“Your grandparent's basement, meets 1970s cabin....A-okay with me!”
Review of Fil's Cafe

Fil's Cafe
Ranked #82 of 509 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: Canadian
Toronto
“Your grandparent's basement, meets 1970s cabin....A-okay with me!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stumbled on this place completely by accident and were hesitant to eat here. From the outside, all you can see is a small, brick building, with small windows, covered in bars. Inside the door it looks more like an antique shop. As we sat contemplating, we watched two people walk inside and decided that if other people were eating there, we could live dangerously and give it a go.

First of all...the place has the best, damn decor EVER! It looks as if your grand-parent's basement made love to a 1970s cabin. It is awesome...this weird mixture of animal heads, mixed with mounted fish, novelty plates and plaques and random pictures, some hanging plants....they all combine and mesh into this place. This may not be for everyone, but I personally greatly appreciate the je ne sais quoi of a mounted fish, with a lure in its mouth, over my head as I eat. Seriously...no sarcasm! It's sweet!

This place has a very eclectic menu, with an all-day breakfast, burgers, chicken wings, fish and chips, etc. and reasonable prices. We ordered a variety of food, myself just getting bacon and eggs, two people getting burgers, one person getting an omelet and one person getting veal parm. No complaints about the food...I mean, I won't lie, it's not this amazing culinary experience, but it's all decent fare.

The restaurant is run by a Greek man with a dry sense of humour (Fil??) and his wife. We did have to wait for quite a while for our food, but that's probably because only Fil(?) was cooking and he's basically got his tiny stovetop behind a counter in there.

So yeah...if you are in the area, need a bite and feel like going somewhere you will not soon forget because of the "ambience" if not the food...THIS is the place.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ka_schmeer

• Greek first
Barrie, Canada
“Not like it used to be”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Fil's used to be a favourite for their Greek Salad. Last time I went, it wasn't so good anymore. It's been around for some time, mabye it's time for an update.

Visited August 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wonderful NON-Fast Food!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We got off at an early Barrie exit with signs for Tim Horton's, Subway and KFC thinking that this would offer us variety.  But as we exited the car to walk towards our fast food place of choice, I saw a small sign at the back side of the shopping center for "Fil's Cafe" (flying Canadian and Greek flags) and convenced the group to give it a try.

Warning....No Credit Cards Accepted!

The little Greek cook (possibly "Fil") and the little Greek waitress/hostess/busboy were adorable!  The walls were adorned with old personal photographs and mounted fish....very "homey" and a little quirky...in a good way. The other customers were older and appeared to be Greek as well from their accents.

And NO ONE was in a hurry...especially Fil the Cook!  We ordered sandwiches (Salmon Salad,   BLT and Souvlaki) and a hamburger.  They were delicious!  Along with scrumptious Greek Salads and THE BEST FRESH CUT HOMEMADE FRENCH FRIES in the land!

And after we stuffed ourselves, the nice Greek waitress  brought each of us a bowl of peaches topped with ice cream....on the house!

As we wobbled out of the restaurant, we asked Fil the Cook to let us take his picture and he gladly obliged.

Please stop in and partake of good NON FAST food on your travels to Barrie!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank balford46
“One of the Last Real Home Cooking Places left...”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I love this place. The french fries and gravy are the only ones I eat which remind me of how delicious they were when I was a teenager.
The servers are super nice. A great family restaurant. All kinds of different foods. Cozy, quaint and REAL. I'm actually getting take out from there in an hour. :)

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank kimmmmmmy
barrie2
“great place to eat”
Reviewed February 11, 2010

i just read one of the reviews which states " it is over priced "
not sure who wrote that foolish statement , because it is so wrong , i felt i had to correct the foolishness
the food is great and it is cheap at any price considering the quality of the food

2 Thank daveBarrie2