“Lovely, but not the greatest value”

and 1 more site!
Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I surprised my beautiful, sexy and wonderful wife with a night away at Langdon Hall recently-I had been there years before as a kid and recalled how nice it was... In most ways, it fulfilled all of our expectations: the setting was stunning, our "basic" room was incredibly spacious and beautifully decorated with a working fireplace fully equipped with wood and instruments. The service is very good, and all of the rooms in the main house-the restaurant, the bar and the common rooms, are all both cosy and romantic.

But...and I'm nitpicking a bit here, but when you're paying for a top dollar resort you're allowed to nitpick...while our dinner was pretty much outstanding (both my wife and I had terrific appetizers and mains-special shout out to the amazing smoked scallop soup), the breakfast was decidedly sub-par. My wife's frittata was bland and uninspired, something you might find at a much cheaper establishment, and my poached eggs/lentil concoction was a soupy mess. Also, while we enjoyed our time at the spa (which is nice, if not the lap of luxury), I was not given the masseuse of the gender that I had requested and was promised.

I want to emphasize that Langdon Hall is a fantastic spot and you're not likely to be disappointed with the service and especially the setting and accommodations. But the very, very, very, very steep prices they charge pretty much demand perfection.

1  Thank CThom7

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went went friends for a foodie indulgence. Members of our party had stayed here previously and were very pleased. Our room was nice, but not exceptional and several things were not in working order, including the Nespresso. Toiletries were average, linens nice. Although we were booked as 3, there were two of everything in the room from glasses to towels to chocolates at turndown. However biggest disappointment was dinner. Had difficulty picking an appetizer and entree because nothing really called to us! Our meals were all room temperature; tasted better after we asked for them to be reheated, but one should never have to ask! Menu was quite limited; of 8 entrees 2 were vegetarian and all agreed our spouses would have been quite displeased with the selection. Easy to pass on dessert as nothing seemed terribly appealing, and notably there was not one chocolate item! Bread was outstanding, and wine suggestions were outstanding. No spa services available, but the whirlpool, fitness center and change rooms were quite ordinary and far from a pampered experience. But all in all this did not begin to live up to its reputation, and food was so forgetable...at prices that weren't.Travelled quite a long way for this visit. Very unlikely to return at these prices.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank takemeaway_2010_10
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Langdon Hall seemed a perfect place for a short getaway and we returned home happy and well-fed. The building and grounds are beautiful. The hiking trails make for an easy trek through woods that made me feel like I was in Narnia! Staff are polite, though not as warm as I would have liked. The food at the dining hall was excellent for both dinner and breakfast and the wine list is exceptional. We opted for a package deal, which I'd highly recommend as it's more than worth it given the meals that are included. Wine by the glass started at $14. Bottles started at around $45. Overall, I'd return here for a short stay, but I could not give it a 5/5 as I did feel the price was a little high. We stayed in the main house, and while the room was spacious and pretty (very nice bathroom), the bed was quite uncomfortable as there were noticeable dips in the mattress (which was a spring mattress with a feather mattress pad - it was the spring mattress itself that had the dips). For such a first-rate establishment, and the cost of a room per night, I feel that is difficult to excuse. I would return, but the premium for a weekend stay may not be worth it if you prioritize value for money.

Room Tip: The main house is very cozy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Monika R
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had a lovely winter break at this fine Relais et Chateaux hotel, sitting and reading by the fire in the Conservatory, having some of the finest cooking in Ontario while looking out at the view of the snow-covered gardens, going for walks on the trails through the woods, and even shooting a little pool.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

WE have stayed at Langdon Hall a number of times for different ocassions and have always been happy with the accomodations, service, food and overall experience. The staff is always very helpful with the bags and showing you around, the rooms are great and having a fireplace helps on a cold or wet day.
It is such a great property and the management is very good about every little detail that goes into the experience. Starting with the dinners, the pairings of meals with the wine, the bar and the selection of variety as well as the presentation do not dissapoint.
I love the spa and breakfast in the morning, it's a great place to stay if you are looking to be pampered in great taste and appreciate good quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We booked a package at Langdon Hall for New Year's Eve. We'd read about the property and their great (if personally troubled) Chef and wanted to make an affordable international trip for the holiday. We coupled our visit to Langdon Hall with several days in Downtown Toronto. We are regular visitors to Relais et Chateau hotels.

When we first inquired about the New Year's eve package in October, they were completely sold out. We asked to be added to the wait list and with patience and diligence (I politely harassed them as Christmas approached) we were finally able to confirm our visit late in December. We initially were happy to get a smaller room in the main house without a fireplace, but just as the excellent manager predicted, we were able to move to a Cloister Room with a fireplace.

We were very happy with everything at this hotel. The drive down along the snowy river was nice. Cambridge is a smaller unremarkable town and the hotel is a destination in its own right. Our room was beautiful and the bed was among the very best we've ever experienced at a hotel. Wonderful linen and comfortably arranged near the fireplace with a view out towards the garden and green house.

The main house areas are beautiful and we enjoyed playing pool and having some coffee in the afternoon just after we checked in. We also really loved mingling with the other guests who were nearly all Canadians.

The special New Year's Eve menu included a cocktail party with canapes and a warm welcome from the owners. We mingled a good bit before being shown to our private table with a view over the front lawn. We choose to sit in what had been the grand house's original dining room instead of the large Conservatory because we knew that we'd be seated in that room for brunch the next day.

We opted for the wine parings with our dinner menu and were not disappointed. Excellent wine and delicious and creative food made for a terrific and romantic New Year's Even dinner.

After dinner there was a band for dancing in the Conservatory and champagne and cocktails until 1:00 AM. It was a terrific event.

We enjoyed walking around the estate on New Year's day and had a massage before the hotel shut down for its annual break/vacation.

The brunch buffet was simply amazing. For context I can say that after many years of visiting R&C properties all over the world. . .this was the best spread we'd ever seen. Everything was of the highest quality and freshly prepared. The variety was great and the coddled egg station made every other hotel omelet service seem pedestrian. I guess we are ruined for the Ritz Carlton staple. The food should be one of the top reason's you book at this hotel.

We finished out our visit with a few minutes by the fire in the entry as we settled our bill and prepared for the drive back to Toronto.

Considering our round-trip airfare to Toronto was only $200, I expect we'll book a return trip soon.

Room Tip: The Cloister Rooms are Nice but the Large Rooms in the Main House are Best
1  Thank duchamp_98
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beautiful estate set in a forest next to Cambridge. I believe they are growing their own vegetables which probably contributes to the delicious dishes they are serving.

Based on all other reviews and the presence in the Top 100 restaurants in the world, my expectations were high, and boy did they delivered... Starting with the service, the dinnerware, the food, presentation, atmosphere, this is the best restaurants I ever dine at.

Kudos to all staff, but especially to the chef.

Looking forward for my next trip to Cambridge.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank botmi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cambridge-Waterloo, Ontario
Four Points by Sheraton Cambridge / Kitchener
Kitchener Inn and Suites
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#2 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!