“Great Hotel ... But the night included some drama we didn't ask for!”

Courtyard Toronto Brampton
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Brampton
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
“Great Hotel ... But the night included some drama we didn't ask for!”
Reviewed June 8, 2007

First off I should explain that I'm pretty fussy about the hotels I choose. Cleanliness is very important to me. I visit hotel review websites and get as much information as I can before I make my decision.

I just got back from a Friday night stay with my two nieces (ages 9 and 11). I chose this property because I had previously stayed at a Courtyard and really enjoyed that experience. I also love the fact that this hotel is completely non-smoking and the security feature of not being able to access sidedoor/backdoor hotel entrances without your room key. Since this night out was a birthday gift for one of the nieces, I wanted a hotel with an indoor pool that she and her sister could enjoy. They were really excited to find that the pool area included a waterslide. There were two lifeguards on duty while we were there.

I reserved the 2 queen bed room from the Marriott website and we did not run into any problems with the reservation. The woman who checked us in was very friendly. Our room on the 5th floor was excellent! It smelled wonderful and was really clean. It included a mini fridge and coffee maker, which is always a bonus in my opinion. And I can't say enough about the wonderful lighting (non-sufficient lighting has always been a pet peeve of mine!). The room included a flat screen television, an iron/ironing board, hair dryer and a nice sized bathroom. The vending machine on our floor was sold out of most of its beverages so we purchased our drinks and snacks in the lobby "Market" connected to the check-in counter. Surprisingly, the prices weren't outrageous and I was able to charge them to my room.

We stayed on the back end of the hotel which has a view of the industrial area and the city lights at night - so don't book here if it's a spectacular view you're looking for!

We had dinner at an Applebee's which is just a walk across the parking lot from the hotel. There is also a Casey's and a Tim Horton's/Wendy's in the same area. I really can't comment on the quality of the food available at the hotel since we passed on the over-priced breakfast that was offered in the hotel lobby area and opted for Tim Horton's instead. (I believe the check-in clerk told us it would be $12.95 for buffet and $8.95 for continental).

Now for the negative ... it was approximately midnight when the hotel fire alarm woke us from our sleep. We scrambled out of our room and headed for the nearest staircase. Outside we gathered with the rest of the hotel visitors for about a half hour until the crowd headed back into the lobby. My only complaint about this visit is was how this particular situation was handled. There were a lot of children who were scared and looking for answers from the adults. Unfortunately, we weren't given many details except for the fact that the non-fire related "incident" that involved a hallway fire extinguisher had occured on the 3rd floor and those guests would have to gather their belongings and be relocated on different floors. The rest of us were allowed to return to our rooms. I felt that the manager should have given us more details as to what had happened even if it was limited due to an investigation. When we checked out later that morning, the clerk was still not able to tell us exactly what had happened but that hotel security cameras were being looked at etc.

With the exception of the night's interruption/disturbance, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Cleanliness, comfort, conveniences of property/room and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — The fire alarm incident and lack of a nearby ATM
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Colbert_Chick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Reviewed May 30, 2007

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with a family. We recently stayed here for 3 days before travelling to Montreal.

Facilities were excellent, (Pool With Slide, Free Coffee and Cookies and free access to the internet via wifi or a computer in reception provided by marriot), The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. There is an Applebees, Caseys, Tim Hortons within 20 secs walk off the hotel.

We found the hotel to be an ideal base to visit Toronto during the day but come back and unwind out of the hustle and bustle at night.

The only thing that you must consider is you require a car to go anywhere as it is away from the central attraction and public transport.

The rooms were clean and spacious - we had a King size bed, sofa bed, fridge, good air con and all the other usual amenities (TV etc..) Bathrooms were clean throughout. Bed was extermely comfy and some of the best nights sleep I have ever had.

