“Wish we had read the reviews first”
Review of Ivy Bar + Kitchen

Ivy Bar + Kitchen
Ranked #287 of 489 Restaurants in Burlington
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Walkers and Guelph lines on South Service Road
Description: Ivy Bar + Kitchen is a Contemporary, Cosmopolitan, Restaurant and Bar located in Burlington Ontario, Canada. Ivy's approachable modern design and inviting ambiance, combined with a fun, fresh, and genuine approach to great food and service-make Ivy a favorite spot for upscale casual dining, cocktails, or weekend nightlife. From the moment you walk inside, you will be taken on an impressive journey of lush greenery, and casual modern elegance. A distinctive setting of contemporary furnishings and finishes create many unique spaces to accommodate a wide range of hospitality in our bright and inviting naturally lit dining room• An inviting dinner for two or more• Dining or drinks at one of our inviting bar spaces• A sociable group dinner• A small plate and cocktail gathering• A special occasion dinner for up to 14 persons in our Private Dining Room• Exciting weekend nightlife for a mature adult crowd• Large exclusive events. Ivy's appetizing cuisine ventures through approachable American and International chef-driven classics, with a touch of modern flair. A world-class wine list combined with a fun creative cocktail program- make Ivy 's warm and inviting spaces a first choice for discerning libation seekers of every taste. The nightlife on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays is created with accents of sophistication, to appeal to a classier adult taste. We are proud to be continually nominated as the destination of choice for evening guests ranging from late twenties, thirties, forties, and on. Nightlife on Friday and Saturday night after 10pm - the scene is full of great music, bustling bar action for a more sophisticated night out, and plenty of areas to dance, socialize, snack, or mingle the night away. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Had a really hard time trying to make a reservation here for dinner. Eight days to make a reso for four people....I have never had to jump through so many hops to make a dinner reservation. Its not that hard to take a simple phone call to see when we can be fit in and on what day. Either the staff are not being trained for the booking manager is a control freak. After reading others reviews this seems to be par for the course at Ivy.

Our dinning experience

First impressions make it or break it with everything in life. First impression of Ivy was the smell. Bleach and dirty mop. Not an appealing oder to dine in.

Next in line was the service. This can be summed up in three words, rude, inept, and lax. A guest first policy really needs to be pushed in his department. As well maybe some training in product knowledge may help.

...and now the food...really sub par for the venue. The menu appeared to have time traveled from the eighties and i believe some our food did as well.

Dinner to club transition

establishments that turn into clubs after the dinner hour have never been my thing. Lame top fourty dance beats mixed with cougars on the prowl and the rift raft that hunt them is last thing anyone with any self respect would want to do.

Was really looking forward to eating here but its geared to be a club not a dinning destination.

2  Thank Paul S
Allie B, Guest Relations Manager at Ivy Bar + Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hi Paul, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent experience. I would first like to begin by apologizing for the missteps that have taken place in your time with us. We pride ourselves on providing nothing but the best service possible and are disappointed that you experienced otherwise. We are continuously growing and improving our services and any further information and details you could provide would be considered most helpful. We are in the process of not only hiring additional staff members, but also launching a brand new menu with the arrival of our new Executive Chef. Along with this menu, will also be product knowledge training for all staff members to ensure they may answer questions correctly and efficiently. If you could be so kind as to reach out to reservations@ivybar.ca we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you further. On the reservation side, we do handle all Thursday through Sunday reservations by email only, this is to ensure all requests are timed and date stamped to process in order that we receive them. It is also an opportunity to ensure all information has been provided to the guest prior to their arrival. As we are considered somewhat of a destination restaurant, we do tend to reserve upwards of two weeks in advance, however, do our very best to accommodate as many requests as possible. We do apologize if you found this system to be tedious, however, i will note that we have a brand new website with a reservation tool making it much quicker to submit any requests that you may have. We do hope that you reach out to us, as i can assure you that all feedback both positive and negative is taken to the heart and used for future considerations. Thank You for your time.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

A friend of mine told me that this new place called The Ivy had opened up and thought I would call them and book one of our girls nights out. So, I began by calling and asking about what was going on for a Saturday evening and was told to leave a message and someone would get back to me...no one called me back and I told them I was looking to bring in a group of 15 women. So, a couple weeks later I called back and the person I spoke to told me to go online and look at what was going on, which I had already done and not found much info.
Now after reading the comments that Bailey the manager replied to the people who have complained, I will never go to the Ivy, she seems to think she is right every time and the customer is wrong, funny, when I was in restaurant management for 10 years, I was taught the customer is always right, but see that the Ivy has a different opinion.
Was looking forward to having a new place to take the ladies out for dinner and drinks but never even got a chance to even book a reservation as no one seems to want to answer any questions. Considering I book large parties every month, this is the first time this has ever happened.Guess we'll stick to our old favourites!

