“Frosty reception - again - but most of the staff are great.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Belleville
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Belleville
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Just spent a quick night in a nearby town at the Marriott Fairfield. I have stayed at that particular hotel a number of times before, both alone and with my husband. Overall I do prefer Marriott JW, regular Marriott and especially Marriott Courtyards but Fairfields are what they are - a bit basic but extremely reliable.

The room was large and nice, bathroom is compact and bijoux but very clean and funtional. Shower strength was terrific, the towels fluffy and white and everything clean as a whistle. The air conditioning was fabulous as we had been suffering from hot and humid weather of late. The only downside is that the hotel is on two floors in two wings and it involves a lot of trecking up and down stairs as they have no elevators. On my second trip in from the car with some bits and pieces a very nice lady - housekeeping I believe - helped me with one of my bags and I was extremely grateful to her as she was my age. I was embarrassed because I had no change for a tip. I did leave a tip in the room on checking out and I hope that she received it. The bed is extremely comfortable with quite a firm mattress which we need and the beddding is always up to the usual Marriott standards. The previous occupier of the room had set the alarm for 5.30 a.m., not fun. There is no in room check out. TV is TV. Parking is ample and free. Free Wifi but I get that anyway because of membership so check before you use it.

The pool is excellent, nice shape, 8 foot deep end, temperature is pleasant and the towels were plentiful and in great condition. The hot tub is gentle which I quite enjoy and not overly hot. It's a bit dark, there is a light on the wall but the last several times I have stayed there it never seems to be on. One thing I particularly like about the pool at this hotel is that the flooring is slightly 'rough', no smooth tiles, so no wondering if you are going to slip on the wet floor. Little thing but it makes a huge difference. The exercise equipment is great.

We didn't bother with the free breakfast though I have done so on previous visits, especially those involving several nights' stay. It is what it is but I like that there is always fruit juice. Also, like other Marriotts, they have added the lemon/lime water dispenser in the lobby which is one of the best ideas Marriott have had in a long time.

The only thing that puzzles me about this particular hotel is what sometimes happens at check in. It NEVER happens at any other Marriott and we stay with them a lot in a number of countries. It doesn't happen at every Fairfield, just this one. It doesn't happen every time at this one either, just when a certain lady is on reception. She is rather more mature than the others.... owner perhaps? Not sure. I am a Gold member so when I book I usually do so online but if redeeming points or a free earned night I call the 800 number which I did this time. Rewards Customer Service is always fabulous, they booked us in, confirmed everything, confirmed my credit card - last four digits only - said my signature is on file as I had stayed before of course. Perfect. But on arrival I was asked for my card again, which I always have ready anyway. Then she demanded photo i.d. which no other Marriott ever asks me for, not even JW which, let's face it, is somewhat higher up the pecking order in the hotel chain. Her attitude was faintly reminiscent of the Mother Superior at my boarding school or perhaps my Girl Guide leader back when I was 12. I suddenly felt the need to mutter Dib Dib Dib and start reciting the Girl Guide Code - 'I promise on my honour to do my best to do my duty to God and the Queen.....etc.' As she was already double checking my credit card and photo I.D. I decided to make sure that she had my Gold Memership number too as she appeared to be seriously doubting my credentials. She took it and studied it closely, both sides, read the fine print, looked at me and then sighed and gave it back. I am a white haired old grandma of seven, I really didn't think that I much resemble a crack dealer or hooker but that was the feeling I was left with. Like I said, if it was a one time event I'd forget it, but I remember her even though she obviously does not remember me and it was the same last time. Fortunately the much more pleasant younger lady was there when I checked out.

Room Tip: If you have bags and are not that strong, ask for a room nearest to the shortest flight of stairs. N...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn P
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Belleville

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I loved the size of the hotel rooms. My room had a microwave and fridge. I enjoyed the continental breakfast offered in the mornings. Hotel was easy to find off of the 401. Cleaning girls were very friendly and the manager was extremely patient with my co-workers being loud and disruptive. The hallways were confusing and difficult when trying to locate your room or the lobby.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Surprisingly good, despite being right off the highway? The rooms were not at offensive. From the colour scheme to the layout, to the mattress quality, all in all a cosy, comfortable stay. This was a last minute booking at a reasonable price too.