I would definately recommend this to anyone asking and we will be back

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Pool slide only open on certain days
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank KevAberdeen
Toronto
Reviewed April 26, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at the Courtyard Brampton Marriott on several occasions when in town visiting friends, and I can safely say that this hotel is consistently clean, the beds are very comfortable, the bathrooms sparkling. This is a fairly new property( 2005, I believe), and the rooms are quite luxurious and spacious. There's also a number of steakhouse restaurants, a Tim Hortons coffee shop and a Cineplex all in walking distance. The staff are friendly and hospitable as well. There's also a nice pool with a waterslide. We always go back here, even after looking all over the internet at other hotels, we can easily see this is the best bet, considering we once stayed downtown at The Metropolitan Hotel which cost us $175 a night, and it was a dump. The Courtyard costs usually no more than $130, and is always beautifully maintained with outstanding service.

• Liked — Modern, comfortable new accomodations that is surprisingly affordable, without the "cheap" feel
  • Disliked — about a 30 min drive from downtown Toronto, but there's plenty to do in Brampton, still.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarlitaToronto
canada
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I tried to book a business mediation at this location for October. it was very frustrating dealing with the sales/catering department as they would not even consider this booking until 6 weeks from the requested date. I tried to explain to them I wanted two meeting rooms and I needed them booked in advance in order to accomodate 2-3 lawyers schedules, their clients and any insurance adjusters' schedules as well. I have been booking mediations for several years at Sheratons, Radissons, Ramadas, private clubs, etc., but this was the first time I encountered such difficulty (and rudeness). On a personal and professional level, I likely will not use their services again when there are so many other equitable facilities to choose from.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank canucks4
Niagara Falls Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Just spent two nights at this hotel, and the facility and staff were excellent. The rooms were very roomy and comfortable for a family of 4. The lounge area with the fireplace was a nice area to relax while the kids chat with their friends online.

Pool and slide area was very clean with clean dry towels easily available.

Would not hesitate to come back here ever.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacationeeder
Ely, Cambs., UK
Reviewed November 16, 2006

Our family group of 4 was part of a much bigger party that had gathered at this hotel prior to a wedding which we had all been advised to stay at by the bride and groom due to its locality and convenience.

Firstly, if you're a tourist and don't know the area then make sure you get the full address details plus directions - we didn't and spent ages hunting for it and also don't rely on tourist maps as most of these only show the main roads/intersections and not the side roads.

Upon arrival we were a bit dubious as the hotel is located on the edge of a business/retail park area close to main roads but this was never a problem, in fact it was a bonus as there are eaterys/bars within a minutes walk.

The hotel itself was very nice and appears to be quite new, the staff were polite and efficient and there is a internet pc, free for the use of guests located within the lounge area. The pool is quite small but nice enough and there is a well equipped gym. There is a "tiny shop" area on the ground floor where sweets and soft drinks etc. can be purchased but don't expect too much.

The biggest let down here was the breakfast, not so much the cost as the quality. Everything that was cooked just seemed overdone, dry and tired.

Around a 5 minute walk from the hotel is a Mandarin Chinese restaurant. If you have never eaten at one of these then you're in for a treat and if like me you love marine life then the fish tanks are to die for. This particular restaurant has one that runs floor to ceiling and the whole length of the room and during the evening a diver enters the tank to feed the fish by hand - absolutely awesome!

To summarise, this a nice, good quality, small hotel best suited to business travellers and conference meetings etc. but suited our purposes perfectly.

• Liked — Modern, Clean, Nice comfortable rooms (especially the beds) and convenient location.
  • Disliked — The cooked breakfast and the drink m/c's on each floor were never restocked with water, only fizzy pop.
  • Tips/Secrets — If staying in this area then the Mandarin Restaraunt is a MUST DO but make sure you book in advance as it gets very busy.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank The_natural_world
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I booked the hotel as part of the package thru Travelocity, and therefore I wasn't guaranteed a non-smoking room. By the time I checked in at around 5pm, I was told that there was no NS room available. I was stuck with a Smoking room, but with 2 beds. Beds are quite soft and un-comfortable; room of course is very smoky. Got better after 2 nights there.

No free continental breakfast, but free Wi-Fi, and 1 computer with high speed at the lobby. No mirror in the room, only in the bathroom.

Overall, quite disappointed that this is actually a Marriott, it's more like Best Western. However, it's clean though.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — Smoky room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family