“yummy friendly”

The Water St. Cooker
Ranked #104 of 471 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Canadian, Steakhouse, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hamilton, Canada
“yummy friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

everything. staff was so knowledgeable of whatever question thrown at them regarding menu,drinks,will be back luv it all

Visited December 2012

Stoney Creek, Ontario
“My Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Good food for the price and a nice view by the water. We had the buffet lunch and the selections were not a lot but the quality of food was very good.

Visited December 2012
Burlington
“Higher end but not 'fine dining'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Nice welcoming atmosphere and view of Lake Ontario. Certainly not a steakhouse atmosphere, but a little better than the average medium to higher end dining experience. Good service.

Hamilton, Canada
“Worst dining experience in years”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked this restaurant based on a good experience 10 years ago. We reserved for 8:30pm which the hostess said would be good because the main evening rush would have dissipated. This was a special dinner out to celebrate my partner's birthday.

Where do I start? The ambiance - non existent. Paint peeling off the window sills, (yes we had a coveted window table) a couple of token pictures, white table cloths with brown paper covering them (where's the crayons? As far as I can see there's no kids menu included!) Can't see out the window to the lake because the lighting inside was turned up.

The evening got off to a fine start when the waitress brought our drinks and proceed to spill them over the brown paper (ahh that's why it's there).

The came the free appetizer. Cold flat bread? It looked like it had been half eaten (only 3 olives for us). I sent it back and got the proper portion (fresh out of the oven - yay) So indeed we had got someone else's left over half eaten appetizer. Perfect. My partner had a roasted vegetable soup which was luke warm and tasted like bland pureed potato.

Then came the main courses. The food prices reflect a higher standard of food preparation. Unfortunately the food didn't reflect that. The prime rib was cold with luke warm au jus. The rib isn't supposed to be piping hot but the au jus is supposed to be flaming to warm up the rib. No such luck here.

Then came the fish. Cedar planked salmon with maple glaze. Sounds good right? The salmon came with pine plank splints (1 strike), a sprinkling of pre-cooked vegetables, and fries that were in a separate bowl for some reason. Ok how hard is it to screw up fish? Well it wasn't even remotely cooked.(2 strikes). After trying to summon the waitress 5 times, I managed to alert her to the fact it wasn't cooked. She told me it would be 2 minutes. It ended up being closer to 10 minutes by which point my fellow diner was almost finished. The worst part though was that it came back with only half the portion (the one I had eaten a little of) the rest of it I don't know - did they toss it, did they eat it themselves, did it end up on the floor by accident? (3 strikes).

The service. The waitress was friendly and concerned but I was confused. It wasn't rush hour yet we had three people waiting on our table because the waitress was too busy. I guess that's why I had a hard time alerting her to the re-used appetizer, half cooked fish and also why she did a table check before we had even started our food. She made a joke about the brown paper and then processed to spill drinks all over it. She didn't charge us for the meal which I would expect after all the screw ups.

I would say to prospective diners that there is awful dining here in a casual atmosphere. The food preparation is suspect, the atmosphere awful and more indicative of a lousy roadhouse.

We went downstairs afterwards to Emma's Back Porch where we actually got cooked food, better service and a warmer ambiance. Go figure.

Thanks Water Street Cooker. I will never be able to get that night back. I would have complained to a manager but guess what? There were none in sight. Which is not surprising given the state of the place. Maybe the owner is out of the country. He owns Emma's and The Water Street Cooker but perhaps he should just fold the Water Street Cooker into Emma's and forget all the pretension. After all the modus operandi seems to be about economy (giving the diner much less than what they expect).

Don't waste your money here. You can go down the street to Spencer's and have a better dining experience and better view for approximately the same bill. I am just sorry I didn't book there instead.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank bjc2691
Burlington, Canada
“Favorite local restaurant in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Food is consistently excellent and love the ambiance and view of the lake. This is our favorite local restaurant and we go there several times a year.

Visited September 2012