We enjoyed having a fireplace in each room, though we did run out of wood. It is too bad the food and drink were not up to Landon Hall's previous reputation, as this would have easily been a 5-star rating in that case.

Breakfast was delicious and the leek croissant pudding is to die for.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
19 Thank Kenojuak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cambridge-Waterloo, Ontario
Best Western Plus Cambridge Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Cambridge / Kitchener
Hilton Garden Inn Kitchener
Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre
Kitchener Inn and Suites
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#1 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!