“Friendly Staff but Food is Overhyped.”

and 1 more site!
Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Good: The house itself is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and decorated with gorgeous gardens. The staff are exceptionally helpful and sweet. The women at the front desk were great, our wait staff, valets - only one waitress at the breakfast on our day of departure was a little flat. Overall the staff truly make the experience. Chilled water bottles by the bedside at night with chocolates on the pillows, chilled water in your vehicle waiting for you when you use the valet service. Beautiful gardens, nice atmosphere - rooms are also lovely. Unscented bath salts by the large tubs were very appreciated (other bath products were heavily scented and smelled horrible)

The Bad: The food stinks, I'm sorry I just can't sugar coat it. I had some of the worst food I've ever tasted while dining here and I was overcharged for a syrupy glass of "wine" $17 that I didn't even drink! I had mentioned at the time I didn't care for it and they just shrugged and asked how the food was. Really? Disappointing considering we booked this place based on the reviews of the food. The large BBQ going on suggested a laid back attire and we were excited to partake in the delicious spread - however we were informed you had to purchase tickets to that event months in advance. It looked much better than what we had dined on, pretty food with no taste. We tried grain fed burger on the room service menu? I had to spit out the first bite it tasted that bad. The food was a disappointment, the breakfast quiche was the best thing I had there besides the tomato/goat cheese bread. A dessert my husband ordered tasted so bad I had to brush my teeth. Extremely disappointing. Perhaps they were preoccupied with their bbq guests and the food on the fine dining section fell flat?

The Nit picky - The dining experience uncomfortable but appropriate for a special occasion with beautiful attire and if you don't mind being seated close to other tables. Recommend it for wine lovers that know their wines but don't take suggestions - you'll end up with ice wine when you requested something less sweet than a white zinfandel at $17/glass! The soaps are perfumed with a scent that is rather unappealing/over perfumed. Mattresses too firm. Video system was down so we couldn't order a movie in the evening when we wanted to relax. (thankfully brought a laptop and streamed Netflix instead). I wanted to love this place but unfortunately it missed the mark on the food and that's a big no-no in my books.

We decided to leave a day early and although the staff were so friendly, we just couldn't justify the cost any further. I hate to leave a poor review, but we tried the food several times and were equally disappointed each time. The rooms were lovely, the staff great, again it's beautiful but stay away from the food.

1  Thank spagirlforlife

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This has been a very interesting experience. I was given an expensive gift certificate for Langdon Hall as a Christmas gift. I have been trying for over four months to try and book a reservation in their dining room with no luck. They always ask if I am a guest at the hotel when I call and when I say "no" they indicate that the dining room is full and I can sit in the bar area. Yah - I want to spend $250 for two to dine in their bar ... not gonna happen.

I have visited the restaurant before and stayed at the hotel on a few occasions. Overall, it is a nice spot ... but pricey for what you get.

Word of warning - do not give a Langdon Hall gift certificate as a present. They make it too hard to try and use in the dining room. I am hoping I am wrong in my assumption; but, so far past history seems to be true.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Sadie280
langdon1898, Public Relations Manager at Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Sadie280,

Thank you for your feed back. We were so pleased to hear that a friend or family member shared a Langdon Hall gift with you for Christmas. We would like nothing more than for you to be able to use the gift certificate in our dining room as you wish. Our gift certificates are treated the same as cash and therefore are always accepted as payment. I’m sorry to hear that you have had difficulty making a dinner reservation with us. Please call 1-800-268-1898 and we would be pleased to assist.

Jessica Pearce,

Public Relations Manager

Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you want to celebrate something special, I can think of no better place to visit than Langdon Hall. Your stay will be relaxing, you will feel spoiled, and you will realize that every penny you spend goes into making your stay the best it could possibly be. The rooms are beautiful, luxurious, and spacious. The beds are so comfortable that it is hard to think about getting up in the morning!
Dining here is an unparalleled culinary experience. We were lucky enough to be in time for a wine tasting earlier in the day with the sommelier who was then able to recommend the perfect wine to accompany our dinner. The fact that so many ingredients come from the hotel's garden adds the freshness and quality of the meals. Breakfast is also not to be missed--it is delicious and as inventive as the dinners the night before.
The staff at Langdon truly go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. My husband has worked in the hotel industry on and off for the past 15 years and he says that he has never seen such amazing service. We were lucky to be able to have a cooking demonstration by Sous Chef Darnell Gregg. When he learned that we were vegetarian, he switched gears immediately and created something amazing that we could both enjoy. We truly did not expect this type of accommodation, but this is the type of service you can expect at Langdon.
Although at first glance it may seem expensive to visit Langdon, the experience is truly worth the money. If you have a special occasion, this is the place to be.

