“CHEATED AT HOTEL DE L' PRETOM!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel del Pretom

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jalpaiguri
Hotel del Pretom
Ranked #6 of 21 Jalpaiguri B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“CHEATED AT HOTEL DE L' PRETOM!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 15/5/2013 to 21/5/2013. I liked living so centrally and put up with the lack of hygienic bathroom which I cleaned myself. Ashutosh, the guy who attended to my laundry, used to wait for me during the evening to change the bedding as I preferred eating at a place called 'ROYAL RESTAURANT'across the road which served clean, fresh food..

I used the hotel transport to visit 6 temples in Jalpaiguri. The cost was Rs2000 for +/- 6 hours. I was so thankful that the driver Bhikas waited patiently as I paid my obeisances at the various temples and chatted to some of the priests. I gave him a Rs500 tip.

Since I felt safe with him, I arranged with the night manager, Mr Rajib Bhattacharrya, to utilise their transport again to take me to Kakarvitta Nepal. I was told it is about 8 hours away and the cost would be Rs4000. Since it was my first time going to Nepal, I asked that transport be arranged to take me from Kakarvitta to Kathmandu. This cost, he says, would be in the region of Rs5000.

We departed from Jalpaiguri at about 2:30pm. We arrived in Kakarvitta at 4:30pm. A journey of 2 hours! Needless to say I was furious at the grossly overstated cost! And, no onward transport was ever arranged. Bhikas tells me to wait in the car. Upon his return I am told it would cost Rs25000! I was so angry and just wanted to get my luggage out of his car. In my haste to get to Immigration before closing time, I accidentally gave him Rs5000.

Later, upon checking my account, I realise I was billed for laundry which I always paid for in cash.
I wrote requesting a refund which Arup Ganguly, the manager agreed to. Then, endless excuses were provided as to why a refund could not be made.

To add insult to injury, a KALYAN BHOWMICK, whom I have never met or dealt with, accuses me of extortion and concocting stories! And, he advises that legal action will be taken against me if I report the matter.

It's not about the money any longer but about values like TRUTH and HONESTY.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Razia v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

not for the ladies who wana feel safe and neither for the gentlemen who need rest for the night. the hotel manager insisted on it being a star hotel, howver everything else proved otherwise. the toilet wasnt cleaned in ages but the comode still had a tape on it 'Disinfected for your safety'. the bed was dirty to an extend that we got itchy back as we woke up from half sleep the next morning. well 'half sleep' cuz, everyone and everything in and around the hotel assured us that staying here wasnt safe. neither could the room give that comfort,.. there was no bolt in the room from inside.
so all the best to all who would have no option but have to spend even a few hours here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MapuiaTraveler
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed in the AC delux roon. Very nice hotel, clean, full service, excellent food in the restaurant. Great location and excellent value for money. Restaurant looked to be very popular among non-residents also. Prompt service for all requirements.. Will stay again

Room Tip: Got the AC rooms for myself... value for money
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The hotel is located main area in Jalpaiguri. Staff is very friendly & helpful, The room was clean and towels and toiletries were replaced regularly. There is good restaurants & bar..& also they provided good jalpaiguri packages.... nothing to complain. Prompt action when called for service. Will go again.........

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KOUSIK_DATTA
Kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Self & spouse stayed in this hotel for a night while driving enroute Guwahati to Durgapur. We liked the rooms (maybe a bit small), service, response and hospitality. There is an adjacent bar within which may be a bit loud at times. They also had good and safe car parking facility. Overall it was a nice stay for us.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RChak_12
Kolkata
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

I will not recommend staying her at all unless you want to ruin your vacation... We had a really negative & lousy experience when we went for our trip. There were quite a few reasons for this. I will mention them below:-

1. They add on hidden charges to your bill when you are ready to check out from the hotel.
2. There is a lot of noise pollution as there is a loudspeaker right in front of the hotel's entrance. No silence & peace. Your sleep & ur vacation is guaranteed to be ruined.
3. The staff is discourteous, unhelpful & downright rude / obnoxious.
4. If you've an issue & you want to talk to the GM (due to escalation), first of all they would not give his number. Even if you get his number, forget receiving any reply / resolution to your issue.

Besides these problems, the staff made fun of us just because we had booked a budget room for our stay. It was very humiliating. To top it all off, the hotel is located 45 kms from the NJP Railway Station.. The hotel does not provide complimentary pickup & drop from the station. When we made the booking initially, we were not at all told about the conveyance charges to & from the station.. Its the hotel's job to inform us well ahead of time but we had no information about it at all... Our vacation was completely ruined just because of this hotel... Do not stay here !!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Prashant J
Hyderabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

This town hotel, stands in Jalpaiguri as a part of the great history of the tea industry here. Usually a pit stop for holidayers who want to look at places around. The tea gardens around the place are magnificent.

The rooms are a bit small, the styling is pretty ok, but the best in that town. Room service is great with delicious food. Breakfast comes late, but its definitely worth the wait. There is an SBI ATM next to the hotel, and the main market area is near the hotel, you can check out tasty bengali sweets around the place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Dr-Dyson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jalpaiguri
Sinclairs Retreat Dooars, Chalsa
#2 of 4 in Jalpaiguri
The Tusker Den
The Tusker Den
#13 of 38 in Jalpaiguri

Been to Hotel del Pretom? Share your experiences!