“good Mex-Tex”

Ranked #171 of 714 Restaurants in Brampton
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Street Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Our famous fajitas are served up fresh - from the warm flour tortillas to the guacamole and the salsa. Wood fire grilled AAA steaks and smokehouse ribs are all prepared in the barbecue pit. Lone Star guarantees great food, warm southern hospitality, and a good time. We are Canada's only authentic Texas restaurant - the real deal...TEXAS to the BONE!
Finland
“good Mex-Tex”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I visited Canada for Christmas last and my son took us out to try this place. Very good Tex.Mex foods and very reasonable prices. Good service too. Decor was also good. We had the fajitas plate for four. There was plenty to feed four and they had Mexican beer.

• Visited December 2011

Orangeville, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“LONE STAR ROCKS!”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The food and service were impeccable!!! Very friendly staff - make you feel like you are part of the family!!!

Visited March 2012
Brampton, Canada
“great food and friendly service”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

we have been her several times and never been disappointed. The food is great, hot and service and very friendly. Each time we had a manager come by to check on the service and the food. Even when they are really busy the food is still fast and hot.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank 2011taurus
Brampton, ON
“GIVING THE STATE OF TEXAS A CUISINE BLACK EYE?”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

GIVING THE STATE OF TEXAS A CUISINE BLACK EYE?

We dined on a Sunday evening, August 2011. My bride ordered one portion of steak and pork ribs – it was a Sunday evening and was she was late for dinner – not so good for her diabetic condition. I had already had a snack of yogurt and raspberries 30 minutes before arriving. On our telling the server of my lady's diabetic condition, she speedily brought her some bread - dry, stale, brittle - to tide her over until the meal was served.

The ribs were tasty but the steak was thin, dried out, and surprisingly flavourless. My companion took one bite and passed, but enjoyed the ribs.

Our waitress said she was the senior server for that evening. When I was able to get her attention to comment about the steak she explained at length that the Lone Star Texas Roadhouse Grill was not a steak house, rather, it was “a fajita restaurant.” She volunteered, earnestly, that ‘most new customers looked at the sign and believed they can get good steaks at this restaurant, so are often disappointed’. She was personable and friendly.

She explained pleasantly and patiently, that “over 60% of the business is fajitas.” So there! After that explanation she disappeared for a quite a while and on returning apologized, advising us that she was the “key holder” person for that night, with a lot of closing duties which interfered with her providing better attention.

I had also ordered hot sauce with the meal when she took the order but it was not brought to the table, when the meal was hastily dropped off. With our server missing, I attempted to attract the attention of waiters from nearby tables but they studiously avoided eye contact and focussed on their small, jurisdictional territory, as some servers often do. Eventually, I walked to another table at the far end where a busboy was pouring water and he very promptly brought me some Tabasco. Yet, even that could not salvage the steak and I abandoned it.

When my bride had finished the ribs our server was still missing but a busboy came to clear the table. He asked with smiling but busy enthusiasm if our meal was ‘good’.

The steak was definitely not, I responded and did not get further...

"Excellent!” He said enthused while removing the dishes, obviously uncertain of how to process my reply. He left, still processing, presumably.

Eventually our important, key-holding, pleasant waitress came and presented the bill. The $40 for one serving of steak and ribs with small beer might have been okay for a good meal - even with hilariously unprofessional service. She cheerfully accepted payment with no reference to our direct comments about the dried-out, and tasteless steak. But she did offer an invitation to return - without any offer of any price adjustment, coupon or solace.

We left without further comment since we knew we had decided to experiment by visiting this new diner without checking reviews or with other family or friends.

For those who read this and wish to try fajitas – or pork ribs – the Lone Star Texas Roadhouse and Grill restaurant was at least well lit, the restroom for men tidy and the parking was ample. Just stay well away from the steaks, by their own confession.

Diners with very ample paunches may find the seating comfortable but others might not since the seat backs of the booths are really far removed from the table edge – presumably to accommodate the more portly customers that the American designers likely had in mind. We sat on the edge of our booth but not because of excitement.

The Lone Star Texas Roadhouse and Grill is well located at 156 West Drive right off Queen Street East, near the 410 exit in Brampton, ON. Ph -----------.

Their prominent road sign is devoid of any reference to fajitas and differs from the official name at their website: Lonestar Texas Grill. Their website does focus on fajitas - we checked later.

This new outfit is located near to Brampton’s many fine restaurants which offer do good steaks or ribs and mostly good service.

• Visited August 2011