“Still upset about treatment”

Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Burlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
British Columbia
“Still upset about treatment”
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I wrote a review of our experience at this Hotel back in 2005 and I just want people to know what they did to us. As a family of four, two kids, two adults, I booked our holidays months ahead. No smoking, two queen beds and a cot. When I booked our room at this hotel, I read the reviews and saw it was on the waterfront and got the impression it would be a nice place to stay. After booking online, I remembered we needed a cot and decided to call to confirm my original booking and add the cot. The clerk tried to get me to book the "Teddy Bear" theme room because we had kids. I said my kids were too old for that stuff and to give us a nice non-smoking room with a view, please. The day were to check in, I called from Sudbury about 2pm to confirm we were coming but would be a late check in. I was assured because we had booked with a credit card, our room would be held for us. When we got there late with two tired kids, the clerk gave us the most disgusting room I have ever been in. It stank with smoke, and there was even a used condom package behind the TV. When I complained of course I was told we could not be moved because the hotel was full. I asked who she gave our room away to because the room we were in was the dump in the basement that is given to the bar patrons when the bar closed for the night. They made my kids and my husband and I stay in a party room. Funny thing was, it was decorated with "Teddy Bears" Yes, it was the room the other clerk tried to get me to book a month ago. The one I said no to back then. This room was so laden with smoke and stink and dried on scum that I could not breath properly. I know, we should have left, but what can you do at 11pm at night in a city you are unfamiliar with? So we stayed. It was degrading. In the morning they moved us to the correct room we should have had the night before. The manager was very uncaring and when I asked him if he had been in that particular room he said no. I told him he should so he can see the kind of dump he was representing for $150 a night. And he would not give us any kind of compensation for what they did to us. I did contact their head office at the time but no one was very apologetic. Since then, I was emailed that I was right and the room was immediately closed for reno and ozone treatment for the stink. But, how many people do they do this to on a regular basis? Tell people your nice room will be ready for you and then give them the dump in the basement? This is a true review, people should know what was done to us and what can happen to them.

• Liked — No redeeming qualities
  • Disliked — Being treated like dirt.
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
3 Thank clayvaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 5, 2006

For a basic, off-the-highway lodging, this hotel gets high marks from me. I was travelling through Canada to New York, so I was road weary. I was greeted warmly and all my questions were answered. Internet is provided. The location and views on Lake Ontario, adjacent to a pretty park and the shops of downtown Burlington make this a special lodging, kind of small-town, laid back, and NOT on the highway, which is a treat. The rooms are basic motel, but clean, which is also high on my list of requirements.

While I wouldn't choose this older motel for an "event", it's ideal for travelling through. No significant issues.

• Stayed November 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank princessgraciella
Windsor
Reviewed September 19, 2006

The hotel itself was fine. The restaurant however was not. The service at best is slowwwww and very overpriced. The breakfast was a total disaster. To get a coffee you had to flag down the wait staff and then were told to wait and sometimes had coffee grounds in it. If you asked for a tea -that never appeared. The cereal-you didn't get a choice of and no one had enough milk. A few people had hair in their cereal . The staff was rude to several diners who were told to sit down and wait. When they asked for cream they were told to "look on your table" which didn't have any so other guests offered theirs. My daughter asked for a tea and bagel and was told "you get the contential breakfast." She is a vegan and can't eat what was served and of course got nothing When I said I couldn't eat the breakfast because of medical issues I was given no choices. At check out the only conversation seemed to be how bad the breakfast experience had been.

• Liked — ROOMS
  • Disliked — RESTAURANT
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Mississauga
Reviewed March 13, 2006

I really liked this hotel. I checked in late and got a good room for three days. Was I surprised when I woke up and saw the view from my room. I could see for miles across the Lake and on a cool March Saturday, there were hundreds of people using the park behind the hotel.
Breakfast was free with the room and I had free high speed internet acess for my laptop, something I had to pay $9.99 for at other hotels.

I can't wait to come back in the summer time.

Stayed March 2006
Wolfville, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2006

This hotel is close to where my family lives; that's perhaps one of the only good features. The phone didn't work to retrieve messages, call the desk, etc. The heater could only be turned off by unplugging it, a bit worrisome what with the duct tape holding the plug together. Light bulb burnt out; iron scorch mark on carpet and very poor carpet repairs from previous scorch marks...I did wonder why the hotel provided an ironing board when clearly it was popular to iron right on the carpet! The bathtub did not drain until we asked for it to be declogged. The clock radio alarm did not work. The loud dance music from the bar was irritating when trying to sleep. On a positive note, the hotel kindly provided a router so we could use the free internet access.

The continental breakfast was ho hum; service was extremely slow to the point that we passed on the complementary meal after the second day and spent cash elsewhere. There is a nice Italian coffee shop/bakery (Panne Fresco on Locust St) one block west of the hotel that is worth going to although service there was also slow.

Next time I'm in town, I'll stay somewhere else. I have stayed in this hotel three times. It gets worse each stay.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank kikimomo2011
missouri
Reviewed November 8, 2005

We were in town from the USA for a business function. Accomodations at the hotel were fine. Ate 1 evening meal in the restaurant and it was fine. Ate 1 breakfast --- the continental breakfast would have been ok, but we opted for a breakfast from the menu. Food was good, but service was terrible and we were not the only ones compaining about the service. Servers would come to table asking if you needed anything, but never reappeared with your 'requests' and this seemed to be the norm for most tables!

2 other restaurants we dined at during our stay were the Paradiso Restaurant (located 1 block from the hotel) and it was wonderful! We had a 5 course meal, with several entree selections available, and everything was delicious! The service was impeccable, to the point that I commented to the manager how friendly and attentative her servers were.
Would definitely recommend this establishment.

We had a breakfast buffet at the Pepperwood Bistro, across the street and down 1 block from the hotel. Again, the food and the service were wonderful!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank shis
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 30, 2005

We booked at the Travelodge Burlington on the Lake for a recent wedding, not knowing anything about the town or the hotel. We received a price reduction due to the wedding group and paid $119.00 Canadian per night.
The hotel is beautifully located on Lake Ontario, just in front of the huge city park spread out along the lake. Our check-in was quick and well-organized. Our room was on the first floor, just in from the lobby. The room was roomy with a king size bed, couch and coffee table, small dinette table with 2 chairs, and the TV cabinet. It had a rusty decor that was cozy and welcoming. The only recommendation I would make is that although the bathroom is large, the tub/shower could use a redo. However, the bathroom was clean with plenty of towels.
The hotel has a nice restaurant and bar, but we did not eat any lunches or dinners there, so I cannot rate the food. One other couple did eat lunch there and said it was so-so.
They do have a complimentary continental breakfast that is very basic and could use some improvement. The coffee was not very hot and the toaster always had a long line. However, for a free breakfast, I cannot complain.
We did eat at a restaurant nearby called the Rude Native that had a very eclectic menu. The setting was very nice, so was the service and food.
The wedding reception was at a park on the lake - Geraldo's at Lasalle Park. The food was unbelieveable great, and again, wonderful service. What a wonder place for a reception.

1 Thank louise04