“never the same”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cundles
Description: We invite you to join us on a culinary adventure that is sure to please even the most discriminating palate. With our decidedly urban upscale vibe, you will discover a great new place to meet friends and family in style.From fabulous appetizers, innovative seafood and salads to our signature steaks and ribs, come enjoy a freshly prepared, simply delicious cuisine - all with a Houston flavour.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

we've given this restaurant three chances since they opened last year. my hubby loves his beef but doesnt like the other big steak chain in town so we thought houston's would be a great new addition to bayfield st. not so much. first time the first week was bad but we got it new restaurant and all its not gunna be perfect, second time in september for my birthday was excellent. everything was perfect even with a large group. we were sat directly outside the kitchen and could here the buzz coming from inside. all the things that make me love dining out. but our visit this past weekend made us decide to not return because on the night of my birthday everything was made to perfection. the chef even came out of the kitchen and introduced himself as the new chef and told us he wanted to make sure my birthday was special!! that made my night! I can't recall his name but we were impressed because he looked very young. which made us even more impressed when everything was wonderful. at one point my husband even pointed him out directing our waitress to fill up my wine glass. who does that?!!

our last visit this weekend was the complete opposite. we were not greeted at the door and had to stand there for a couple of minutes just to be seated for a late lunch when the restaurant was empty. our waitress did not seem happy to be there and smelled of cigarette. my husband ordered a medium steak and got rare. my chicken salad was no better then one from kelsey's. there was no soul here. and now for the kicker; when I asked about the young chef they said he was let go.

suffice to say we were not impressed and that basically cemented our decision about this restaurant. at least we had one pleasant experience there.

1  Thank Cathy O
There are newer reviews for Houston Avenue Bar & Grill - Barrie

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My Husband and I will not be returning. The only part of my meal that was good was the appetizer. Very disappointed, had to wait a long time for our steaks and then they were cold.

2  Thank snorkelgrandma
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went to Houston Steak and Ribs on
Bayfield Street, Barrie. Feb 24, 2013.
I ordered the BBQ Ribs and my wife ordered the nachos. About 5 minutes later the waitress came back and said that they did not have any BBQ sauce and would I like to order something else from the menu. I wanted to leave and go somewhere else but my wife said we should stay, I ended up ordering a hamburger. How can you run a restaurant and not have BBQ sauce for your food? that would be like ordering a steak and you don't have any. Not impressed at all and I will not be returning. Better get your act together Houston or your business will fold, a lot of competition on Bayfield street and you have lost me as a customer now!

5  Thank Tom B
Reviewed February 15, 2013

A very impersonal atmosphere for dining. Service was fine, food ok, prices a bit high...wine forget it..over priced. Just to open for me. Would I go back...no...much better value down town
Barrie.

6  Thank Estie46
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Had dinner 1 week after this place opened. Had to try it! They really missed the mark. Expensive, Average food, nothing to talk about, Loud music, Small portions. Places like this don't last in Barrie. Surprised it's still here. My wife and I won't miss it when it goes! Bring back the Sea Food place that use to be here.

5  Thank citation01