“Location is the main attraction”

Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Burlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I really feel that this hotel could be so much more, but isn't making the most of its potential. As other reviewers have noted, the Waterfront is in a great location. Not only is it right on the lake shore, but you can easily walk to an assortment of nice restaurants and cafés in Burlington. I also found the front desk staff to be very courteous when I checked in and out.
As for the facilities, they were very disappointing. The rooms could be described as basic at best, with a very noisy heating and cooling system. I also found the food to be incredibly disappointing. The breakfast buffet had very few options, and the hot choices were never fresh. Also, the lunch boxes provided to our board meeting on the last day were the worst I have ever seen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We thank you for recognizing our location, our downtown and most importantly our "courteous" staff. We apologize for the disappointment you experienced with the food services which is understandably an important part of your stay. As we strive and work hard to enhance all aspects of your stay with us, I would invite you or a member of your organization to contact our catering department to help idenitify and most importantly improve for future meetings. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Waterfront Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel, based on the beautiful pictures on their website.

FIRST IMPRESSION:
I was disappointed as soon as I arrived! We were staying with a small group for a girls hockey tournament. Upon check in we were told that we were on a different floor than the rest of the team. My 9 year old daughter was in tears at the prospect of spending the time on her own, as she is not allowed to run about the hotel alone. The lady at the front desk was as helpful as she could be (I was not kind - which I do feel bad about!!), but she said her hands were tied as the hotel was completely booked. Main problem here is that if you book with a group, you should at least be on the same floor. Our team was spread out over 6 floors. We finally checked in. There were no luggage carts available, so I started unpacking one load at a time. The girl at the front desk did offer to help which was very nice. She then found us a room to move into that would eventually have some members from our team arriving the next day. So we moved to the new room.

ROOM REVIEW:
Upon arriving in the new room, I was hit with an old mustly smell. The room was clean enough, but very run down. The carpet had a big bump in it - there was underpading under some of the carpet, but not under the rest.. very strange. The carpet style baseboards were all peeling away from the wall. The bathroom had wallpaper with spots of mould on it. The ceiling was peeling and bubbled up from an obvious flood/leak. This may be why the carpet had some under pad removed. The tiles in the bathroom were all cracked and you could feel them shift as you walked on them. The shower had spots of mould and mildew. The beds looked very lumpy, but were actually not too bad. The chair had stains all over the arm. The mini fridge had mould inside it. I cleaned it all out before loading it up, and then realized that the freezer part was also full of mould. So GROSS!! On the second night, there was rain. In the morning the window sill was covered in water - obviously contributing to the musty smell.

OTHER STUFF:
The breakfast was OK. There was the standard food - eggs, sausage, danishes, muffins. But no fresh fruit! The lack of fruit was a big downfall in my opinion.

On our third and final night - the night before a 6:30am get up time there was so much noise it was impossible to sleep. The room adjoining ours had loud music and many loud voices!! The walls are paper thin. I finally called to complain at 1am. The hotel staff responded immediately and the noise stopped! I was very impressed! But at 2am, a group of people started a LOUD party in the hall and a number of rooms. (Apparently there were a number of wedding groups staying at the hotel.) The doors (which are unbelievably loud) were slamming, there was laughing, yelling and music forever! I finally called to complain at 3am. Again the staff responded quickly! Unfortunatley it took another 45 minutes for the noise to complety stop. This is not directly related to the hotel, but if a hotel is booked solid, for the price we paid, I would expect that there would be a regular security member checking the halls and enforcing noise restrictions at such an hour. As well - they were not able to accommodate our hockey team - who were all in bed by 9pm, but they were able to accomodate loud groups of wedding goers who all wanted to be on the same floor. That is frustrating!

