“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, Canada
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Top-notch facility, I can't believe I was still in Cambridge. The grounds are amazing.

I was in the Cloister king bed room (#40) and it was awesome...probably the best rooms I've ever stayed in...makes a Hilton look like a Motel 6.

We ate in Wilkes Bar for dinner and it was casual yet classy and the food was excellent (chicken schnitzel with Chicory Walnut appy), and in the morning had the "Breakfast Table" (basically a buffet) and I'd say it was easily one of the best breakfasts I've had on the road anywhere...every item on the table seemed very smart choices and the quality of the food was very high.

Worth the money, absolutely recommended - I WILL be returning to this property again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Langdon Hall will welcome you before you even arrive; the entrance, a few kilometers from the main building, will have you drive through a winding forest road, with magnificent views, so when you finally arrive at the property, you will surrender to its splendor. Inside, vestiges from the past, inside a mansion that will provide you with serenity. Time sleeps there. And you get an unusual gift: kilometers of walking trails through the forests, perfectly marked, civilized to a minimum. A swimming pool hidden into the woods. A vegetable garden from a picture book.

And then, at night, a surprise; a restaurant, like few others, serves the finest ingredients in creative arrangements, with the signature of the house: edible flowers everywhere. And you understand that, what you saw in the vegetable garden earlier in the day, is now on your plate, keeping proud company to the best vegetables, meats or fishes on your table. The picture book is now ... you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service. We had the tasting menu ($125). The dishes were varied with some being more successful than others. I don't understand the dandelion purée that was added to one dish. It has no redeeming qualities.

Overall the experience was positive but I must admit I had expected to be more impressed with the food based upon the reviews and the price.

• Stayed September 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Lovely hotel to relax and unwind. Truly lives up to the Relais & Chateau standards of service. Have to remind yourself you actually are in Cambridge, Ontario and not Cambridge, England. The cloister king size room (#18) with the walk out terrace is spacious, clean and a great room to bring your dog.
We enjoyed lunch on the terrace, an afternoon at the spa and pool. The spa service (manicure and massage) was heavenly and the service was exceptional. We had dinner in the main dining room and the food was presented well and tasted great. Breakfast in the dining room provided plenty of choices and the warm croissants were amazing. If you decide to do some walking in the trails behind the hotel, bring your own bug spray, as the ones they had available before you walk on the trails were empty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
langdon1898, Public Relations Manager at Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear YYZ-LHR

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review on your recent stay with us. We are so pleased that you were able to take full advantage of our amenities. Thank you for letting us know about the bug spray, we have replenished our supply at our trailhead.

We do look forward to welcoming you back.

Jessica Pearce,

Public Relations Manager
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Good: The house itself is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and decorated with gorgeous gardens. The staff are exceptionally helpful and sweet. The women at the front desk were great, our wait staff, valets - only one waitress at the breakfast on our day of departure was a little flat. Overall the staff truly make the experience. Chilled water bottles by the bedside at night with chocolates on the pillows, chilled water in your vehicle waiting for you when you use the valet service. Beautiful gardens, nice atmosphere - rooms are also lovely. Unscented bath salts by the large tubs were very appreciated (other bath products were heavily scented and smelled horrible)

The Bad: The food stinks, I'm sorry I just can't sugar coat it. I had some of the worst food I've ever tasted while dining here and I was overcharged for a syrupy glass of "wine" $17 that I didn't even drink! I had mentioned at the time I didn't care for it and they just shrugged and asked how the food was. Really? Disappointing considering we booked this place based on the reviews of the food. The large BBQ going on suggested a laid back attire and we were excited to partake in the delicious spread - however we were informed you had to purchase tickets to that event months in advance. It looked much better than what we had dined on, pretty food with no taste. We tried grain fed burger on the room service menu? I had to spit out the first bite it tasted that bad. The food was a disappointment, the breakfast quiche was the best thing I had there besides the tomato/goat cheese bread. A dessert my husband ordered tasted so bad I had to brush my teeth. Extremely disappointing. Perhaps they were preoccupied with their bbq guests and the food on the fine dining section fell flat?

The Nit picky - The dining experience uncomfortable but appropriate for a special occasion with beautiful attire and if you don't mind being seated close to other tables. Recommend it for wine lovers that know their wines but don't take suggestions - you'll end up with ice wine when you requested something less sweet than a white zinfandel at $17/glass! The soaps are perfumed with a scent that is rather unappealing/over perfumed. Mattresses too firm. Video system was down so we couldn't order a movie in the evening when we wanted to relax. (thankfully brought a laptop and streamed Netflix instead). I wanted to love this place but unfortunately it missed the mark on the food and that's a big no-no in my books.

We decided to leave a day early and although the staff were so friendly, we just couldn't justify the cost any further. I hate to leave a poor review, but we tried the food several times and were equally disappointed each time. The rooms were lovely, the staff great, again it's beautiful but stay away from the food.

1 Thank spagirlforlife
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

This has been a very interesting experience. I was given an expensive gift certificate for Langdon Hall as a Christmas gift. I have been trying for over four months to try and book a reservation in their dining room with no luck. They always ask if I am a guest at the hotel when I call and when I say "no" they indicate that the dining room is full and I can sit in the bar area. Yah - I want to spend $250 for two to dine in their bar ... not gonna happen.

I have visited the restaurant before and stayed at the hotel on a few occasions. Overall, it is a nice spot ... but pricey for what you get.

Word of warning - do not give a Langdon Hall gift certificate as a present. They make it too hard to try and use in the dining room. I am hoping I am wrong in my assumption; but, so far past history seems to be true.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Sadie280
Dear Sadie280,

Thank you for your feed back. We were so pleased to hear that a friend or family member shared a Langdon Hall gift with you for Christmas. We would like nothing more than for you to be able to use the gift certificate in our dining room as you wish. Our gift certificates are treated the same as cash and therefore are always accepted as payment. I’m sorry to hear that you have had difficulty making a dinner reservation with us. Please call 1-800-268-1898 and we would be pleased to assist.

Jessica Pearce,

Public Relations Manager
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you want to celebrate something special, I can think of no better place to visit than Langdon Hall. Your stay will be relaxing, you will feel spoiled, and you will realize that every penny you spend goes into making your stay the best it could possibly be. The rooms are beautiful, luxurious, and spacious. The beds are so comfortable that it is hard to think about getting up in the morning!
Dining here is an unparalleled culinary experience. We were lucky enough to be in time for a wine tasting earlier in the day with the sommelier who was then able to recommend the perfect wine to accompany our dinner. The fact that so many ingredients come from the hotel's garden adds the freshness and quality of the meals. Breakfast is also not to be missed--it is delicious and as inventive as the dinners the night before.
The staff at Langdon truly go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. My husband has worked in the hotel industry on and off for the past 15 years and he says that he has never seen such amazing service. We were lucky to be able to have a cooking demonstration by Sous Chef Darnell Gregg. When he learned that we were vegetarian, he switched gears immediately and created something amazing that we could both enjoy. We truly did not expect this type of accommodation, but this is the type of service you can expect at Langdon.
Although at first glance it may seem expensive to visit Langdon, the experience is truly worth the money. If you have a special occasion, this is the place to be.

3 Thank cbmd8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cambridge-Waterloo, Ontario
Four Points by Sheraton Cambridge / Kitchener
Hilton Garden Inn Kitchener
Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Kitchener
BEST WESTERN PLUS Cambridge Hotel

Been to Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!