Room Tip: For 10$ more, the King Ensuite is most definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The staff were wonderful: I was injured on this trip (which happened during our Anniversary) and the service was excellent!

The AC was quiet AND effective which really helped me sleep through the pain of my injury.

Continental breakfast was all that I could ask for and more - and making my own waffle one-handed was really funny.

Will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hotel is conveniently located off the 401 highway. Modern, bright and clean. Lots of shopping in the mall across the street. Many eating options nearby. Rooms are very clean with wireless internet, in room coffee, small fridge and microwave. If you are checking in late, there is a vending machine in the lobby with entrees, pizza pockets and the usual snacks. Bathroom was small but spotless. Room 205 had a king bed and sofa. Comfortable mattress and decent linens. Great continental breakfast including cereal, toast, bagels, yogurt, fruit, even make your own waffles & a breakfast sandwich, Small area but clean & well organized.
ONE BIG COMPLAINT; There is no elevator. We were on the 2nd floor & had several bags. It was a long hike to out room, including 2 sets of stairs. Book a room on the first floor unless you are travelling light. Ask the staff for better directions as to where to park if on the 2nd floor to avoid a long hike. See Devon Adair review for suggestions on rooms.
Good choice otherwise. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have luggage ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Fairfield Inn and Suites is a basic, highway rest stop sort of place. It sets out to provide clean, comfortable well equipped rooms, well suited for families needing to stop, overnight, on the highway, to visit the (many) attractions in the Bay of Quinte area or, as was evident during my stay, for children to participate in events - a little league tournament, it seemed.

1. The key elements for this sort of business are clean, comfortable rooms: Fairfield Inn gets full marks;

2. A pool - the Fairfield Inn has one; and

3. Easy access to off-site shopping and restaurants - there are at least a half dozen family restaurants (Denny's (right across the street), Montana's, East Side Marios, etc) within a five minute walk, many more within a five minute drive and a decent sized shopping mall also within easy walking distance. Thus, the Fairfield Inn need not and does not offer much of anything else except for:

1. A tiny dried food/soft drink shop in the lobby; and

2. A very basic (coffee, juice and muffins) complimentary breakfast.

On the plus side are: location, big, comfortable, well equipped (fridge and microwave) and sound proof rooms, and a friendly staff. On the minus side are: no facilities for guests and somewhat careless staff. (The friendly, cheerful front desk staff members, seeing my walking stick, asked me if I wanted a ground floor room, to save going up and down stairs; I accepted her offer; within seconds she presented me with the keys to a second floor room about as far from the (one and only) elevator as possible.)

It does what it needs to do and, at its price point, does it perfectly well. No problems at all.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was reluctant to write this review as I don't want booking our favourite rooms to be difficult in future. Anyway, room 101 is a large king room with bedroom, living room, two TVs, large whirlpool tub and separate shower stall in bathroom. It is very quiet and private. Room 251 is a large king room with a step up Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom, one TV. Both are steps from the breakfast area, lobby and pool enclosure. The indoor pool is massive, deep and very warm. The workout facilities are open 24 hours. Breakfast is included in the nightly rate and the hotel is off HWY 401, right across the street from a shopping mall. Try to go early for breakfast as it can get crowded. We tend to take our breakfast back to our room. We come here a few times a year to do wine touring in Prince Edward County. The extended king studio suite rooms are nice too, very spacious. Beds are very comfortable, rooms are recently redecorated and very clean. The staff are very helpful and efficient. This trip we took our son and booked rooms 101 and 251, hence photos of both rooms.

Room Tip: Room 101 has separate living and bedroom and whirlpool in bathroom. Room 251 has Jacuzzi in the be...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belleville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Belleville
Travelodge Hotel Belleville
The Waring House
The Waring House
#2 of 5 in Picton

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Belleville? Share your experiences!