“Great Variety with lots of options for children”

Market Buffet and Grill
Ranked #93 of 518 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Usually when my cousin and his children come to Barrie we go to one of the Chinese Buffet restaurants, but one of his customers mentioned the Market Buffet, so we tried it. First we were happy with the prices - a good $30 less for us all than at that other place - granted there weren't as many options, less seafood selections, but there WERE good options. Found that the salad bar had enough options to make us happy, there were a good number of vegetables, and loved the meat options. I was pleased with the roast beef, which was cooked more than I prefer, but it was moist. There wasn't as much fried foods as I had expected. The kids really liked the pizza, and the ice cream was popular. It was a place where it was easy to overeat, but it was all very good. Only disappointment was that the cinnamon rolls weren't what we were expecting, but that wasn't enough to complain about. Also liked the fact that you pay up front, so no waiting around afterwards for the bill to be brought.
Was it a gourmet meal? No, but we didn't pay for a gourmet meal. The price was right, especially for children.

3  Thank CanadianJane1957

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Lovely building, great prices and food is above average for a buffet. Rib night is a good time to try them. Current winter 2013 weekend pricing is $17 for adults.

A little hard to find in Barrie's south end (just off of Mapleview Drive) but well worth the trip.

1  Thank Nagagamisis
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Somebody knows how to taste the offerings. All food has great flavour, it's fresh and it's a huge variety.

1  Thank snorkldik
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Typical family style buffet restaurant. Went for Sunday brunch. Price was even more expensive than Saturday night. Food was ok and not much excitement. Main focus were the ham and roast beef. However, both were very dry. Salad, other veggie dishes and soups were good. There was also a lot of varieties of dessert.

Overall, I consider the price is higher than what I will pay.

1  Thank Richardctchan
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Attended for Sunday Brunch. $18.00 per person.

There were lots of choices for breakfast dishes as well as hot dinner entrees. Made to order omlette bar, taco bar, salad bar, desert bar.

Problem was the dishes. Had to ask for a replacement coffee cup - actually gritty to hold. There were so many plates at the buffet that had actual chunks of food still on them that I told the ladies at the front. I watched as they went through them and they had a huge stack to be rewashed by the time they were done.

When we went to the desert bar the bowls were the same way - chunks and dirty water still in the bowls. I had placed several aside and the waitress came over and told me they were ok. I told her that they were filthy - after she actually looked at them she appeared surprised and went through the rest - again ending up with a huge stack.

Service was ok - had to ask for coffee each time. No refills offered without asking.

Food wasn't great. Road beef dry and tough. Steaks - thin, tough. Basic buffet food but definately won't return due to the filth. Felt $18.00 was overpriced for the brunch offered.

1  Thank Milandralove