My Fiancee and I stayed at the Carriage Ridge Resort for two nights on a weekend road trip. We are a quiet couple in our early 30s. The room was lovely, well maintained and cleaned. Our first night was fine.
On our second night, after a day of heavy skiing, we decided to take it easy, so we ordered pizza to the room, watched a movie on DVD at normal volume, and went to bed around Midnight. I heard some noise coming from one of our neighbouring suites but we were tired and it wasn't enough to keep us awake.
We were woken up at 1:45am by the doorbell being rung repeatedly, and when I answered, the response came: "Security! Open up please!" I told the guard to wait a minute while I put on a shirt, but she continued belligerently ordering us to open the door immediately. When my fiancee answered, we were told that a noise complaint had been called in against our unit. It was obvious to the guard immediately that the caller had made a mistake, and that we hadn't caused any disturbance. When she left, we lodged an immediate complaint with the night auditor. The experience was very upsetting, and it took at least an hour for both of us to get back to sleep.
We followed up our complaint the following morning with the Management at check-out. We demanded compensation, as the minimum standard of a hotel property is a night's uninterrupted sleep, and this property's policy fails to guarantee that. I have made noise complaints against neighbours at home, and I know from experience that the police will not even knock on the door if it's quiet when they arrive. If we weren't making noise, what was to be gained from waking us up to tell us to be quiet?
The staff were completely unsympathetic. They kept saying, "We're sorry, the security guard was just doing her job." They offered us nothing in the way of compensation and when we said we would be writing to their parent company, Shell Vacations, to seek compensation, they welcomed us to do so. The property is physically very nice and they get 2 points for that, but I would never stay there again after this experience
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carriage Ridge Resort in Horseshoe Valley just 1 hour north of Toronto, a four-season natural playground with rolling hills, lakes, rivers and forested trails. At Carriage Ridge Resort you’ll find all the comforts and amenities of home in a spectacular country setting. One bedroom and two bedroom condominium accommodations feature fully equipped kitchens, gas fireplaces and jetted hot tubs, making Carriage Ridge Resort absolutely ideal for family vacations, romantic getaways and golf and ski groups to Ontario and the Horseshoe Valley. Whether you want to ski meticulously groomed trails through snow-laden forests of pine, tee off at one of eighteen area golf courses, hike or mountain bike one of several picturesque trails, or just relax at the end of the day, Carriage Ridge Resort in Horseshoe Valley is your very own base for fun and adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Carriage Ridge Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carriage Ridge Hotel Barrie
- Carriage Ridge Barrie
- Carriage Ridge Resort Barrie, Ontario