1  Thank Ruhappy2
Allie B, Guest Relations Manager at Ivy Bar + Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Hi there! I would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the frustration you have experienced. I can assure you this is by no means how we deal with our guests, and are quite disappointed at the missteps that have taken place. As we do receive an overwhelming number of requests per week, we do handle all Thursday-Saturday reservations by email only, which should have been communicated to you. I am unsure as to when you had attempted to contact us, but would appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you further in an attempt to rectify this situation. We appreciate any and all feedback from guests, as we do constantly strive to better the services we provide. If you would be so kind to reach out to us at reservations@ivybar.ca I can assure you that our current guest relations team will provide you with nothing but the utmost respect and efficiency in response.
Thank you for your time and feedback.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We were very excited to try this restaurant for Sunday brunch. My friend had been for lunch one day and said it was "adequate" but even adequate doesn't cover our experience. Sunday Brunch is supposed to be relaxing with family/friends and pleasant conversation. From the moment we walked in the door you couldn't hear because their duo had the amps revved up so loud you couldn't even talk with the hostess. And when I mentioned it she laughed and didn't care. While decor is modern I would have expected comfortable seats. When I sat on the bench chair against the window I almost went down to the floor. Not firm at all and you fell into it. The table was almost up to my chin. A couple came in next to us and couldn't figure out how to get in because there was so little room between tables. It felt like about 8 inches. After their issues they got up and left. Before my friend arrived I asked the waitress what was on the buffet and what was the cost because I didn't see it on their website. She rudely said "I will tell you when your friend gets here". When I ask a question I expect a polite response. Not rudeness. When she finally honoured us with her time again she skimmed across the menu and after hearing what was on the menu and seeing it we were not impressed. When I again asked if something could be done about the loud duo because everyone around us was yelling trying to be heard it fell on "deaf" ears. Probably because she couldn't hear. While we didn't partake of the food it didn't looked overly exciting. We left and went to a place where you could at least have a conversation. Rudeness and noise just doesn't cut it when you are trying to have an enjoyable brunch. I hope this place figures out how to please their clientel because we weren't the only ones that left.

1  Thank Mitzy570
Allie B, Guest Relations Manager at Ivy Bar + Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent experience. I can assure you that we take any and all feedback to heart and use the information to continuously better our services. It is very disappointing that you had a misstep of service, as we do pride ourselves on offering the best experience possible, this is a situation we can assure you is being investigated and resolved. As our brunch service is still fairly new to us, we are constantly rearranging to find the best set up possible, and to offer a variety of unique and Chef inspired dishes. We do encourage, and hope that you would be willing to try us for a second experience, as we do offer a variety of dishes from week to week, and I will note, have recently acquired a new Executive Chef. This is something we are quite excited for, and with his arrival will be launching a new menu as well. Along with this exciting news, we are currently looking into new seating arrangements in the area you mentioned, as this is an ongoing process. We ask that you kindly reach out to us at reservations@ivybar.ca to connect further.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Ivy has good food, efficient friendly service and comfortable seating. I especially like the pillows on the bench seats to support my back.

Parking is ample and I like the coat check so I'm not sitting on my coat.

While a little pricey the food is good quality.

Being a big open space it can be hard to carry on conversations. Nice decor! I like looking out onto the patio even when it is covered with snow.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The décor at the Ivy is very modern and chic-nseating consisted of tables with padded benches and chairs, to groupings of couches and arm chairs. The wall of live plants is quite impressive. We (a group of 4 women) found that the was very loud and made it difficult to have a conversation. The service was very good; our waitress was very pleasant, suggesting meal choices and accommodating dietary restrictions. We all had a meal salad- the portions were large, and tasty but you did have to pat extra for added protein. My salad had grilled asparagus on it which was delicious - expertly cooked.