“Opinion of Mgt and Ger O' Sullivan” 3 of 5 bubbles

Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Burlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington
“Opinion of Mgt and Ger O' Sullivan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Housekeeping was excellent in the bedroom and bathroom. The restaurant on the other hand was in serious need of a good spring clean! The breakfast was terrible! After 9days we were very sick of it, going across to a cafe in spite of paying for our breakfast at the hotel.
Same menu every day, stale danish, tables not wiped between customers, having to ask for things constantly as waiter not on top of things at all! The pool was closed for the first 3 days, then the whirlpool wasn't working, the computer in the lobby crashed one day and the iron in the bedroom didn't work. Luckily I'd brought a travel iron. If one wanted a late drink in the bar at the weekend you had to pay to get in, despite being residents, as they had it leased for entertainment. In spite of all the cyclists in the area with a lovely path by the lake shore there was no where to hire a bike! I feel this hotel in such a fab location with such friendly and polite natives could be so much better with a little effort,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank gerard O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Admittedly the previous reviews of this property caused me some trepidations, but after a 6 day stay, I am a fan of this hotel and will be back many times over the coming months.

Its location is outstanding, on the lake and across the residential street (not highway) from the Village stores and restaurants of Burlington.

The views of Lake Ontario are exceptional, and easy access to the many walking paths, playgrounds along the lake.

Now, if they would only realize that their "Free" breakfast is basicly inedible, hence free. Oh there are great muffins, but the egg "pancakes" and the poorly cooked tasteless sausages are just plain bad.

How about scrambled eggs and some of that famous Canadian bacon, or at least some bacon you can eat?! Lets get some protein in that breakfast offering!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Drew C
Lake2020, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments, and for taking the time to highlight many of the features of the hotel and the Downtown/parkside location that we are proud of and work extremely hard to enhance. Thank you as well for your feedback on the daily breakfast. Both Scrambled Eggs and Bacon are items that we have previously used. Due to your valid and valuable comments we will feature on a more regular basis. We look forward to your return visit and appreciate your business.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was pleasently surprised after reading some of the reviews but decided to give it a try anyway. The other reviewers are on the money when they say that the hotel needs some updating but other than the cosmetics its not a bad hotel. My room was clean and comfortable and the window did open, and the view was pretty good.

Breakfast was average but very slow to be replenished as there was a conference on and only 1 person scheduled it seems, to handle a sold out hotel for breakfast. The food was on par with every other midline hotel I have stayed with in the past few months.

Like the previous reviewer I was told that a late checkout was not possible due to the hotel being sold out that night.... not a big deal overall and they did store my luggage while I went to my meetings.

Overall not bad. I would stay again

Room Tip: Request parkview rooms, the view is spectacular and you avoid all of the noise from the cougar bar n...
Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank reviewschic
, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay with us. We are sorry we could not accommodate your request for a late check-out and thank you for recognizing our efforts to ensure your day was a success despite the setback. Thank you also for your comments regarding our daily complimentary breakfast. Indeed sold-out evenings and/or large conferences provide the opportunities for our hard working staff to exceed expectations and we apologize if we failed to do so.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

should have trusted trip advisors comments but thought, well they could've cleaned up their act. Boy was i wrong. The purpose of this trip was a conference that was booked at this hotel. When we checked in the first indication that there may be issues was that we were given 1 room key which didn't work. We took out luggage back to the front desk and obtained another key and returned to try it again. Surprise it worked. We entered our room to find a bathroom ceiling with peeling paint and "moldish" spots on the ceiling. When we tried to open the window we realized why there was mold, the room faced the air conditioning and heating systems for the hotel and if the windows were open these mechanisms were too noisy to sleep. So we had air conditioning for the next 3 days and lived with the mold. When we tried to turn the tv on, there was no reception so we had to call the front desk to send someone to fix it. When he arrived he told us that this happens alot. Why not fix them properly so this doesn't reoccur?

