“Amazing value - we will be back!”

Carriage Ridge Resort
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton, ON, Canada
“Amazing value - we will be back!”
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We booked a stay in a studio for a skiing weekend and convinced our neighbours to do the same. We were all blown away with how nice this resort is, and the excellent location. We had kids from 1-12 with us, who all had a great time. Skiing at Horseshoe is great, affordable (get passes at Costco), and you can't beat the convenience of skiing back to your room for a break and a glass of wine during the day!

Positives:
- Easy to get to from Toronto
- Ski-in to Horseshoe (easy to ski down to pick up lift tickets first thing in the AM)
- Huge rooms, in great condition, and well furnished
- Great pools with lots of toys. Good hot tub. Nice changing facilities too.
- A price you can't really get at any other ski resort in the province

Negatives:
- Parking lot was pretty consistently full, making finding a spot tricky at times
- They went crazy on the de-icing salt on the walkways - meaning it was tracked into our unit as well
- Check-in at Carriage Hills is a bit of a pain
- No restaurant, and local choices are limited for families. But there is a supermarket nearby.

We will be back for sure. Probably once more in the winter, and then in the spring or summer, with bikes and hiking boots instead of skis.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Bukwaas, MA
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We went (6 adults, 3 children) in July 2009 ($120 for regular suite, $280 for 2 bedroom suite):

Hospitality – OK, a little cramped in the reception area. Not small enough to walk from area to area comfortably, so you’ll have to drive and park (for free) a bit.

Food – Pretty slim pickings for vegetarians, so we went into Barrie for dinner.

Accomodation – Keep in mind the lack of elevators when planning how much you pack! Great size rooms, with huge bathroom. The kitchenette in the 2 bedroom suite is amazing. They even provide cutlery, small appliances and cooking utensils.

Amenities – The gym is tiny and underdeveloped, although the 2 indoor pools are good sized. Too many wild teenagers jumping and splashing around to enjoy, though, especially for our toddler! The nearby bike trails are challenging yet fun, so worthwhile taking your bikes up for the weekend.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Etobicoke
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We've stayed for skiing a couple of times and always found the service good and the rooms well appointed and very clean with lots of amenities.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Being disappointed with the reviews for the actual Horseshoe ski resort properties I looked around and found Carriage Ridge Resort and liked the fact that they were advertising ski in/ski out access. After reading the multitude of stellar reviews for both Carriage Ridge and Carriage Hills Resorts (and with the price being WAY lower than staying at Horseshoe), we decided to book a snowboard weekend at Carriage Ridge. We couldn't have been happier! The ski in/ski out access was excellent, and because it was hard for me to find information on exactly where the hotel was situated I'll let eveyrone know here. Carriage Ridge basically sits right above the left side of the ski hill, the exact run you end up on is called Donkey Serenade and it is a GREEN run so pretty much any level of skier/snowboarder can get down. From our window facing the slopeside, we were able to see the top of the C5 Highrider triple chairlift at Horseshoe. Tip: get your discounted lift tickets from the front desk and you can basically just ski right on the hill and not even worry about going to the chalet to get your ticket! What a convenience it was on a busy Saturday morning! Just make sure you're back at the lift by about 8:55 PM or you could be in danger of missing the last lift up and have to walk the hill, it wouldn't be fun!

As for the property itself, it was fantastic. We took advantage of the pool (open till 10, 9 for kids), hot tub, bbqs and shared laundry (only shared with next door neighbor). They have a nice lounge with pool table and fireplace as well as a fitness room in the same building. In the room, the fireplace was nice, the room had a games table and a big dinner table. The kitchen was well stocked and had utensils for everything, blender, dishwasher, you name it! There was a place just inside the door to put your ski/snowboard equipment as well. When we arrived, the front desk gave us a little cooler for free with about a dozen hand/foot warmers along with the lift tickets. Is this place for real? Am I dreaming?

If I had to pick between staying at Carriage Hills or Carriage Ridge and if I was planning on skiing/snowboarding, I would choose Ridge. Carriage Hills looked like they had ski in/ski out access to the last run on the left at Horseshoe (the run is a green run called Canter), which was great, except for one thing: there is no night skiing on those leftmost runs and you wouldn't be able to get home past 4 PM! Go Carriage Ridge for sure if you're planning to night ski.

I can only think of three little things I would say that could improve this place: 1) a front desk check-in at Carriage Ridge (you need to drive down to check-in at Carriage Hills 2) a restaurant on site. We were very hungry after Friday night skiing and had to go into Barrie to grab something 3) sofa bed was not the best for comfort (but king sized in bedroom was amazing).

If you're thinking of staying anywhere NEAR this place you have to do yourself a favor and book something now. We are actually going to be making this a yearly trip because we liked it so much.

Oh, and we didn't get any weird calls or solicitations for any timeshares like the one reviewer below experienced, shrug.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jarvis777
Barrie, Ontario
Reviewed January 27, 2010

My spouse and I had gone to Horseshoe once before (in April) and even though we were there between season (after skiing before golfing), we had a great time.

We facilitated the Hot tub/Pool... as well as enjoyed the jacuzzi, right in the room!

We came up for our 2nd time last weekend, spent one night together then invited another couple up to come out Snowboarding/Skiing with us. It was a great time, minus a minor wipeout ;).

*The only problems I had with the resort was 1 of the daytime staff wasn't very pleasant upon noticing I was young and belonged to Shell Vacations!? Oh well.

*I also had 1 problem at Horseshoe - I was supposed to get a 20% discount on my lift tickets and rentals (I had purchased for 4 people). Upon presenting my Shell card, I was denied a discount due to uninformed employees/supervisors. Since I had never previously used this card for discounts myself, I just let it go, when I should've fought it and asked to speak with a manager!?

All in All: The 4 of us had an amazing time! After being out on the Hills all night, we went back to enjoy some time in the pool and hot tub, then just kicked back and had a few drinks in the resort apartment!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Peterborough
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I am the manager for an Atom AE team. We stayed at the Carriage HIlls Resort. This was my first experience booking a hotel for the team and the sales/service staff was great. Any question I had they answered didn't matter what it was. Housekeeping was great as well. We had a child who became ill and housekeeping was prompt and friendly helped us out with everything! I didn't get to the pool but I know several others had lots of fun there!

My 1 bedroom suite was beautiful and I loved the jaccuzi tub and relaxing in front of the fire place! The kitchen was well equipped and had everything we needed. I found it very easy to prepare the dish I was to make for our team pot luck!

One of our parents even suggested returning at the end of our hockey season as a team trip! I know I'd be in for sure!!!!

• Stayed January 2010
Toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed in this resort with friends for two nights. The resort is located in quiet picturesque place next to the Horse Shoe valley. We enjoyed cross-country skiing all days round. There are plenty trails for everybody. You can do downhill or tubing as well.
Our 1-bedroom was absolutely fabulous: relatively new, spacious, with Jacuzzi, fireplace, two TV sets and full kitchen. They put all small but necessary things in kitchen cabinets including flashlight. The staff is very friendly. They checked us in well in advance of normal time. Our friends enjoyed a swimming pull (partially outdoor) and sauna as well. They have wireless internet, but sometimes it’s getting slow.
I recommend the resort for everybody who wants to have a good outdoor, with skiing in winter time and cycling/golfing in summer. But if you are looking for fancy restaurants, find another place to stay.
Because of close proximity to Toronto, reasonable price and excellent accommodation, we already stayed there three times and want to visit again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends