“Rude”

The Clarkson Pub
Cuisines: Canadian, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The building was built in 1870 and opened as the Clarkson House. It became a notorious spot for vacationers to stop by and enjoy the beautiful view of the water. It is also known that for some time, the Hotel was a one-dollar hot/cold bathhouse, with a gentlemen’s only lounge. The Clarkson was a local favorite place to drink and socialize in Barrie. The business had a name change in the early 1980’s and remained under a different moniker until we re-opened as the Clarkson Pub on June 25th, 2012.The pub has been completely updated, while maintaining the building’s history. Although things have changed greatly since The Clarkson House was first opened so many years ago, the pub continues its well-known tradition of excellent service, fine pub fare, and welcoming atmosphere. We are located at the busy intersection of Dunlop and Mulcaster Streets in downtown Barrie. We are a full service gastro pub, open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. We have strong intentions on becoming one of the leading live entertainment venues north of Toronto, with an emphasis on promoting local acts as well as nationally renowned musicians. We are a licensed establishment with an interior capacity for 161 guests and an exterior capacity for 118 guests. We have two stages at the Clarkson, one inside in the West wing and one outside in our heated and enclosed patio as well as an in-house PA/Sound System.
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I have been to this bar more times than I can count! Each time I go I spend quite a bit of coin and have a generally friendly rapport with the serving staff, one of the reasons I keep going. This past weekend however I was incredibly dissapointed with the lack of friendliness. As a bartender or server It literally is your JOB to be nice to people and create a fun, friendly, and welcoming environment. My friends and I did not feel very welcomed this visit. Perhaps a lesson in customer appreciation is in order?

3  Thank Sarah J

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This past week I met a friend at the Clarkson for a bite to eat. The atmosphere was good, but the food was something to reckoned with. I ordered the "lightly dusted" wings, as per the menu, Well the wings were hugely in batter, which I do not like at all. In addition, they were supposed to be Cajun wings, and unlike other Cajun wings I've eaten they did not taste Cajun at all. So from a food perspective, definitely not great.
The drinks we had were fine, and the service was definitely good.
But from a future visit perspective, this will not be on my list to visit.

1  Thank diorkate
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Ordered spinache & artichoke dip. Wanted baked pita bread. Was hard as a rock I couldn't even eat it. Asked for one that was not overlooked was told my server " we'll that's the best we can do" this is awful buck I am a server also and I would never say that to a guest. There was no offer to fix it so I wanted it to go and she dropped a box on the table. I then had to request a gravy container or something to put my dip in so I could maybe eat it later with my own chips, she responded with a "ugh, I'll go get you one" and proceeded to also drop that container onto the table. For some reason I still tipped Kathryn, don't know why I would never return. I have had spinache dip at a number of other restaurants and never have I hated it. I'm also usually pretty easy but this server just said " that's the best we can do" I was disgusted by the attitude and the brick and goop they tried to feed me. Not even an offer for a manager or a manager coming to the table when there is an issue with the food. I have been letting people know of this experience and suggesting not to go to the clarkson pub.

3  Thank E N
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Walked in. There were these wonderful friendly people who joked with us and made us feel thoroughly welcome. But that does not sell a restaurant. The food was great. The server guided us through the experience. They recommended a new draft beer to my partner "Keith's Cascade" and went out of their way to provide a sample taste. Had fish, lightly battered & chips. Asked for my chips to be crispy...not a problem and they were! Had a great time. Returned a couple of days later & had their omlette with greens. Great salad dressing. Huge 3 egg omlette. Ceasar cocktail very tastey. Just a friendly, wonderful experience. Good job folks.

1  Thank TorontoSER
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Walking along Dunlop St on a sunny afternoon, we came across the Clarkson Pub. It was recommended on T.A. so we stopped in for lunch. For some reason we were the only customers and naturally service was excellent.
Bar staff were talking about a new draft beer, Keith's Cascade and gave us a sample taste.
Then we ordered the fish and chip special of the day, at a very low price. Glass of wine and a pint of this Cascade draft. Everything was wonderful. The fish was haddock, done perfectly, flaky and delicious, chips were crisp, not soft and soggy, and the beer was delightful with a hint of grapefruit flavour.
We returned 2 days later, again, alone in the premise. We had an omellete for early lunch. Came with garden salad of spring greens or a Caesar. We had one of each and the serving was extra generous. The Sunday special was $3.50 for a Caesar cocktail
We enjoyed both visits thoroughly and would certainly return if we visit Barrie again. A great experience, more than just a pub. And did I mention the service and friendliness? Simply terriffic.

2  Thank Bill W