The Good: The house itself is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and decorated with gorgeous gardens. The staff are exceptionally helpful and sweet. The women at the front desk were great, our wait staff, valets - only one waitress at the breakfast on our day of departure was a little flat. Overall the staff truly make the experience. Chilled water bottles by the bedside at night with chocolates on the pillows, chilled water in your vehicle waiting for you when you use the valet service. Beautiful gardens, nice atmosphere - rooms are also lovely. Unscented bath salts by the large tubs were very appreciated (other bath products were heavily scented and smelled horrible)
The Bad: The food stinks, I'm sorry I just can't sugar coat it. I had some of the worst food I've ever tasted while dining here and I was overcharged for a syrupy glass of "wine" $17 that I didn't even drink! I had mentioned at the time I didn't care for it and they just shrugged and asked how the food was. Really? Disappointing considering we booked this place based on the reviews of the food. The large BBQ going on suggested a laid back attire and we were excited to partake in the delicious spread - however we were informed you had to purchase tickets to that event months in advance. It looked much better than what we had dined on, pretty food with no taste. We tried grain fed burger on the room service menu? I had to spit out the first bite it tasted that bad. The food was a disappointment, the breakfast quiche was the best thing I had there besides the tomato/goat cheese bread. A dessert my husband ordered tasted so bad I had to brush my teeth. Extremely disappointing. Perhaps they were preoccupied with their bbq guests and the food on the fine dining section fell flat?
The Nit picky - The dining experience uncomfortable but appropriate for a special occasion with beautiful attire and if you don't mind being seated close to other tables. Recommend it for wine lovers that know their wines but don't take suggestions - you'll end up with ice wine when you requested something less sweet than a white zinfandel at $17/glass! The soaps are perfumed with a scent that is rather unappealing/over perfumed. Mattresses too firm. Video system was down so we couldn't order a movie in the evening when we wanted to relax. (thankfully brought a laptop and streamed Netflix instead). I wanted to love this place but unfortunately it missed the mark on the food and that's a big no-no in my books.
We decided to leave a day early and although the staff were so friendly, we just couldn't justify the cost any further. I hate to leave a poor review, but we tried the food several times and were equally disappointed each time. The rooms were lovely, the staff great, again it's beautiful but stay away from the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Langdon Hall offers a quiet and peaceful environment best suited for romantic get-aways that require an elegant setting. As a member of the prestigious Relais & Chateaux association, the property prides itself on creating a unique experience brimming with all the charm, character, cuisine, calm and courtesy you would find at the finest Relais & Chateaux property. Located one hour west of Toronto, Langdon Hall was built as a magnificent summer home in 1898 for the granddaughter of John Jacob Astor of New York City, a gentlemen who made his fortune in several areas of business including the Waldorf Astoria, the greatest hotel of its era. In 1987 Langdon Hall began its transformation into a hotel and now offers 60 guest suites, a full service spa, the only five-diamond award wining restaurant in Ontario. In addition to the main dining room the property features a casual bar and private dining rooms featuring wood-burning fireplaces, and 75 acres of expansive gardens and trails. For three consecutive years the readers of Conde Nast Traveller selected Langdon Hall as the number one hotel in Canada. Nearby amenities include championship style golf course, canoeing, theatre, horseback riding, biking and hiking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Langdon Hall Country House Hotel And Spa
- Langdon Hall Country House Hotel Cambridge
- Langdon Hall Country Hotel
- Langdon Hall Country Cambridge
- Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa Cambridge, Ontario