New Suranjana Holiday Resorts
The Gateway Hotel EM Bypass(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$81
Hotels.com
OYO 10079 Rainbow Guest House(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$45
Orbitz.com
All reviewsbed teaplace to staythe riveroperativeinfrastructureboatjourneyisland
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I visited the Sunderbans with a group of 84 , 14/15 years old students as part of an educational trip from our school, The Hiranandani Foundation School at Mumbai. We stayed at Suranjana for two days. We occupied the entire property and hence put the entire hotel into full gear. All the rooms were neat,bedding and blankets in place. Housekeeping was done well. The whole hotel runs on a generator but never seems lacking for electricity. Had small problems regarding the hot water etc but was well taken care of ...Total admiration for the local staff n villagers who are smiling,helpful,simple n eager to earn some money in such a harsh,adverse human habitat of the world. The students enjoyed the freedom of the resort fully..It is nicely located on one of the biggest islands the Dayapur island. Sunderbans as a place has to be seen to be experienced. One cannot describe the beauty of these mangrove forests in words. I being a teacher, felt nice that my students got an opportunity to see a place not at all visted by schools in India.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank preethij72
Reviewed December 8, 2012

If you are thrusting for a wildlife view,then Sunderban is NOT the place. Sunderban is place to see mangroves , backwaters canals and it's village life. Suranjana is nicely placed in dayapur and in close proximity of Village. It's not cottage style , It's a hotel building. Rooms are OK , given the place it is. The Best part is the food. Suranjana runs packages,where they will serve you food for Break fast , Lunch , Snacks and Dinner. Just walk a extra mile and ask them to cook Desi Bhetki and Crab. They may charge you for that , but it's fine. You will remember the taste.

Place is nice for roaming around the places and creeks. But little carefull after dawn , if you are venturing out of Hotel. It is sunderban , land of Man eaters . Even if you can not see them , They can see you.
I got no issue with hotel and food or room .But I have serious issues with the Owners and managers. They do petty things to save money. Thank god, I was with friends and not with family. The trip was good , we all enjoyed even we have not seen much of wild life , infact any wildlife.

While returning , at Goshaba , they told the bus wrongfully picked up some other guests. Then they told , they have called some other bus and that bus also did the same thing. We waited for almost 4 hrs at Goshaba and finally got a sumo to drop us at Science city. This was cheap . We can easily understand that because of smalls no of people , they did not want to get a bus or full vehicle to drop us and wanted to do some arrangements. This is purely because of the mindset of inefficient business man. Earn as much in a single day.

Room Tip: Get higher rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Now, before I review I must warn you. If you are the 5/4 Star type of a tourist with fussy wives who can’t sleep without a soft pillow, this resort is certainly not for you.

This resort is absolutely a “no” star category and is more like a home managed resort hotel. To keep my review short, I would rate the rooms just about basic, with clean toilets.( Well what else would I want in my jungle trip?) The food is simple and homemade, ( Alubhaja/Machel jhol/Chicken curry /Rice). No baked Alaska in this part of the world. The mantra of this place is “ keep it neat and Simple”.. and tell you what that’s what I liked about the place. There are few good men who you will keep you entertained with Tiger stories .
Sunderbans, as they say , is all about the illusive TIGER who is seldom seen by the tourist. The thrill has always been the steamer rides, the back water of Bengal, mangrove forests, birds flying home and a beautiful sunsets One word of caution “ beware of the mosquitoes, carrying mosquito repellent is a must.

Room Tip: 1st Floor corner rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rajdev5150
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I visited Sundarban and stayed at Suranjana Resort last December. The arrangement was excellent with enjoyable food, good accommodation and very good sight-seeing arrangement. Among the staff of Suranjana I would always Parimal who, with smiling face, was always ready to help us in whichever way possible. Stay and visit to Sundarban with Suranjana made my Christmas holiday 2011 memorable

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Sunderbans-23th to 25th Jan 2012..
Planned ourselves.Exclusive launch boat to us n friends.
Best time was the continuous 8 hours on the boat swaying thru n thru the dense forests.
Bfast ,Tea,Lunch,snacks, all cooked by us on the launch boat n served HOT, whenever we wanted.
Green all around, chilli winds, pin drop silence. had a gr8 time.

Room Tip: 1st floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family