“Food has gone down the drain at Swiss Chalet”

Swiss Chalet Rotisserie & Grill
Ranked #49 of 193 Restaurants in Belleville
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Since our doors first opened in 1954, Canadian families have been coming back to Swiss Chalet generation after generation. Our rotisserie ovens only accept fresh (never frozen), grain-fed, Canadian Grade A chickens, because quality is all we know. So what will it be? A Quarter Chicken with fries?
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
“Food has gone down the drain at Swiss Chalet”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Unfortunately, Deloris, you are incorrect. You were'n't there when the server told all 6 of us (after we had pointed out the problem with the food we had received), "since it is now owned by the corporate office they have gone for cheaper food and one of them was the cheaper potatoes and oil". This agreed with what I saw on my plate...greasy and tasteless food even after the nice server brought me another plate of fries. As we were leaving the staff at the door told us, after we had commented on the tasteless food, they had received numerous complaints on the food. From the looks of the comments, in this forum, others seem to agree the food is severely lacking. It is truly a great shame that my family nor I can no longer eat what I used to love. My family nor I have gone back there since that dreadful and disappointing meal. I have, also, passed on my experience to my co-workers and friends. Driving by Swiss Chalet, on the weekend, I have noticed that the parking lot is not as full as it used to be....could be others are, also, disappointed in the food. I still say "smarten up Swiss Chalet before you lose all your loyal customers!!!!"

2 Thank BeverleyM60

Belleville, Canada
“What happened to Swiss Chalet food”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I visited the renovated Swiss Chalet and was very disappointed in the food. It does not taste anything like it used to. My chicken had very little flavor with no crisp barbecued skin. The skin was soft. The fries were soggy. Service was quick by a pleasant waitress and the new decor was very nice; however food is the most important item!

• Visited June 2014
Picton, Canada
“Reopening of Bell Blvd Swiss Chalet”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

A friend and I visited the newly renovated Swiss chalet in Belleville. The new decor has been pleasantly updated and has a more efficient seating plan. The service was terrific and the food fabulous as remembered. They have not changed the potatoes as a previous review had claimed. The chicken was great, the french fries wonderful as always and the salad was fresh and tasty! We tried the new offering of mini cinnamon filled donuts with powered sugar sprinkling and a side of caramel dipping sauce. It was really good! It was a pleasing lunch and we look forward to going back again for a meal that you can count on to be just what you are expecting!

1 Thank Dolores W
Pembroke, ON
“Food was really greasy”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I tried out the newly renovated Swiss Chalet and the decor was really impressive. It's very sleek and nicely styled. I don't like extremely bright restaurants so it was nice to visit a place that was well lighted but not too bright. It was a calm and relaxing atmosphere. The waitress was attentive and nice. She recommended a new addition to the menu (a fish sandwich) that was huge! I had to take half of the fish off the bun to be able to fit it in my mouth. It would have been good if it wasn't so greasy. There were pockets of grease throughout it between the batter and fish. I had to dissect it in order to sop up the grease trapped inside.

Kitchener, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What have you done? Renovations are not an improvement!!!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We pass thru Belleville once a year and have always enjoyed our stop at Swiss Chalet for lunch. However, this year on May 23rd 2014, when we stopped, what was once a bright cheery place is now a renovated dark gloomy spot. Where once the service was fast and waitresses were cheery and pleasant, now the service was poor, food was mediocre and the environment was depressing. We waited for a table, we waited to be served, we waited forever for our food, (one person got their food and was almost finished eating before the second person's food arrived only after hailing down a waitress to ask if or when it was coming), and we waited for our bill. The salad was not "fresh" and we were told that the salads are brought in, not prepared on site - what a shame! When we tried to pay our bill after another long wait, I hailed down three people who were going to get our waitress before she finally came. I asked if I couldn't pay at the counter and was informed that the waitresses must take the cash and she seemed too busy or inexperienced to be efficient. This was a most unpleasant experience and a dreadful disappointment after our previous years of enjoyment. This renovation is definitely not an improvement. We will never be going back to that Swiss Chalet!!!!!! And of course we will be relating our experience to all our family and friends.

1 Thank Betty B