“Business Trip, Nice hotel, Great service”

Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Burlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Stayed on business. We used the conference room downstairs for our 2 day seminar. We asked for lunch to be provided each day and it was good but it was the exact same on day 2. The complementary breakfast was just ok. 2 hot elements we sausage and IMO a quick-style flat egg. Bread and bagels for toasting as well as cerel. Juices, coffee and milk. Could use some work. Enjoyed the restaurant/bar in the hotel. Great deck to sit on in the evenings and wonderful wait staff. Room was clean and great staff checking in and out. Would stay for business or pleasure again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank tripgoerNS
There are newer reviews for Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington

Reviewed June 19, 2011

Stayed again at the Waterfront for a couple of nights for business. Still a comfortable hotel, with quite good helpful staff. The hotel is a bit worn but still functional. Still have the same strange hot breakfast, waffles and sausages (??), but you can manage a reasonable breakfast with the cereals and toast.
Great location but probably in need of an updating in terms of rooms and facilities.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I do regret needing to be so negative about a hotel with such a great location. Downtown Burlington is cute (but closed on Sunday), and sitting on the lake is a unique treat. Unfortunately the hotel is just kept to such a low standard that it is necessary to draw a distinction between what is apparently a fine location and everything else that could possibly go wrong in a hotel.
At 9pm the hotel lobby restaurant, the "B&B" turns into a night club. The entrance from the hotel is blocked by a rude security guard to direct you to go outside to the parking lot, walk around to a different entrance. The impression is - "Hotel guest? means nothing". My objective was to get a late bite, but the transformation into a loud club was enough to send me looking elsewhere. Asking the front desk clerk if there was another facility nearby he informed me that “unfortunately, the B&B becomes a dance club at 9pm”.
I knew I didn't have a view from my room, but it didn't occur to me that the overlook of the restaurant patio would come to haunt me all night. Until 2am loud music, and drunken yelling and shouting would poor into my room on the 4th floor. The front desk simply informed me that at 2am it would be over. My pleads that perhaps the gruff security guard ask the outdoor group to stop celebrating every drink with a yell, but the level of interest at the front desk was zero. My final appeal for a different room was met with the mention that the hotel was full.
Finally at 2am the party shut down, and now the drunk crowd milled and yelled around the parking lot until finally dispersing. By 2:30 am sleep was possible. Unfortunately by this point the bedding with a consistency of sand paper was wearing on my skin and I found myself uncomfortable at every turn. Eventually asleep I found myself awoken by 6am with running in the room above. The feeling that there is nothing more than plywood and paint between my upstairs neighbor was enhanced by the open and slamming of doors throughout the hall way. After just a few hours of sleep the possibility of sleeping in the next day was eliminated through the prevalence of sounds from my floor and the floor above me.
Around 8 I gave up and went to the continental breakfast. A nice sign in the lobby shows the hours for the free breakfast with a picture of egg, bacon and sausage. The sigh goes to list that the continental breakfast “includes foods such as egg, bacon, toast, cereal, …”. I had noted the “such as” phrase earlier as interesting, and realized that this form of non-committal verbiage was very much intentional. The continental breakfast consisted of: stale milk, tangy orange juice, stale bread, bagels, three cereal selections, pre-made waffles and something that is shaped like sausage (the color, consistency, and taste were not that of sausage). Most notably – egg is not served, but it was a possibility based on the sign – only a possibility. Much like the possibility I could have been confused into thinking I could sleep in the hotel, based on the offer of a bed in a room that was mine for the price of a night’s stay.
The only observation I can make to the positive is that the room was spacious and clean (no stains, insects, broken fixtures). The TV is a fuzzy CRT, the wifi is low signal, and the desk lamp does have two power outlets on the table/desk. There is no comfortable seating (the couch is only slightly softer than a wooden chair).
If traveling as a tourist, go down the QEW to Niagra. It’s cute and tacky but has great dining and a series of hotels that run the spectrum from tacky to Vegas-Lite to premium chain. If a business traveler, there’s not much business nearby, I’d go ahead and commute.
I've spent over 1,000 nights in hotels in the past 5 years. Very few of those nights are as memorable as this one at the Waterfront Hotel, and I will be glad to direct any potential guest as far as possible from this property - that is if you desire the hotel to be a place to get a good, or even average, night's sleep.

Room Tip: Away from patio, better yet at a different hotel
4  Thank Mik505
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I staryed at the Burlington Travelodge on the lake this week. I returned after several years because of it's location and the memories of a good place to stay. I asked for a senior discount and when I got there, I was given a room in the basement of the hotel, looking out onto or rather into a window well. The view was the legs of those walking by on the sidewalk. I spoke to the young woman at the desk and asked if that was what I got because I had a seniors discount. She said no and offered me a room on the third floor beside the ice machine...No thanks!

My experience with Travelodge in both the US and Canada has been very poor and I will never stay in one of their hotels again. Service is inconsistent and the condition of the facilites - especially in the US - is far from reliable.

Never again!

Reviewed May 18, 2011

we stayed at the Waterfront Hotel as guests and for our event The Tropical Paradise Pageant for Babies, Children &Teens- the staff was most helpful especially Jason and Eva for our set up- the front desk girls were personality plus - after our event a nice young man Daniel offered his services to carry out our props - the location was perfect and we will be back again next year- The food at the indoor restaurant was excellent and although we wanted to see more of Burlington we ate there both evenings- What a wonderful breakfast - most hotels it's just muffins and fruit - here we had bacon, eggs, bagels the works!! Excellent all around -- Our first impression with Jason convinced us he was first class and therefore the Hotel must be and we were correct If anyone wants information on our next event in Burlington go to allcanadianpageants.com, Thankyou Waterfront Hotel!!

1  Thank joannemargaret
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I stayed few days in Burlington for business trip, and we also held our meetings in the hotel. Meeting facilities works well, nothing to complain. Hotel location is very nice and central for Burlington. Hotel name complies with distance to the lake: very close and beautiful view. Hotel rooms are a bit too average and also somehow a bit too standard, but clean and nothing to really complain about. Hotel gym is small and good for aerobic training with bicycles and cross-trainers, but very little selection to offer for weight lifters or room for Pilates type of training. Hotel breakfast is complimentary and OK, although I was missing something green to put on my plate. I guess room rates, or especially promotion rates available, are average and acceptable for this area. Overall this is OK hotel and you can stay here.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

I stayed 4 nights for work/training. The hotel was clean and recently renovated. My room had a nice exposed brick wall which I liked. I found the gym to be fairly decent with new equipment athough it was a little squishy. I had an issue which I bought up to the front desk and it was prompty dealt with. The breakfast repeated every other day and wasn't that great--but it was ok and did the trick. The location was nice--on the water and in the downtown area where it was easy to walk to resturants.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business