“Consistently great food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Toronto
“Consistently great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I reviewed RD's this past summer, and recently introduced my wife to this hidden gem. Across the street from a high school, in the same mall as a sub shop and I think a pizza place, do NOT be swayed by the 'competition'. Open the door, take a big sniff and smile, you've found it.

This trip we sampled and shared the beef brisket sandwich ($7.00) and the pulled pork sandwich ($6.00) - both winners. Cooked low and slow, both had great bark and a really defined smoke ring to them. Great BBQ flavour, this is as good as it gets. We ate half of each sandwich and traded - get the best of both worlds!
Sauces are available mild, medium, hot, the medium has a nice tingle to it, not crazy hot and layers of flavour.

A side of hush puppies ($6.50) - great choice for sharing, cornmeal with jalapenos and some onions, very satisfying. Nice little heat to them as well. Coleslaw ($2.50) has a really nice bite to it, house made with a bit of John's dry rub in it for flavour. Awesome. PUT IT ON YOUR SANDWICH!!! No really, you need to try it on your sandwich.

So again, blown away by this little gem, hidden in a plain strip mall, but seriously, it is the best BBQ north of Memphis I've tried.

It's the #1 rated restaurant in Brampton, for the simple reason the food will change your life.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank MacPete

Montreal, Canada
“Excellent food, great ambiance, nice people.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

RD's is located in a non-descript strip mall in Brampton, but don't let appearances deceive anyone, the food is excellent. We tried the ribs, the beef brisket and the pulled pork all delicious. RD's offers a nice variety of other main courses and many other appetizers and add-ons. It's just good soul food. Service was also pleasant, simple, i.e. authentic but courteous. Jazz music plays in the background and there are posters of master jazz musicians on the wall, so someone at RD's must be an aficionado. Other than the posters, decoration is sparse. But you don't come to RD's for the looks, you come for the food and you certainly will come again!

• Visited November 2013
Toronto, Canada
“fantastic bbq.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Real southern style food. Made on the premises fresh. even the meat is smoked out back and the sauces are made instore. This attention to detail means that the food is oustanding. The staff and owner are also very welcoming and the place lives up to the hype.

• Visited October 2013
Bogotá
“Succulent fare and very helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I searched for BBQ locations in Ontario, determined to cook my own lunch, but my search returned a heap of restaurants, instead of the list of parks that I had expected.

RD's Southern BBQ caught my eye and the rave reviews convinced me to shelve my self-cook plans and head up the 410 to have a look for myself. I was absolutely delighted with what I found.

The staff were extremely courteous and helpful and the food was superb and served in ample portions. I enjoyed a Dean Bad Habit beef brisket and pulled pork sandwich, with a side of mac & cheese, whilst my wife wolfed down a quarter chicken and quarter rack of ribs, with sides of dirty rice and coleslaw. We were thrilled with our choices and have enough brisket and pulled pork left over for our breakfast tomorrow, atop an arepa.

Top marks!

• Visited September 2013
Erin, Canada
“Real BBQ in Brampton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is the real deal barbeque. If you love smoke flavoured delicious ribs, beef brisket, pulled pork you have hit the jackpot. The smokiness of all the meats has to be eaten to be believed. The ribs are fall of the bone and the beef brisket is so very tender.The barbeque sauce it a dark crimson with a sweet note. The wing appetizers are to die for and I don't particularily like the wings. The dirty rice, cornbread, mac'n cheese all are wonderful sides. We also had a breaded catfish that was delicious.

The owners are a husband (chef) and wife (hostess, can I say boss) team. there are so very nice and accomodating making you feel as you are at home. However, I cannot work the BBQ magic like they have done, I would open my own restaurant. I found out the chef worked at Schwartz's behind the scenes doing the smoking for their famous Montreal smoked meat sandwiches.

Going back for the gumbo, Étouffée, Po'boy, and jambalya.

After eating at 5 authentic BBQ restaurants in Toronto, GTA and beyond my two faves are RD's and the Lancaster Smokehouse

• Visited September 2013