I surprised my beautiful, sexy and wonderful wife with a night away at Langdon Hall recently-I had been there years before as a kid and recalled how nice it was... In most ways, it fulfilled all of our expectations: the setting was stunning, our "basic" room was incredibly spacious and beautifully decorated with a working fireplace fully equipped with wood and instruments. The service is very good, and all of the rooms in the main house-the restaurant, the bar and the common rooms, are all both cosy and romantic.
But...and I'm nitpicking a bit here, but when you're paying for a top dollar resort you're allowed to nitpick...while our dinner was pretty much outstanding (both my wife and I had terrific appetizers and mains-special shout out to the amazing smoked scallop soup), the breakfast was decidedly sub-par. My wife's frittata was bland and uninspired, something you might find at a much cheaper establishment, and my poached eggs/lentil concoction was a soupy mess. Also, while we enjoyed our time at the spa (which is nice, if not the lap of luxury), I was not given the masseuse of the gender that I had requested and was promised.
I want to emphasize that Langdon Hall is a fantastic spot and you're not likely to be disappointed with the service and especially the setting and accommodations. But the very, very, very, very steep prices they charge pretty much demand perfection.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Langdon Hall offers a quiet and peaceful environment best suited for romantic get-aways that require an elegant setting. As a member of the prestigious Relais & Chateaux association, the property prides itself on creating a unique experience brimming with all the charm, character, cuisine, calm and courtesy you would find at the finest Relais & Chateaux property. Located one hour west of Toronto, Langdon Hall was built as a magnificent summer home in 1898 for the granddaughter of John Jacob Astor of New York City, a gentlemen who made his fortune in several areas of business including the Waldorf Astoria, the greatest hotel of its era. In 1987 Langdon Hall began its transformation into a hotel and now offers 60 guest suites, a full service spa, the only five-diamond award wining restaurant in Ontario. In addition to the main dining room the property features a casual bar and private dining rooms featuring wood-burning fireplaces, and 75 acres of expansive gardens and trails. For three consecutive years the readers of Conde Nast Traveller selected Langdon Hall as the number one hotel in Canada. Nearby amenities include championship style golf course, canoeing, theatre, horseback riding, biking and hiking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Langdon Hall Country House Hotel And Spa
- Langdon Hall Country House Hotel Cambridge
- Langdon Hall Country Hotel
- Langdon Hall Country Cambridge
- Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa Cambridge, Ontario