Overall opinion - This hotel is in an amazing location. They should invest money to revitalize this place. There is a horrible lack of maintenance!! I felt grossed out much of the time there! I feel bad that the staff is limited in the amount that they can do to help their guests. They should be set up for success by having more employees on a busy/sold out weekend. They should also have a better system for booking groups travelling together.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the review of your stay. We proudly welcome numerous sports teams here throughout the year and our staff work extremely hard to ensure all room type as well as floor requests are met. We hope you and the rest of the team were ultimately pleased with those efforts resulting in over 90% of the team being on same floor. We apologize for the inconveniences with your initial room and the wedding "parties" that were noisy. As we appreciate the need for rest before the game we are glad to see our security and customer service staff members responded immediately to your concerns. Lastly thank you for recognizing the efforts of the staff, our location, beds and complimentary breakfast. We look forward to continually welcoming sports teams to the Waterfront Hotel.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The best part is the location right on the shore of Lake Ontario. The rooms are average but clean. Staff at the front desk are friendly. Hotel is close to restaurants, LCBO and beer store. Included breakfast is okay but skip the coffee. There is a coffee shop right across the street where I would buy my coffee and bring it back to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with. We are proud to be a part of the Burlington Downtown which does indeed offer numerous amentities like great shops, restaurants, coffee houses, LCBO and Beer store right at the doorstep. Thank you as well for recognizing our cleanliness and our "friendly" staff.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here to attend a family wedding nearby, in mid August, and I would say that the best thing this old hotel has going for it, is the location. It is very scenic. It really needs a few upgrades, and some more attention to detail. There was only one elevator working when we stayed there, and it was always a long wait. I heard some excuses about the broken elevator and I thought "there are plenty of businesses that repair elevators". The staff had to use the only guest elevator as well. The television in the room was really old (no flat screen/HD here), and the quality of the picture was blurry at best!
The A/C unit was very noisy. The old non-functional safes that are in the rooms, should be removed, and replaced with modern ones. The phone had a flashing "message" light blinking the entire time we stayed, even though we had no messages, and I called to check! Our room didn't have a fridge, and I didn't know that was an option when I booked. The hotel website did not work when I tried to make a reservation, and I had to call three times before someone answered the phone.
The complimentary breakfast was nice, but they ran out of food frequently, and the patio and restaurant area needed a really good cleaning and new furniture. It was overpriced for the overall condition and amenities. They are the only hotel in the area on the waterfront in Burlington, so if you need to stay in that area - it's "okay". Not Great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We apologize for the elevator which was indeed an inconvenience and has been returned to normal operation. We are pleased to offer 40" televisions in all our guest rooms and am unsure as to how you were inconvenienced in such a manner. Thank you for acknowledging our breakfast and our location which we hoped helped to enhance your wedding experience.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Clean room, VERY comfortable bed and pillows, friendly staff, hot and cold breakfast buffet and the pool (warm!) and hot tub were divine. Next time I think I'd pay the extra per night for a park view and mini fridge though. My Mom and I were only there for 2-nights (for a wedding) so the view of the parking lot wasn't too important - besides we could see the lake just past it. The hotel is central and convenient to the QEW. A bit pricey in my opinion but for the location and comfy bed I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, and for recognizing our bedding, pillows, complimentary breakfast and most importantly our "friendly" staff. We look forward to your return visit and ensuring a park side room is available to you and your mother.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Here on business.
The place is clean, nice area, good view of the waterfront. Staff seem friendly.
I have no complaints....Restaurant on site ...Beaver and Bulldog...good food.....good prices, good service.Lots of good restaurants close.

Room Tip: Try the on site restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and choosing us for your business needs. We appreciate your recognition for our clean facilities, location and most importantly our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waterfront Hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went to Burlington from Orlando to do some different golfing. This hotel was centrally located to several courses in the area. Great breakfast 4 blocks up the road at Picadillys. The staff in the hotel was very accommodating and friendly. The only problem was that in the bar, the pours were weak, but we got over that. The rooms were just above average and the waterfront was beautiful . Overall a good hotel and a great location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review, and for your comments regarding our location, area restaurants and most certainly our comments regarding our staff. We appreciate that our "pours" may vary slightly to those in Orlando but hope that our overall service and award winning food made up for the inconvenience governed by government regulations vs restaurant standards. We hope you enjoyed the golfing, and hope to see you back as our area is home to many top ranked courses.