“A comfortable journey” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto
“A comfortable journey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

We were looking for a place where we would stay comfortably for our retreat seminar and Super 8 Barrie had met our requirements. The rooms were newly renovated, the swimming pool was clean and greatly enjoyed by our young children. We got everything we asked for without extra charge, the staff are very accommodating and nice. The meeting room was superb and clean. It may be small for a large group but with the number that we had the meeting room was perfect. For those of you who are planning a group meeting, I highly resommend this hotel. Barrie has a large waterfront where the group could go for a day of refreshing and walks.. there is a nice all you can eat buffet 2 minutes away from the hotel. Our people were quite happy
. thanks super 8 team.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Essex, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I picked this place solely due to its location, but will return because of great staff, cleanliness, all the things you look for in a hotel. I stay at lots of hotels, but this one provided the best value I've seen in many years. I thought the price was reasonable for just a bedroom, but it turned out to be a suite! The hotel staff was the most friendly I've ever encountered - every one of them! Particularly cool was the internet connection - both wired and wireless available. I've never seen that before! THe breakfast was great, rooms were extremenly quiet. Overall - the best in Barrie.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Jaker_10
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

I was driving from Ottawa to Vancouver with my parents and decided to stay the night at Barrie before we headed to Sault Ste. Marie. Seeing the good reviews on here about this Super 8 I decided to book it, and I'm very glad that I did. This is definitely one of the better Super 8's out there (as we did stay in a couple others across the country following this stop, but they weren't that great.)

The location is excellent. Located close to the highway, but not close enough to be noisy over the night. There was plenty of places to eat nearby for dinner. A short ~10 min drive to downtown Barrie. I got up early in the morning and enjoyed the short drive to Centennial Park and snapped plenty of beautiful pictures of the Barrie sunrise. Our stay was not long enough for us to witness much in terms of service, but the staff was definitely very friendly and greeted us with smiles.

Rooms were good. They are everything you expect from a sub-$100 hotel. Beds were comfortable (I would think anything is comfortable after a long day's drive), bathroom was clean, TV with plenty of channels. There was absolutely nothing I could complain about. There wasn't any wifi in my room, but the front desk was more than happy to lend me with an ethernet cable. I think the highlight of the stay, though, was the breakfast the next morning. Everything from cereal, juices, bagels, toast.. to eggs, bacon, sausages. From all the places I stayed throughout our trans-Canada trip, this was definitely THE BEST.. and it was free! Oh, and did anyone mention the DIY waffle-maker? What a fun way to start the day! :)

Next time you drop by Barrie, go ahead and pay Super 8 a visit. I'm sure you won't regret it

• Stayed August 2010
Trenton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

I booked a block of 15 rooms for a business trip with colleagues. We all arrived the evening of Sep 17/10. The location of this hotel is great, there are restaurants all down the street as well as fast food, banks, big box stores and anything else you can think of! We went to dinner next door at Eastside Mario's but you can also order room service from the restaurant.
Beds comfortable, as were the pillows. Our room had a fridge and a microwave. Continental breakfast was included. White bread in the container had mould on it and the eggs were powdered. Waffles were good as were the english muffins.

One lone gentleman was booked in a room in the middle of our block of 15. He complained and security came to shush us after 11pm which I totally understand but why book someone in the middle of a bunch of colleagues? He would have been much happier and content at the end of the hall I'm sure.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

Having never thought I'd stay at a Super 8, I ended up booking this hotel with my son in mind as they have "Kids Suites" that include Xbox and bunkbeds. He was not disappointed in the least. We picked up our games at the desk on check-in and the bunkbeds even had Harry Potter bedspreads on them. Check-in was smooth and easy. Desk clerks in the evening and in the morning were both wonderful and attentive to all questions, etc. They have a great breakfast in the morning and their pool is also very nice! This property is in a busy section close to food (though I would suggest avoiding the Boston Pizza at all costs due to its horribly loud atmosphere even on a Monday night and its terrible customer service!) and shopping and feels very safe. Also, our stay was very, very quiet the entire time we were there.

The only negatives I found with this hotel is the rather steep hold they put on your credit card on check-in ($250.00CDN). Our bank puts a hold on our account for a week once a merchant puts a hold on the account, so even after we were home and Super 8 had lifted their own hold, our money was still tied up through our own bank. But, not to worry, a quick call to Super 8 and their GM, Mirka, got my bank a fax stating that Super 8 had dropped their hold, which allowed our bank to also drop the hold on their end. Now that's customer service that doesn't even end once you leave the property!

Only other negative issue I found with this hotel was the room quality wasn't superior. There was a small hole in the wall above our door and the furnishings in the room were well-used. The kids' room such as it is, was very small and totally taken up with the X-box station and bunkbeds with only a curtain to serve as a door. But this is more a parent's perspective than a kid's I think because our son was really into having his "own space" and the 'coolness' of bunkbeds and game station. For the price we paid, the customer service, and all the other amenities this hotel provides, it was money well spent and I wouldn't hesitate to book in again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

We arrived in Barrie after a long day of driving and were greeted by very friendly, helpful staff. The hotel was spotless. The room was large (technically a living room, bathroom and bedroom) and well appointed. We were traveling with two cats and there were no problems with that. The breakfast the next morning was very good. All in all it was definitely the best stay of our trip.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We really like it!...kind assistance, good, pleasant service, comfortable rooms, nice breakfast breakfast...all that made our stay very welcome!.. We certainlly return every time we visit Barrie.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business