Later that night I tried to connect to the internet from our room using the password and instructions given to me from the front desk . It didn't work. When I called the front desk they told me, in a very exasperated tone to take my computer to them and they would fix it. When I explained that i knew a few things about computers they told me to go to the datavalets.com corporate page. Once i was there I was to hit a search engine and that would "fool" the system into allowing me to use the internet. Why bother having a system that is so problematic for your guests??
The free breakfast the next day was standard hotel faire with stale danishes and burnt rubbery omelets, lineups for everything as there was only one tray of everything. I asked a waiter if I should leave my plate on the table and he proceeded to explain how I should clear my plate, scraping the food into the garbage can and placing the used cutlery beside the plates as thats how he liked it. Its a good thing I was making his life easier cause he wasn't helping me out at all!!
I went to use the pool/exercise facility and there were no towels in either the mens or ladies changing rooms. A maintenance man was able to assist me by finding 2 towels from the dryer which I was grateful for as we only were given 2 towels in our room and i wanted to be able to take a shower that night with a clean towel not one from the fitness center. After a swim I showered in the very dark shower in the dressing room-perfect for growing mushrooms!!
The last straw after 2 sleepless nights with the WORST small foam pillows imagineable I asked for a late checkout. It was a tuesday. They said no, that the rooms had to be cleaned. When I explained that the day before our room wasn't made up until 3pm they told me thats the time of new guest check in and they couldn't accomodate me. overall I was disappointed and will not stay there again nor will I recommend it. They should spend less money on advertising and more on customer service training for their staff and ensuring that the guests are staying in clean comfortable well maintained rooms and their amenities are problem free.

2 Thank Gangurltraveller
Thank you for taking the time to identify issues you had during your stay with us. Exceeding overall Guest Experiences is what we strive to achieve each day at the Waterfront Hotel. We have no excuses for anything other than positive and proper guest communication and interaction, if we failed in our attempts to provide that we apologize. Problem free amenities including bedding, television and Internet are indeed an important part of any guest experience and to that end discussions with our providers have already taken place to ensure that no guests have similar issues. We apologize that our late check-out time could not be extended past 3pm. We appreciate our guests travel plans, by extending check-out time or storing luggage we attempt to meet all guests requirements whenever possible. For guest comfort each room at the Waterfront Hotel contains its own independent Heating and Cooling unit. We apologize again for any issues you encountered with the unit and our housekeeping staff, who have begun a search in an attempt to locate and eliminate any issues you have raised. Thank you again for your time and comments.
wakefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stayed for first time whilst with my husband who stays there monthly on business. great location and fab comfy beds. breakfast served in the adjoining independently run pub which could do with a good clean in the breakfast area where the round tables are on the raised up carpeted areas .... food around and under the table bases looking months old ... dried up and mouldy.mentioned it to young man on front desk and asked me to email Jason the GM ...i immediately did but still not had a response although he said the email would have gone into the back office.Eight of us ... all residents were expected to pay 5 dollars each to get into pub on a Friday night so didnt bother and spent our money elsewhere. back there next week as convenient for husbands work ... will see if it is any cleaner in the breakfast area.....

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank kazaWakefield
We appreciate the time and effort you have taken to highlight many aspects of your stay, and apologize for any delay in responding to you. We certainly believe our location, pillow-top mattresses, new bedding and many other features including the complimentary breakfast served to all of our guests are important elements to your overall experience. We understand your comments and certainly agree that cleanliness of these high traffic areas is also essential. This issues has been addressed and we look forward to your return visit.
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at The Waterfront Hotel downtown Burlington. The hotel was clean, and quiet. When I found my room across from the elevator I assumed the noise would be loud but I didn't hear a thing from the hallway. The bed was extremely comfortable and the large flat screen TV was nice to watch! Although the hotel could use several updates and minor repairs such as the loose tiles in the entrance and the wallpaper in the room that seemed to be peeling off, I would stay there again. The staff was very helpful and the view of the lake and park were beautiful. With shops and great restaurants only steps away, it was the perfect little getaway spot!

2 Thank JeffersonJsO
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

We almost didn't stay at the Waterfront because of some of the reviews and that would have been a mistake. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was nice, and the location right on Lake Ontario unbeatable. Plus it is the only hotel in Burlington where the lake and downtown are walkable. The windows open and our room had been largely kept up to date though in spots showed its age...i.e. the same 20 year old tile we have at home but nothing serious. Only thing to watch is that some lower east side rooms face a patio/bar which could get noisy on a weekend but was no problem on a weeknight. Glad we stayed there and will again on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a west side room for a great lake and park view.
3 Thank Hodihodi
Lake2020, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
On behalf of the staff and management of the Waterfront Hotel I wanted to take a moment and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All staff at the Waterfront Hotel work extremely hard to ensure that our overall service and amenities enhance our guests stay and that we do not take for granted our valued and sought after Downtown and park-side location. We look forward to your future visits.