“Scrumptious Cuisine in Classy Surroundings.”

Houston Avenue Bar & Grill - Barrie
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cundles
Description: We invite you to join us on a culinary adventure that is sure to please even the most discriminating palate. With our decidedly urban upscale vibe, you will discover a great new place to meet friends and family in style.From fabulous appetizers, innovative seafood and salads to our signature steaks and ribs, come enjoy a freshly prepared, simply delicious cuisine - all with a Houston flavour.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I recently dined at Houston Steak and Ribs and were most pleasantly surprised. It has a feeling welcome to it, and the ambience and atmosphere was noteworthy. We shared an appetizer of Calamari, which was one of the best I have ever tasted, tender, succulent and spiced to perfection. My wife ordered a most tasty half a chicken, and I had a fabulous Pepper Steak (not for people who have an affliction to spice). The steak was perfectly grilled to my liking.

The highlight of the evening was Bryan our fun-loving, yet most professional and courteous waiter. He is the epitome of hospitality, and is a great ambassador for this restaurant. He should be commended for his exceptional service.

All in all, an outstanding first time experience, and as Arnold say; "I'll be Back!"

2  Thank Tuckedinntheharbour

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I went to celebrate our 31st Wedding Anniversary. My wife got the 12oz NY with a baked potato and veggies. She enjoyed it. I ordered the Ziti Houston which wasn't described accurately in the menu, no mention of what the pasta was. I was actually looking forward to the fresh battered fish and chips which I saw on the website menu. When I couldn't find it on the menu at the restaurant I asked the waiter and he said that they don't have beer battered fish and chips. I informed him that I saw it on the menu on line and he said "nope never had them here." My Ziti came out cold. When it came back I couldn't even get near it for 5 minutes as it was extremely hot. The manager never came by. The waiter asked if we would like some coffee or desert and we told him that we are not dessert people and would like the bill. He came back a couple of minutes later and stated that he was talking to the manager and the manager had approved a free dessert or coffee, I again reminded him that we were not the dessert type and would like our bill. At no time did we see a manager let alone a manger that cared to come by our table. Not really the kind of concern for customers I was looking for. Will not be going back!

2  Thank Norm C
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was not impressed with this restaurant... I was excited to see a steakhouse close to my house, as the Keg is a longer distance away. I saw some vouchers at Costco and picked one up for myself and another up for my Father as a gift for his birthday.

My experience was nothing to rave about, the service was slow, although I believe I had the best waitress in the place as all the others seemed more intent with chatting with the bartender in the back. The food was good, but I wouldn't go back for the price and lack or service.

My father on the other hand had a terrible experience... I was not their first hand so I will leave his second hand review out.

Overall I was very disappointed with this restaurant, it looks nice from the outside and very inviting when you walk in the door. But if they continue offering lousy service this restaurant will go down like the Fish Bowl that once occupied its place.

3  Thank GordyGord16
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Was here just after the restaurant first opened, Horrible experience all around. Bad service cold food. Heard from some friends of mine that they had a new management and a new chef, so we decieded to try it again....I am so glad that we did. Service was great, food was excellent. Ordered the fish and chips and they were perfect, friends ordered a turkey sandwich that was suprisingly tasty and a Chicken stirfry. The new Chef Matt was out walking around and came over and spoke to our table and introduced himself. Very Charismatic young man, spoke to our table for awhile listened to our feedback about the restaurant and thanked us for our visit. Not many large restaurants have the chef out talking to tables and it was a nice touch. Only downside, we were going to sit on the patio and after hearing how loud it is sitting out there we decieded to go back inside. Blonde girl at the front door was on her phone when we walked in and made us feel that we were interupting her when while we were being sat. The rest of the experience made up for these small things. We will DEFINATLY return!!!

3  Thank DavidV117
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The decor in the restaurant was interesting but I wouldn't say inviting. The hostess that greeted us did not seem that friendly, just average. Our server was nice enough but truly, I have had way better service at The Keg! The food was just okay. I had the beef sandwich and my company had the Thai salad and the other had a burger. Both agreed and said the food was standard and nothing really that great. Was kind of disappointed because I was interested in trying out this place for a few months now. Would not go back unless I was in that end of town.

1  Thank moe777