“Waterfront, just Okay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Canada
“Waterfront, just Okay”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Location is the only thing going for this dated establishment. A big plus is the Beaver and Bulldog Pub located off of the main lobby. That being said, the brunch served there was just okay. Would have been better to cross the street to any of the many establishments in the downtown area, however the brunch was included with the room.
Took the advice of previous travelers and secured a room remote from the elevators and overlooking the park...many thanks!

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the park or lake and not near elevators
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason S, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We strive to exceed our guests expectations not just meet them and invite you to contact me about any specific areas where we can improve. Thank you also for recognizing our great downtown location, our complimentary breakfast as well as our restaurant (Beaver and Bulldog). We look forward to your return visits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The rooms are very tired and dated. In fact out room 213 was depressing, the view out of the window was the lower roof full of AC chimmneys. The windows are small, which make the room quiet dark. Its not a room you want to spend much time in. Checkin staff were friendly and efficient as was the breakfast staff. The breakfast its self is not really worth getting up for. The quality was not good. Would I stay again? No.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to acknowledge our "friendly and efficient staff". We apologize you did not find your room satisfactory as we strive each day to satisfy the needs of all of our guests. To that end we invite you to make us aware of any future visits to Burlington so that we may have the opportunity to improve on your experience with us.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Waterfront Hotel is in a good location, close to many good restaurants. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room was also quite cool and took quite awhile to warm up, but at 2 am it became too warm. Rooms are heated and cooled by little units under the window. The hallways are a little old and tired looking and the elevators rattle. We stayed at this hotel before when it was called something else, happened to be there during a hockey tournament and didn't get any sleep. This time the parking lot was empty, so we thought we would get a quiet sleep, we couldn't have been more wrong. The hotel put a young couple in a room beside us and when the bars closed brought four young guys up to their room and at 2:30 and partied until 4. The guys then left and went to the park beside the hotel and vadilized the Christmas light display. I guess the hotel has no security monitoring. Couldn't tell you what the breakfast buffet is like, because we couldn't sleep anymore and checked out at 5am. Our little romantic getaway didn't end very well. What really gets me, is that we travel the world and stayed in some crazy places, but our local experiences always seem to be the worst of all. So if you want a place for uninterupted partying after the bars are closed, choose the Waterfront, for sleep go somewhere else. You might be lucky though as with some of the previous reviewers and get a quiet night.

Room Tip: Bring some eye shades it you need a dark room, the curtains didn't cover all the window to keep...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason S, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to mention our location and cleanliness of which we are constantly focused on and proud of.
I do apologize for the guests who disturbed your "get-away". Our staff work hard to identify and act upon any situations which may disturb our guests or their enjoyment. We again apologize for our failure to identify this particular incident and do wish for you to know that at the very earliest possible time all possible action was taken in regards to what you have reported above. I hope you find time for future "get-aways" and invite you to contact the Waterfront Hotel when making your plans. I also want to wish you and your family a Happy, Healthy and Safe Holiday Season.
Westminster, Colorado, United States
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I visit my son, who lives in Burlington, a couple of times a year and have stayed at The Waterfront on my last two visits. We chose it because of its great location. Too bad all of that potential is wasted. We received poor service from the front desk during both stays. The last time they changed our reservation without notifying us and didn't even tell us at check in. We didn't realize it until we arrived at our room. The room we ended up with was close to the elevator and quite noisy, in addition to being a lesser room than we had reserved. When I emailed the manager with my concerns, I never received a respose. Doesn't seem like they care much. I'll choose a hotel in a less desirable location for my visits in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris691
Thank you for taking the time to review our stay with us. Thank you also for your previous visits to the Waterfront Hotel while visiting family in the area. I apologize for your most recent experience and the delay in responding to you. I certainly agree, whether or not changes were made in an attempt to enhance your experience any changes made should most certainly have been done in conjunction with you. All staff of the Waterfront Hotel are commited to the service of our customers and again we apologize for our failure in doing so. We hope future visits to our great city are in your travel plans and we hope that the Waterfront Hotel will be apart of them.

Travelers are raving about these Burlington hotels

chicago
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have never been to Burlington before, chose Waterfront Hotel for it's location and it was MOST definitely a great choice. Hotel is comfortable, clean, staff was very helpful. I will be visiting the area several times in the next few months and will definitely stay at Waterfront everytime

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and are glad we could play a part in your first trip to Burlington being an enjoyable one. We appreciate your recognition of our staff and helpful service and we look forward to continually providing these services as well as enhancing future visits.
Delta
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Waterfront Hotel fronting Lake Ontario in the Canadian city of Burlington, Ontario (a 45 minute drive from Toronto, Ontario) is a perfect get-away if you are looking for a fabulous view of the lake, complete with a lovely park right next door with accessible side-walks along the waterfront, this may be the place for you! The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. A very good breakfast is included daily. Easy walking distance to a very good selection of shops, services and many restaurants (there is also an on-site pub-style restaurant). And on the Labour Day weekend every September there is a 'Rib-Fest' which is a sight to behold, boldly inviting visitors of all ages to enjoy the many types of barbequed ribs offered during the spirited competition (free admission)!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Lake Ontario.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay. We appreciate the time taken to recognize our staff, our service and amenities. We share your excitment of the Lake and the tremendous festivals that enhance our customers experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waterfront Hotel
Regina, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Waterfront for one night while visiting friends in Burlington. I'm originally from Burlington and figured this place would be decent as it is one of the only hotels in the downtown area.

Upon entering our room (213), I was instantly disappointed. Furniture was cracked and discoloured, paint was missing off the walls and door frames, drywall had obviously been patched very poorly, the beside lights had dangling cords that were strung together to a power bar behind the middle of the bed - which also happened to be the only extra outlet in the entire room besides the bathroom. As seasoned traveler who spends at least one trip a month in a hotel, I was astonished that a room could look like this for the price we were being charged.

My husband looked out the window and discovered that our city view was merely a view of the roof and the ventilation system.

The only good thing about this room was the decent size of the bathroom.

We decided to stay put and get some sleep as we were exhausted from the long drive that afternoon. My husband fell asleep while I watched TV. Around 9pm, I discovered that our lovely ventilation/heating system on the roof beside us had a VERY LOUD motor that fired up every 20 minutes and continued doing so long into the night. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

We left early the next morning and didn't bother to try their complimentary breakfast. On our way to the elevator, we noticed an outlet with a plate that was half broken! Seriously?!?!?!

As we checked out, I expressed my frustration to the front desk staff. I explained how disappointed we were in our stay, how our room condition was inexcusable for a hotel of that price, how our city view was hardly that, and how I barely slept due to the excruciatingly loud motor outside our window.

She asked if I called the front desk last night to express my concern. I told her no as we were only staying one night, had our bags opened/unpacked, and my husband had fallen asleep. She said that I should have called down, said sorry and mentioned we shouldn't have booked a city view room. I told her we would NEVER be back at this hotel nor would we ever recommend it to our local friends and family. She continued with another sorry and handed me my receipt.

This place is not worth your time or money. Serious upgrades were needed to our room - from paint to furniture to linens. I meant it when I said it: we will never be back!

Room Tip: Do not pick a city view room unless you want a view of the roof and ventilation system.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lindsey B
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the delay in responding. I apologize also for the disappointment you experienced with your room. The Waterfront Hotel is indeed the only hotel in Downtown Burlington. We pride ourselves on our location and lakeviews, unfortunately during busy times, room types and better views are more difficult to provide. I invite you back to the Waterfront Hotel and invite you to contact me when your plans have been made so that I may ensure you can experience all that we have to offer.