“Adequate”

Add it.
Rice Indian Cuisine
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The best thing was they were open until ten o'clock and I was hungry at 9:35! The food was okay, nothing special but better than typical chain fare (US, Canadian, etc). My ice tea came out of a bottle and was sweetened, which nearly gagged me. The Naan bread was good, the shrimp curry underwhelming, but as I said, better than many of the alternatives I had at this time of night. It did the job.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

When we order Indian, we order from Rice. So tasty! We used to live near little India in TO and Rice is right up there with our favourite Little India favourites. We have dined in, ordered out & tried the buffet lunch. The buffet is not the greatest....quality is good....just lackng choices. We order a la carte so we can have our favourite dishes that aren't offered at the buffet. Our favourites are the chicken vindaloo, banghan patiala, & chana masala. Atmosphere is typical, minimal, Indian restaurant. You go for the food, not the atmosphere. Service is great. They'll even remember your beverage choice if you are a familiar face and bring it to you before you order :)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Rice offers a daily lunch buffet. Weekdays, it's $9.99 plus tax, a reasonable price to pay for an all-you-can-eat buffet. However, the curries were bland - the butter chicken was somewhat tasteless, the tandoori chicken was cold, the goat curry consisted of large chunks of goat that were bony and fatty. The vegetable curries were OK.

Bottom line - if you are amongst the "uninitiated" when it comes to Indian food, by all means try Rice out. If you are looking for more authentic Indian food, hmmm ... might I suggest you try someplace else.

2  Thank udomeidouwedo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Been coming here for lunch, at least once a month, for a couple of years now. For a buffet it's a pretty nice place to bring out of town guests or business associates. The staff are friendly and most importantly the food is damn good.
They have a small selection but for the price and quality it's a great choice. The little donuts soaked in some magical syrup is great with a tea/coffee.

4  Thank Franz C
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Many people review the lunch buffet, which we've never had (we always order from the menu and always for dinner). Our experiences in terms of the food over three or four visits have been uniformly positive. The dishes have just a bit of an edge over standard Indian fare: less greasy, more subtlety to the flavours, with a fresher taste than what most other places serve. The naan strikes a perfect balance between crispy and soft, the bhaji have a lovely floury dusting to them, and the various chicken dishes I've tried have all been excellent.

Where things do suffer is in the area of service. I think this is a very family-based establishment and while some family members are attentive others just do not have a good handle on what it takes to provide quality service. One server in particular is barely audible; hearing her over the (fairly quiet) ambient music is almost impossible. The only other gripe I have is with the baskets the naan is served in. The natural wicker has been cleaned so many times that it never fully dries out and occasionally we get one with a thin scum of mould on it. Please, folks! These small details matter, and it's off putting to see that next to my food.

Other than those issues it's phenomenally good food at exceptional value.