“A nice surprise”
Review of Kalays - CLOSED

Kalays
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Attire:Casual Payment Options:Visa Mastercard Parking:Parking Lot Price Range: $$ (10-30) Services: Takes Reservations Walk-Ins welcome Good For Groups Good For Kids Take Out Catering Waiter Service Specialties: Lunch Dinner Coffee Drinks Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/KALAYSSEAFOODRESTAURANT
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We are always hestitant to try new local restaurants that offer seafood. Freshness and well prepardedness is not always on offer at some locations. We tried Kalays after reviewing their menu and driving by their location. We were very pleased with the meals that we received. Hot and definitely fresh. Quantities were good and prices were reasonable. The waitress was friendly and very prompt with our meals. We will visit again.

There are newer reviews for Kalays

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband surprised me and made reservations for a pre-Valentine's Day dinner at Kalays Belleville, ON, which we had never been before. The small dining area is nice and cozy. My husband pre-arranged to have the Valentine's Day special, which included a pot of mussels, large juicy garlic shrimp, the main meal was a lobster tail w/garlic butter, plump scallops, yummy potato crochettes & seared veggies. The dessert was nicely served with 2 different mousse tarts. The food was absolutely delicious, the seafood was nice & juicy & full of flavor and the potato crochettes were a awesome addition to the "sides" selection.

The service was also very nice and very attentive, great conversation and we were looked after quite well.

The only thing I would state as a negative is for the Valentine's Day Special price, an alcoholic drink each should have been included. Other than that, Kalay's is a plus, plus, plus place to go. We definitely plan on taking our parents there for an evening out.

Great job Kalays.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had our staff Christmas Dinner here, Unbelievable food!!!
Service was so friendly and inviting and we were so blow away by the Owners coming to our table and chatting with us. This is also the cleanest restaurant I have ever seen!
You must try the newfie fry's!!!
Exceptional on every level!

Kalays S, Owner at Kalays, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

It was our pleasure! You were a very fun group!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

As mentioned in other reviews Kalays is out of the way of more popular restaurants. I heard about it from friends. We decided to go in Aug 12 to have a good deep fried seafood supper. The restaurant is clean and decorated nicely. The staff is very polite. We order two seafood platters and pop to drink. The food was good for the most part, but the deep fried haddock didnt taste right. After looking at the fish, I found the the batter was golden brown on the outside and raw on the inside. I didnt want to complain, but the waitress was walking by and my wife asked what was wrong. The waitress was informed that the batter was not cooked and was very apolgetic and told the owner. They offered to cook me another fish. Honestly, at this point I was full and respectfully declined. Long story short, they gave me 10% off my bill. I figured I would give this restaurant another chance.

Fast forward to Nov 12 and I had company in from the USA. My bother-in-law is a newfie, so I mentioned that we could have dinner at Kalays. The owner cooks Jigs Dinner on Sunday. She is from the valley in NS. My brother-in-law had this plate and rated it as "Ok", but if he had to do it over, he would have went with something else. My sister-in-law wanted "fries, dressing, gravy" which is on the menu. After her food arrived, she began eating her fries and discovered a staple in the dressing. Thankfully she caught this before she put it in her mouth. She called the waitress over to inform her and she was very apologetic. She brought the situation up with the cook and found out after he opened the savoury packet to put in the dressing, the staple must have fell into the dressing. The cook was very apolgetic. He said they would inform the owner. The owner came out and immediately talk to people at a different table for about 15 min. Then she left. She came back to make small talk and asked"how was everything". To which my sister-in-law said she had a staple in her food. The manager minimized the incident and the waitress asked her for 25% off her plate, to which the owner agreed. The owner went on to talk about how she was thinking about selling this restaurant and opening in Picton. She talked about going to the Top Hat Bar closing out party. She mentioned that when she is in Halifax that she gives out her business cards to hire seafood cooks to work at her restaurant. She went on about other things not worth mentioning. She didnt really seemed concerned about this incident that happened at her establishment. It could have been a lot worse. I paid the bill and we left. Kudos to Kalays staff and they are definitely customer oriented. After this experience, I can tell you that I wouldnt visit Kalays again.

2  Thank Will S
Kalays S, Owner at Kalays, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

I sincerely apologize for this incident. And yes, you are absolutly correct; it could have been more serious. We all discussed this the following day to determine how a staple appeared in the dressing and to put procedures in place to prevent it from happening again. Eventhough the cook apologized for this, he was not responsible for preparing the dressing. I am very
appreciative to both the server and the cook for handling the situation to your satisfaction. It was my responsibility, not theirs to address this with you which i failed to do in a suitable manner to you. I was embarrased over the incident and was at a loss for words; hence the reason for the unnecessary chatter. I apologize again for the rambling on but I am always excited to talk with customers that are from the same area I am. One trait of a Maritimer is that we love to talk. I need to learn to let my customers lead the conversation and not get off track exaggeratting about myself or the business but rather what is interesting for the customer. I thank you very much for your candid comments which will help me improve my communication skills with my customers. I value every customer and hope you will return to Kalays someday.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Wife and i stopped in for lunch, very clean, friendly staff, nice atmophere. The food was pretty good I just found that for the price they could trough in something for a little better value. I had lobster roll, it was plain and simple but tastey and a couple oysters on the half shell where very freash.