“OK but not great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester, NY
“OK but not great”
Reviewed October 17, 2008

A really nice location on the waterfront, but not nicely developed for the hotel.

Parking is really a problem as they have a lot of night time traffic into the restaurant and night club. The desk was most unhelpful about what a guest should so if t there was no parking spaces available on their lot.

Rooms are nice, but not that great. I was expecting more glass overlooking the lake.

We've chosen to go elsewhere where the value is better.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HimselfNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Montreal
Reviewed April 27, 2008

The reception staff seemed so jaded and inept, except one manager who seemed to know what she was doing but was overworked dealing with guests' problems. They got our room booking wrong, and when we came down to ask for the type of room we had requested, they were defensive and wanted to argue about who made the mistake rather than just fix the problem.

The rooms are shabby, miserable and overpriced, and being directly above the noisy bar with loud music, we could not sleep until around 3:00am each night. The reception had no ear plugs.

The woman stationed at the breakfast room policing who went in and out was obnoxious to each of our party of three individually, including my bewildered child, who she chastised angrily for not being on her list (an omission by the reception staff) as we went for breakfast. She loudly objected to my leaving the breakfast room to use the washroom located on the other floor, and daring to return to finish my meal.

I resented paying $150 a night for such a depressing experience.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — 1. the rude service 2. being kept awake half the night by the live music in the bar beneath my room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I recently spent three nights at the Travelodge while on business in Burlington. My stay started off with rude disinterested treatment from the woman at the desk. My room, which was a more expensive room, was pretty much awful. Old stained carpet. Handwritten number on the door out front. Worn out sheets. Dirty curtain. It was gross. I travel a lot for work so I'm used to business hotels, but this place was pretty unpleasant.

The good things? Location right near bars and restaurants in town. Also if the weather is nice you could get a good view of the water (however there is construction going on right now on the shore).

Also, no gym.

My recommendation: find somewhere else to stay. Thats' what I'll be doing.

• Stayed January 2008
1 Thank willboston
British Columbia
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I wrote a review of our experience at this Hotel back in 2005 and I just want people to know what they did to us. As a family of four, two kids, two adults, I booked our holidays months ahead. No smoking, two queen beds and a cot. When I booked our room at this hotel, I read the reviews and saw it was on the waterfront and got the impression it would be a nice place to stay. After booking online, I remembered we needed a cot and decided to call to confirm my original booking and add the cot. The clerk tried to get me to book the "Teddy Bear" theme room because we had kids. I said my kids were too old for that stuff and to give us a nice non-smoking room with a view, please. The day were to check in, I called from Sudbury about 2pm to confirm we were coming but would be a late check in. I was assured because we had booked with a credit card, our room would be held for us. When we got there late with two tired kids, the clerk gave us the most disgusting room I have ever been in. It stank with smoke, and there was even a used condom package behind the TV. When I complained of course I was told we could not be moved because the hotel was full. I asked who she gave our room away to because the room we were in was the dump in the basement that is given to the bar patrons when the bar closed for the night. They made my kids and my husband and I stay in a party room. Funny thing was, it was decorated with "Teddy Bears" Yes, it was the room the other clerk tried to get me to book a month ago. The one I said no to back then. This room was so laden with smoke and stink and dried on scum that I could not breath properly. I know, we should have left, but what can you do at 11pm at night in a city you are unfamiliar with? So we stayed. It was degrading. In the morning they moved us to the correct room we should have had the night before. The manager was very uncaring and when I asked him if he had been in that particular room he said no. I told him he should so he can see the kind of dump he was representing for $150 a night. And he would not give us any kind of compensation for what they did to us. I did contact their head office at the time but no one was very apologetic. Since then, I was emailed that I was right and the room was immediately closed for reno and ozone treatment for the stink. But, how many people do they do this to on a regular basis? Tell people your nice room will be ready for you and then give them the dump in the basement? This is a true review, people should know what was done to us and what can happen to them.

• Liked — No redeeming qualities
  • Disliked — Being treated like dirt.
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
3 Thank clayvaa
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 5, 2006

For a basic, off-the-highway lodging, this hotel gets high marks from me. I was travelling through Canada to New York, so I was road weary. I was greeted warmly and all my questions were answered. Internet is provided. The location and views on Lake Ontario, adjacent to a pretty park and the shops of downtown Burlington make this a special lodging, kind of small-town, laid back, and NOT on the highway, which is a treat. The rooms are basic motel, but clean, which is also high on my list of requirements.

While I wouldn't choose this older motel for an "event", it's ideal for travelling through. No significant issues.

• Stayed November 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank princessgraciella
Windsor
Reviewed September 19, 2006

The hotel itself was fine. The restaurant however was not. The service at best is slowwwww and very overpriced. The breakfast was a total disaster. To get a coffee you had to flag down the wait staff and then were told to wait and sometimes had coffee grounds in it. If you asked for a tea -that never appeared. The cereal-you didn't get a choice of and no one had enough milk. A few people had hair in their cereal . The staff was rude to several diners who were told to sit down and wait. When they asked for cream they were told to "look on your table" which didn't have any so other guests offered theirs. My daughter asked for a tea and bagel and was told "you get the contential breakfast." She is a vegan and can't eat what was served and of course got nothing When I said I couldn't eat the breakfast because of medical issues I was given no choices. At check out the only conversation seemed to be how bad the breakfast experience had been.

• Liked — ROOMS
  • Disliked — RESTAURANT
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Mississauga
Reviewed March 13, 2006

I really liked this hotel. I checked in late and got a good room for three days. Was I surprised when I woke up and saw the view from my room. I could see for miles across the Lake and on a cool March Saturday, there were hundreds of people using the park behind the hotel.
Breakfast was free with the room and I had free high speed internet acess for my laptop, something I had to pay $9.99 for at other hotels.

I can't wait to come back in the summer time.

Stayed March 2006