“A horrible experience”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Brampton
Kingsville, Canada
“A horrible experience”
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I booked this hotel based on price and location. I was comparing hotels in the area for a long-term stay and it was considerably cheaper than the others, and seemed to offer equivalent amenities, free hi-speed, free breakfast, recently remodeled, etc. My check-in experience was not great. The attendant was quite unfriendly. The back door to the parking lot was unlocked and I saw indications that families were living there weak to weak. The signs on the desk indicated the hotel was 100% smoke free, but I later learned that it was a recent conversion. Being an older hotel, there was a lot of lingering smoke smells. The first room I was assigned was on the 5th floor (a previously smoke free floor), but it had strong smoke and musty odors. The alternate room I received smelled better, but had other issues. I was located next to a family with one dog and perhaps a budgie bird. The room was quite dark, dingy and musty smelling. The carpets were dark green, but you could still see stains. It appeared that my room was closed for repairs, but was given to me anyway. There was a vacant area in the corner of the room where a sitting chair would normally be. I assumed it was that way because they were repairing holes in the wall. As a result, there were bits of sheetrock and other materials on the floor. They had not been vacuumed. In the bathroom, the cover for the tub overflow was off, apparently also being repaired. The sink and counter were newish (perhaps part of the 2005 renovation), but the original sink stopper connected to the facet was gone and replaced with a cheap rubber unit. There was black mould in the corners of the tub, and the shower curtain was one of those light ones that stick to you when you are taking a shower. The bed looked ok, but I checked it for bugs anyway. I didn’t see any. There were three pillows for the king bed and there small, old and very brown. I wrapped a towel around the one I used. The microwave and fridge worked fine, but the fridge was dirty and door to the freezer compartment was broken off. It needed to be defrosted too. There was no stopper for the bar sink. I hung my bags on hangers just in case there were any bugs and slept with the light on. I was up early and checked out after just the one night (my original stay was for one week). The breakfast consisted of filtered punches, coffee and toast/bagels. Upon arriving at my next hotel, I thoroughly checked my luggage for bugs and my body for bite marks but it seems I was lucky to get out unscathed. I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Liked — It was near my work site.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank clevelaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 10, 2007

I read reviews of this hotel before booking a reservation with them directly on the phone, for two nights. I guess it wasn't Trip Advisor I was reading. People only said good things about the hotel.

Everybody was very friendly, and the price was really right. They even have slow in-room WiFi. I wondered why it was so cheap, but I figured some hotel had to be the lowest. Right?

I found it fairly clean inside the room, but the stuff was old and beaten up - about like a Motel 6 (which I like). There was dirt and hair under the sink in the bathroom (which I don't like).

I checked under the mattress etc. for bed bugs as instructed on TV news shows I'd seen. I didn't find anything, but then I've never seen a bed bug.

I couldn't believe what I saw when I pulled back the drapes. 100% filth. The windows on the floor I was on had never been washed. Apparently there is a small roof outside the window, with some air conditioners, pipes etc. on it. REALLY disgusting.

The labels were missing from the heater/air conditioner buttons, but I found how to turn it on/up by trial and error.

On the second day, I came back to find the door to the adjoining room totally unlocked and open - with all my stuff in my room. I guess I'm lucky I had anything left. Nothing was missing.

I didn't notice the 20 or so bites on my torso until after I left. I had never had a bed bug bite before. I guess we all think it will never happen to us?

They didn't itch or sting at all. Then when I scratched one the first time, it really itched. It took about a month for the bites to almost go away.

In that month, I've been hoping I didn't bring bed bugs home in my stuff. Pretty scary.

In digging around the Internet, it seems nearly impossible to get rid of bed bugs from a building like that.

I'm sure the hotel owners don't want them, and I'm sure some guest brought them in, but I sure as heck don't want them!

It seems like since DDT was outlawed (I guess it must have been outlawed in Canada as well as the US), bed bugs are showing up at all kinds of hotels - expensive and cheap.

• Liked — Price wasn't worth bed bug bites
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank MS595
samhojo, GM at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2008
We use "Tempur-Pedic®
Tempur-Pedic®'s naturally treated, terry-cloth cover helps eliminate spores, fungi and, most importantly, mites, and their excrement. Each cover also includes an air-permeable, liquid-barrier lining and is zippered for easy removal and washing." Unfortunately, this was a disgruntled customer, who did not want to be charged a second day when there was luggage left in their room until 3:30pm (Their check-out time was 11:00 am and we gave them an extended check out until 12:30pm at no charge). They threatened if we did not refund them for that day, they would post this exact message. We strive to make every customer feel at home, and most importantly that means "CLEANLINESS" among other very important factors. We only use the top of the line cleaners, and solutions, Unfortunately we could not comply with said customers demands, and this is the only recourse we have. Trip Advisor is an integral part of booking a hotel in todays market, keeping this in mind I felt obligated respond to this. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Toronto
Reviewed March 2, 2007

Good price and my room was large and clean. Staff were courteous. There were many minor repairs left undone (eg, fitness equipment, ice machine). I usually don't have problems staying in smoking rooms but the smell here was too strong so I switched floors.
All things considered, a positive experience.

• Stayed February 2007
5 Thank KBB22
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2006

From the reviews, this hotel seemed like a good choice for the area. I have to say that the rooms were quite nice and seemed to be recently remodelled. But I don't recommend that anyone stay at this hotel due to the BED BUG bites I received. I woke up on the last morning of my stay with bites all over my feet and leg. The hotel did seem clean and I didn't even think about checking for bed bugs, which after doing some research they recommend doing. I also had an issue with the faucet in my shower, but after the bed bugs that didn't seem like a big deal. I notified the hotel staff, who did not seem very concerned, but did give me a small discount for my stay.
If you do choose to stay at this hotel, be sure to check the room for bed bugs. I personally would stay away!

• Disliked — BED BUGS!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Jess500
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 10, 2005

Great hotel at an incredible rate.Newly renovated so it was very clean.I found the staff to be very friendly. They had FREE hi-speed internet which was great, and, a very good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brampton, Ontario
Reviewed February 20, 2005

This hotel is under renovation, so some parts of the building were not the most pleasant. However, the front desk was friendly, my room was clean and modern, and the price was okay.

11 Thank chassocs
BOBBT, Public Relations Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for your kind words sir. I can assure you
that we've come a long way since 2005. Many finishing touches
are now in place. We have new furniture and carpeting in
the rooms and a brand new upscale banquet hall called
"The Skylight Room". A long list of professionals have stayed
at our hotel in recent times including NHL hockey players,
TV's "Treasure Hunters Roadshow", and Rogers Media.
We hope you drop in again soon to see all the fresh new changes.

PR dept