“This was our home away from home.”
Review of The Poacher

The Poacher
Ranked #159 of 474 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian, Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Burlington, Ontario
“This was our home away from home.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We are Gord and Betty Goodchild and spent many, many years eating and drinking at the Poacher. Mike, Janet, Dave and Coleen feel like family to us. My husband became very ill over the past few years and unfortunately our trips to the Poacher have ended. This pub has always reminded my husband of home (Watford, England). the food has been excellent, the staff friendly and the beer great. Next week my husband will be at Christopher Terrace Retirement Home in Respite care until he enters into a nursing home. My wish is that his friends from the Poacher will find it in there hearts to visit him as he always thought of everyone there to be his second family. My thanks and my heart goes out to all the staff from the owners to the wait staff to the kitchen and you have always made every visit to the pub a wonderful, friendly and enjoyable experience. We miss all of you and your kind spirit and one day when I have Gord settled completely I will be back. Thanks for all the wonderful meals, special Xmases and New Years and all the kindness and love that you have shown us both for many, many years. Yours sincerely, Betty Goodchild. Gord might not remember you after you are gone, but he sure will know you when you are there. He has spent the last 47 days at JBMH and will be in Christopher Terrace on New Street by the middle of next week, I hope you will come and remind him of all the good times and food and beer he shared with all of you. Perhaps I should tell you that he has Vascular Dementia, Vascular Parkinsons Disease, major heart problems, COPD, and many, many major medical problems. With all of this happening, a friendly face is always welcomed and the Poacher was his home away from home.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Betty G

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Pretty good”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We rode our bikes there this past weekend and it was nice because they have a nice patio to sit out on and a bike rack for bikes! The food was good but pretty average - I had a chicken ceaser wrap that was a good size.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Meredith R
Burlington, Canada
“It's a Pub!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I'm fairly regular at The Poacher so this is my "local". The beer is good with couple of prime choices and an excellent range of single malts. The service is good because as I sit down my pint arrives as though by magic and I like that. The food is Pub Food, good pub food but still pub food. Don't expect "fancy" do expect a lot and really good value for money. I'd rather you didn't go too often as you might take my seat.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank T G
Toronto, Canada
“Authentic Pub Fare”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Great pub atmosphere, traditional Brit grub, good beer and whiskey selection, menu is a smargosboard of classics and modern choices - something for everyone. Really enjoyed this pub and would recommend it to any epicure - my party included my children who loved the fries and gravy and chicken wings. Do try this place.

Toronto, Canada
“Great pub food and friendly attentive service”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Had andojitos, steak and mushroom pie and roasted veg Brie wrap with onion rings. Best wrap have ever had. Onion rings crisp and not greasy. Obviously all food made on spot, not running frozen supplied food through deep fryer like so many chain restaurants. Service was cheerful and casual. Smokers open and close door near tables to go to patio to light up, resulting in numerous blasts of cold air, so ask o be seated away from patio door and door to kitchen where they renter.

• Visited March 2013