“Warning: Worst Food and Dining Experience”
Review of Lowville Bistro

Lowville Bistro
Ranked #110 of 481 Restaurants in Burlington
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Lowville Bistro is a destination to delight the senses! Situated in stunning Lowville Valley (north Burlington), enjoy an upscale casual dining experience like no other. The menu is all about simplicity and seasonal tastes. Special Features are offered at every dinner to enhance your menu experience. Explore Daytime, Brunch and Dinner menus online. Sunday evening features live jazz, shows run 6 pm to 9 pm and a cover charge applies. A unique and cozy venue for a private function, able to customize a menu to suit your occasion and budget. Catering and take-out are available, licensed patio in the spring and summers months. Reservations recommended.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've never written a review of a restaurant before, but after the experience I had at Lowville Bistro, I feel compelled to warn others about this place. I drove for over 1 1/2 hours to get to the restaurant on a Sunday night.
When I walked in, I waited to be seated and was approached by Robert Small, the general manager who greeted me with a snarl and told me that the only seat available was at the bar. He had an arrogant attitude as if he was doing me a big favour by giving me a seat at the bar. I felt so unwelcome and my instinct was to turn around and leave, but after driving all that distance I decided to stay.
The service was terrible - I waited for over 20 minutes before I was asked what I wanted to drink and then it took another 20 minutes to be served. I asked for a menu (I had to ask for a menu!) and ordered their homemade pizzas which came highly recommended as two of their entrees were no longer available. The pizza arrived 50 minutes later and it was warm and tasted like wet cardboard. The crust was half-cooked and the tomato sauce was very acidic. Shortly after eating it I became ill.
This was the worst food I've ever had and the poor service and arrogant attitude of the servers left me wondering how this place stays in business. The place was quite busy the night I visited, but that is no excuse for poor food quality (could I have had food poisoning?) and terrible service - I will not be back.
This is not the upscale place or upscale experience that I expected. The only thing that was upscale is the price of the food and beverages - highly overpriced. Their menu is on their website and the prices are not posted - now I know why. If they posted the prices in the menu no one would show up - way overpriced for the quality of the food. They need to replace Small with someone who greets patrons with a smile and makes them feel welcome. At the very least Small needs to lose the arrogant attitude - this bistro isn't all that.

3  Thank Elizabeth B

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My friend and I stopped in here with the thought of either having a late afternoon meal or early dinner after an afternoon of house hunting in the area. We were greeted by a sullen waitress who immediatly infomed us they had finished lunch service and were not serving dinner until 5 pm ( it was 4:30 pm) and we could only order bar food. Also we were told we had to sit outside on the patio, not inside. We followed another waitress outside,however she totally ignored us even though there was a sign asking to wait to be seated, and all the tables had reserved signs on them. She finally told us to sit wherever we wanted. We were then totally ignored for about ten minutes, and not even given a menu. There was no excuse for this as there were only about five other guests in the whole place. The same waitress who first greeted us came out, handed another table their bill, but did not even glance our way. We finally got up and left, because we thought the servers were so rude and unfriendy and it seemed like we were more of an annoyance to them than potentially paying customers. I would not recommend this restaurant based on the snooty staff.

4  Thank Occasionaltraveler45
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Been to the Restauant a few times in the past and had a satisfactory experience. Most recently though something went wrong:

1. On a Saturday night they were out of at least 3 entrees (evidently because of a busy Friday night) including hamburger and eggplant. They couldn't go to the market that morning and do some shopping?

2. The restaurant was very loud (including our waitress), so much so that we couldn't carry on a conversation. I couldn't wait to get out.

3. My wife and I both has the "risotto". It was more like a bowl of rice with a few bits of seafood thrown in. For over $20 a plate I'd expect the creamy, flavourful dish that we're accustomed to.

Those were the biggest issues. Others, although important with respect to the cost of the night out, not worth reporting on.

Can't say we'd return any time soon. Too bad, because we used to enjoy it for the food and service.

2  Thank jeffreybrookfield
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Dinner with two friends. My suggestion since it was recommended by another. We all ordered the Nasi Goreng, two chicken and one shrimp. The shrimp Nasi was full of nice big juicy shrimp about 6 or so. My friend and I looked at our chicken ones expecting at least a grilled breast. It was "where's the chicken?" Really, we had to hunt for it then realized they were small chunks hidden in the mass of rice and sauce. Flavors were lovely but overpowered by sweetness. Expensive for what we got. Could have had a nice classic steak dinner at The Keg for what we paid for this entree. Service slow. Never going back.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Lowville bistro is our go-to restaurant! Food is excellent, white wine chilled and staff are friendly and attentive. Their patio is lovely and private, no traffic sounds bother you here. Main courses are varied with the seasons using local ingredients. We especially enjoy the chef's salmon specials. Sunday is Jazz Night, sometimes there is a cover charge. Inside, the restaurant is intimate but not noisy. Browsing the dessert counter always tempts us. Highly recommended for a good time.