3  Thank cbmd8
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This house is unbelievable. When we drove around the bend and saw it for the first time, it literally took our breath away. It is like you are transported back in time yet you have all the modern day comforts and more.

The gardens were fascinating; we enjoyed strolling through them and looking at all the produce and flowers. Our meals exceeded all of our expectations. We were told the food was top rate at Landgon Hall, yet we were still blown away by our meals.

Service was exemplary. We had an amazing server. I believe her name was Danielle. She was helpful, very knowledgeable of the menu, and was not afraid to make suggestions. She added to an already amazing experience.

Also that evening, we took a trail walk after dinner. When we returned we approached the front desk to ask a question about the trails. What resulted from that was an amazing conversation and short tour of some of the amazing features of the home. Thank you Fran, for making our evening so amazing. My husband is a restoration carpenter in Toronto, and he absolutely adored all the details of the house. I am a lover of history so the attention and the time she spent to take us through some of the features and history of the home far exceeded anything we expected from a simple question that night. Her knowledge of Langdon Hall was absolutely impressive and it augmented our experience to a whole other level. She helped make it unforgettable. Thank you Fran!

We honestly thought there was a mistake when we walked into our room, and we were assured there was no mistake. We were, in fact, in a standard room. It was the most beautiful room, with a bathroom that I could only dream of for myself (in fact I did tell my husband to take pictures because I do intend to have something like that one day!). Our furnishings were beautiful and so full of character. Sleeping in that bed was like sleeping on a cloud. I had the most gorgeous sleep! We were gifted this short getaway, and though it is a resort that is top dollar, I would definitely return. It is worth every dollar!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lily_ferreira
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We spent a night here to celebrate my partner's birthday. The package included dinner at the hotel's dining room. The entire experience was absolutely wonderful. We have stayed here before several times, which is why we came back, but the service overall continues to amaze.

On arrival, the porter in casual conversation asked about our visit. My partner mentioned her birthday - which I had not mentioned when making the reservation. All through our stay she received small, but appreciated, mentions of congratulations.

The hotel is beautiful. Our room was wonderful: high ceilings, fireplace, large with a wonderfully comfortable bed and absolutely immaculate. The bathroom had double sinks, a large walk-in shower stall and a 2-person (proven) soaker tub.

The dinner continued the wonderful experience. The dishes were all refined and cooked to perfection with great taste. Many ingredients certainly coming from the large garden on the grounds. The service was perfect and friendly - not stiff and not intrusive. Breakfast the next day was just as good.

Since the dinner was part of a package I thought the menu provided to us might be limited or that we might have to pay a premium for many items. Not at all. We had the full menu to choose from at no extra charge.

The wine list is extensive with many labels costing $100++. However, after discussing our order and our preferred taste profile, the sommelier suggested a beautiful wine that cost far less than I was prepared to pay.

Overall, it is obvious that the hotel staff all put their heart into their work and are proud of the service provided.

Langdon Hall has all the luxury of a great hotel with an intimate and romantic feel. For what you get, prices for both the hotel and the restaurant are actually quite reasonable.

Room Tip: Had Room 1 - very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed for only one night on our way to Stratford and felt it was way too short. Exhausted after travelling literally right across the country to get here the staff did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Our room was spacious with a large bathroon and VERY comfortable bed. The food and service in the restaurant are as good as you'll ever find anywhere. If you want to get away from it all and truly relax, this is the place for you. It satisfies the 3 R's, rest, relaxation and romance. A true oasis if there ever was one.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yakster007
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Ontario deservedly attracts many foodies from cities all around, many on their way to or from the nearby Stratford Festival.

Dinners are a culinary experience, the menu changes somewhat on a daily basis, features local ingredients and the wine list ranks with the best anywhere.

The friendly, enthusiastic staff is well motivated to give everyone a positive, memorable experience.

Room Tip: Try to stay there during the week; weekends attract noisy groups that transform this sedate, imposin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cambridge-Waterloo, Ontario
Travelodge Cambridge - Waterloo
Kitchener Inn and Suites
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#1 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!