“A highschool flashback to durian and soursop shakes”

Quan 99 Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 265 Restaurants in Brantford
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“A highschool flashback to durian and soursop shakes”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Quan 99 was probably my first authentic Vietnamese food experience 25 years ago. It was located in a tiny space void of ambience on Colborne, blocks from my highschool. I pulled everyone I could here for the wok snowpeas, duck wings and exotica like sour sop and durian shakes. The restaurant has moved to a larger, brighter space on King George Road. Again, decor isn't the main attraction, but it's clean and welcoming--it's enormous plates of reliably satisfying entrees are the draw.
At lunch, diners save $2 on the regular entrees--and you'll go home with leftovers. I went with my parents--and it was my dad's first dabble with Viet-Thai food, so, I suggested he play it safe with the likes of Pad Thai. The noodles used are vermicelli instead of the fatter traditional Thai noodles--and the sauce was not overly sweet like the overkill of other ketchupy versions elsewhere. He is still talking about Pad Thai a week later.
My mom chose a beef wok stirfry that was heaped with peppers and onion and a soy-punched sauce. She ooohed and aaaahed for a good five minutes, and seemingly, still hadn't made a dent in her portion it was so enormous.
I'm a sucker for any dish promising cashews and the Cashew Chicken delivered. A side serving of rice balanced the sweetly laced green and red peppers, onions, thin strips of tender chicken and generous serving of whole cashews.
The spring rolls were as I remembered--always of perfect golden crispness.
For 25 years in business, Quan 99 has created a wide menu (many vegetarian options) with Viet staples, Thai favourites and avocado shakes for the adventuresome.
It's a quiet lunch time spot--you won't be blasted out by music or too-close conversation. Go hungry! And, don't be surprised when you fall under the Quan 99 spell of finding new friends and family to introduce to the restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank jtorti7

“Ok Takeout”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Grabbed as takeout and recieved a 10% discount. Food was ok the cashew veggie dish was tasty but the pad thai was a bit dry. Portion size was good for the price. Pleasant service.

• Visited March 2014
Brantford, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great little spot”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The family who runs this little Vietnamese/ Thai restaurant are very friendly and eager to please you. I love the food and love to support small operations like this one. The pineapple boat is to die for. Great vegetarian menu selections as well.

Visited February 2014
Brantford, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Save Your $$”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The food is grosse. If you have ever had good Thai, you will know that Quan 99 sucks!! The Calamari was rubbery, egg rolls were soggy, & Pad Thai was dry and flavourless. What a waste of $$. Never again. I was only able to eat a couple of bites before throwing the whole dish in the trash. Should have listened to the people whose reviews I read. Basically it is expensive, but crap food.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DuchessAshley55
Ohsweken, Canada
“Love this place!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I eat here once a month because of the food and the staff. I always order the hot and sour soup which is amazing! This is the only place that I have eaten at that puts pineapple in the soup and it adds so much flavour! My wife and I shared the spring rolls, which is an amazing deal...12 for $12. In previous visits, I have had the pineapple boat and let me tell you...flavour explosion in your mouth! We will continue to eat here!

• Visited June 2013