“Good Flavour, small portion size.”
Review of Freshly Thai

Freshly Thai
Ranked #34 of 714 Restaurants in Brampton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Brampton
Toronto, Canada
“Good Flavour, small portion size.”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Was looking for Thai food in the local area as my mom really wanted some for her birthday dinner. We didn't want to go to the default Thai express as the one nearby is horrific! It tastes nothing like any of the other ones. There is a lot of variations which there should not be as its supposed to be a chain. Some are good but the local one is terrible.

Freshly Thai is a restaurant and as such is not really catering for the to go/takeaway market. When I see this it usually concerns me as they are not fully prepared for takeaway and this proved to be the case. We got a red curry, green curry and a Noodle Soup. I was initially very surprised at the tiny rice portions. It really was not big enough at all but I thought maybe I only had a quick look that it might be ok. When serving the food at home it was pretty clear the serving size was far too small. The curry portion was ok but had very little meat in it which was disappointing as the flavour was there. even though we asked for medium it was hot. The green curry especially was very spicy. The rice portions were tiny and nowhere near what you get at other places. This was disappointing as the meal was quite pricey. Overall the flavour was good but very stingy meat in the curry and tiny rice portion sizes really disappointed. The tip I would give is to get another rice for every 2 curries. For me portion size and value for money are hugely important and the lack of meat was a big deal for me.

I don't like going negative reviews so I want to add that I had a quick glimpse at a few people eating at the restaurant whilst I was there and although I did not clearly see the portion sizes seemed to be better than what we got. Give it a go and eat in don't takeaway as they are not set up for that. The service was very good and its always a plus when you can see into the kitchen and its clean!

• Visited May 2014

Brampton, Canada
“Delicious - great for lunch!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My first experience with Thai food was at Freshly Thai. My husband and I went for lunch (which is a great deal, by the way!) - I had the red curry with tofu, which tasted incredible - I had never had anything quite like it. I've since realized that I can't do this for dinner - a bigger portion makes me sick as the dish really is quite rich (but so, so good), so I come for lunch typically.

The proprietress is very friendly and accommodating. It seems that it's not easy for restaurants to thrive in Brampton - I can tell that the ladies here try very hard to make their customers happy, and I am glad to be able to recommend this place to friends.

• Visited July 2013
Caledon
“Fantastic for vegans/gluten free”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Really great food for all. Several vegan dishes and menu has gluten free dishes as well, as I needed both options. They make their own sauces as they don't like to use preservatives. They can modify most dishes to the way you want...ie less spice, more spice. We had a dance recital at the Rose Theatre and it was only a block away...a short walk. We ate 1 lunch and 2 dinners there that weekend, it was that good. Their dairy free slushes are like bubble teas with tapioca and are made with fresh fruit and are to die for....especially watermelon. My daughter and I had 4 of them over the weekend. The service is excellent and the owners/employees are really friendly and helpful. It's not just a vegetarian place though, they have all the typical things a thai restaurant would have, meat, chicken, seafood. Definitely a dream restaurant for vegans and gluten free diets, cause good ones are so hard to find.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Cindy W
Erin, Canada
“Best Thai in Downtown Brampton”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I Love the ladies that own this place. They are always very friendly and will do anything to please. A quant little place. The food is good, not the best Thai I've ever had but certainly the best around here.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank SirC_LadyDD
Toronto, Canada
“Not good Thai”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had high hopes for this place but was disapointed. The service is good and the staff are friendly. The menu is sizable, the portions are generous but the food does not have the depth and complexity of good Thai food. The balance of flavours is missing and the over use of certain vegetables is a bit odd.

Visited February 2013