“Disappointed....”

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oakville, Canada
“Disappointed....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were at the RBG with a daughter and grandkids and decided to stop at the cafe for a bite to eat. Restaurant was not busy at all, yet the server was very slow and inattentive and our beverages were quite slow to arrive, as well as the food we ordered. Our daughter ordered salad and it never arrived until the rest of us were finished and we finally caught the attention of another server to ask for it. The food it's self was unremarkable and expensive. For a caffe in a tourist location it should have far better standards (quality of food) and service. I would not recommend this caffe to other visitors and would advise to find food at another location in the vicinity.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Dan S

Hamilton, Canada
“An all round bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our family was at RBG yesterday to check out the holiday activities and decided to stop in for a late lunch. The restaurant was not busy at all. We were told to seat ourselves and then had to get the menus ourselves and water ourselves as well. I ordered huevos rancheros, which at $16 (with cheese) seemed expensive but sounded tasty. The kids ordered from the Children's menu. The service was incredibly slow considering it was not busy in the restaurant. My meal arrived without cheese and with a regular sausage cut and placed on top. Everything was room temperature and the sausage was cold inside. I mentioned to a staff member that the sausage was cold and he promptly took away the sausage and returned within a few minutes. I realized that he must have microwaved the sausage and when I asked, he confirmed that he had. I asked to speak with a manager and he mentioned that he was one of them. I was astounded that for a $16 breakfast meal, that it would be microwaved. He had also brought a small bowl of grated cheese that I was not sure what to do with (as it was to have been melted on the dish). The kid's pizza was inedible. I appreciated that the manager did not charge for the huevos rancheros, but all round the meal and service were poor. This restaurant has such potential; it's too bad that they are not up to speed on customer service and meal preparation -definitely a candidate for a 'restaurant makeover'.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Allie598
Toronto, Canada
“Good Food And Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stopped here for lunch and thought the food was nice, and the service was great. The food prices here, and in the other cafe we stopped at, were a bit high, but I guess that is too be expected at a tourist place. We would recommend it.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank daak95
Ontario, Canada
“Decent lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

Attentive and pleasant service and decent food at a reasonable cost. Probably the best thing about this is that it is in the Royal Botanical Gardens. and if you can wander around the Mediterranean Garden that is a lovely bonus. Lots of free parking

• Visited November 2011
St. Marys, Canada
“Great Spot for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed lunch there on Sunday July 19th. Excellent atmosphere, with good food and very good service. We thought it might have had a few more diners for lunch but we were there around 12.30p.m. and it was not busy at all. They had a luncheon special with soup and quiche but we ordered from the menu. The cafe is just behind the gift shop in the RBG headquarters. Quiet room with not too many tables for the size of the room. Soups, salads and main courses all available at lunch time. They had a small wine list but adequate for lunch time, we noticed not a lot of Canadian wines on the menu. We had sandwiches and salads which were very good, although they did have a number of entree items of fish and beef etc., with several choices. The waitress was very professional and we would certainly return to this cafe on other visits to the RBG.