“Nice Stay”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Brantford
WELLAND
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I would like to say that our stay at the hotel was nice. My son and I came to stay in Brantford and had to travel back and forth to Hamilton for medical appointments. I grew up in Brantford (moved away 28 years ago) and have never been in this hotel before. The front desk staff were friendly and he tried to help us out as much as he could. The room was on the ground floor and we could drive around and park just outside our room and bring our travel bags into the room from the patio. Everything was clean and tidy. I would stay here again. Our free continental breakfast was good. Started at 7 am which I would find a little late since we had to be gone shortly after 7.
The pool uses salt chlorinator which is really good for me and my son, since we are both sensative and allergic to chemicals and we wouldn't enjoy the pool as much. We were the only ones in the pool at the time. The location of this hotel is not far from 2 grocery stores, across the street from a bowling ally and just down the street is Mohawk Park. Also, there is a Wendy's, a Tim Horton's and a Sub shop on the same side as the hotel. A gas station is a block away from the hotel. So close to amenities, bus, and there is a few things to do in Brantford. A few museums to visit, i.e Bell Homestead, Mohawk Chapel, there are some shopping malls to visit also. Will definitely come back to this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel January 13, 2012 for a hockey tournament being held at the Gretzky Sports complex. While this hotel was not my first choice it was important to my son to stay with his team mates. We arrived early on Friday after a morning game and were pleased to find out that we would be able to check in early. The women at the check in desk was polite and explained the breakfast hours and such with us in a timely manner.

The lobby seemed clean and welcoming with an electrical fireplace near the entrance. There were two computers in the lobby as well that seemed to be the business centre. Not a great location for privacy as anyone checking into the hotel would be able to view the computer screens when passing by.

We were sent to a room on the first floor facing the parking lot and realized almost immediately that this was going to be an interesting stay. The room was very small and dated. The furniture was well worn and the room smelled "old" for a lack of a better word. The bathroom pipes had tin foil wrapped around them I am assuming to prevent leaking. It was not the pipe tape that you sometimes see it was actually tin foil wrapped over all of the piping. The shower stall was pretty clean; I did not see any mold though there was a musty smell. The towel rack seemed to have come off the wall several times and you could see the holes and the wall plugs had not been covered up or removed. The fan on the ceiling was falling off and the paint was peeling around the edges. There was dirt all around the base boards and hairs everywhere.

I immediately pulled down the sheets to inspect the bed as I always do to check for bed bugs and found the sheets were stained with what looked to be blood spots. We had asked for a cot as well and found this to be in very bad shape though much cleaner then the bed. The curtains were dirty and there was brown staining on the front and back. Looked like melted chocolate but could have been something else entirely. I was immediately ready to leave the hotel but instead went to the front desk to inquire about getting another room. I was informed that there were no other rooms as the hotel was fully booked. After complaining further however I was informed that there was a smoking room available. I do not smoke and no how uncomfortable it can be to stay in a room that smells of smoke but went to look at it as anything was better than the room we were in. It seemed much cleaner though it really smelled bad. I turned down this choice and informed the front desk to please contact me if anyone should cancel and an alternative room became available. No call was received that evening and ended up sleeping in our cloths on top of our jackets.

We went for breakfast in the morning and were disturbed to see that the breakfast table was set up under a large hole in the ceiling that looked blackened with mold. Not up to code for sure! The food that was laid out was cookies, mini muffins, white and brown texas toast bread, yogurt and whole fruit. You could get a pancake or scrambled eggs if you asked for them. Tables were set up near the buffet table with no table cloths. There were wires sticking out of holes in the wall and the electrical outlets were missing the covers.

The final straw for us in when we turned on the shower and our toilet turned into a water fall! Water started pouring out of the toilet and the floor flooded within seconds spreading to the carpet in the room. I ran to get the maid in the hall and informed her that our toilet was over flowing and she casually said what can I do about it! I informed her again that the rooms was flooding as the water was rushing very fast and she slowly walked to the room to take a look until she saw the water was now rushing into the hall way! She finally ran and got some help from the manager on duty and they turned the emergency water valve off to stop the water. By this point some of our things were wet and the room was completely flooded! Conveniently a room miraculously became available and we were moved within minutes to and Jacuzzi suite which was not much better. We were given a $50.00 adjustment on our $115.00 room rate for our troubles.

There are many more issues I could mention regarding this hotel but the list would be endless. Do yourself a favor and spend your money somewhere else! YOU DO NOT WANT TO STAY HERE.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mione

Travelers are raving about these Brantford hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2011

It wasn't my first choice, but it was the only place with a room available. It was pretty good. Room was clean enough. Walls were pretty thin and I could hear revelry & romance in the nearby rooms. Room service was pretty good! Tim Hortons & Wendys next door were handy too!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2011

i went there and the first room i was in room 131 there was an ant infestation, so they moved me to room 118, and when i got in the room and settled in i found a cockroach in the bathroom, then after going swimming with my kids im getting them ready for bed i pull the covers off down from the one bed and there was a cockroach in the bed, i get moved at 830 at night. the manager said he would do something for me when it came down to checking out but, they told me to screw it and there was nothing that they would do. THE MANAGER IS A REAL PR ....and oh my kids are 5 years and 9 months

Room Tip: dont come here
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Seaforth, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Driving around back of this olderhotel makes you question the type of room you may be checking into. Rear lawn was not maintained, cement on hotel walls were damaged. Rear entrance door is very worn but works good enough to lock. No elevators. We were on the 3rd floor with small children and many bags. Our room was near the stairway. The room was very clean, many updates (bathroom, tv, beds), very quiet, lots of windows in the corner room we were in and comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Clean, mostly updated and quiet
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Windsor
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Most times when i stay at Hotels i stay at mostly Hilton Brand Hotels. But every once in awhile I stay at other brands because i am not the one booking the rooms. We just got back from spending the weekend at this Hotel we were in Brantford for Baseball with 13, 17 year old boys. Staff was Nice, rooms were clean carpets looked fairly new Room had a belcony where we could put equipment to dry/air out. there is a pool which was clean, computers in lobby. Restaurant was attached to the hotel complimentary breakfast. (continental ) but you could order off the menu and take $4.00 off the price of the meal the food was good but the service was terrible waited 10 min and still didn't have a menu ended up going to McDonalds the second Morning because there wasn't anything at the complimentary breakfast that my daughter would eat. Prices for beverages were a little on the pricey side. and some of the meals were a little pricey to but there was allot of food If you are pressed for time i wouldn't recommend eating here. other than the service at the restaurant i don't have anything bad to say.Tim Hortons a couple of doors down and a wendys, subway , grocery store right accors the street .

Room Tip: Microwave and fridge in the rooms was helpful, Timhortons almost next door
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Expedia shows this hotel is three stars which is why we considered staying here. This is very far from the truth. It's more like one star. Very old and run down... Walloper was torn, bathroom cramped and small, stain on the carpet, smoky smell in the hallways and musty smell in the room. Breakfast was pretty sad. Wondering how they can say this was recently renovated?!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brantford
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Brantford, Ontario
Best Western Brantford Hotel And Conference Centre Brantford Hotel And Conference Centre
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in Ancaster
Courtyard Hamilton
Courtyard Hamilton
#7 of 20 in Hamilton

Been to Brantford Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!