WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Service Excellence and Great Quailty! We will return this year!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carriage Hills Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barrie
Carriage Hills Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
ontario
“Service Excellence and Great Quailty! We will return this year!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Carriage Hills in March of 2008 and were hesitant to return as we had a bad experience with cleanliness and the noises the furnace made. Hence 2 years later and reluctant to return, I telephoned and spoke with the Supervisor Jaqueline. From this point on the rest is history! We arrived on the 3rd and left on the 6th. Jacquline and her staff notably Christine made both of us feel cared for. We went up planning to stay for two nights ended up staying for three. The difference in our experiences was exponentially different. We were given a room with privacy(no one above us), when we went to the front desk to easily purchase snow tube tickets for horseshoe valley I mentioned we would be returning after 9 to use the hot tub. Christine advised nobody would be present to sign out locker keys to us, so she immediately called over to the Carriage house desk to leave a lock out, although she didn't have to! She went out of her way without neither my boyfriend nor I asking. We enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to stay another night....easily done. One phonecall to Christine and it was done! Jacqueline(supervisor) was just as accomodating. The week I booked I found out someone had fraudlently used our c/c hence now we may not receive one in time for our stay. I immediately contacted Jacqueline yet again....so sorry to be a pain but Jacqueline was very attentive assuring me no worries, everything all worked out! Thank you to you Jacueline and Christine for all your attentiveness!

The room - was immaculate upon arrival and no distractions. We did the "Go Green" package, no housekeeping just trash p/u!

Activities - I really recommend this resort to all as there is plenty to do nearby. While away we did it all, we went dogsledding, snow tubing and skiing....yes I'm sore and did pay for it but you only live once!

Dogsledding was with Windrift Kennels. We did the half a day tour. I highly recommend if you're going to dogsled, do the short rides. The half a day felt like a rip off $250.00. Half of it was done on the road to get to the trail, making it difficult for the driver of the sled and the dogs. There was little snow on the road. I rode in the sled while my boyfriend drove. The dogs are strong however there are times when you need to exert yourself by pushing the sled up the hill. Riding on the trail was obviously easier. There is a session done solely on trail and I wish we would have done that instead. The trip was really only 2hours and the rest of the time was getting the dogs binded to the sled. I was disturbed by the noise the dogs made whining and howling...there were over 200 dogs on the farm. Watching the dogs get chosen and being lead to the lead was disturbing, not for kids. The dogs are so hyper and excited to go out the person has to wrangle them by the collar to get to the sled....not something I can get out of my head. I called Barried OSPCA to inquire if Windrift Kennels had any complaints and they wouldn't tell me. I asked the guide at Windrift Kennels if there were ever any concerns and was told not enough hay in or around the dog house was the only concern they've had with OSPCA through general site inspections. Would I do this again? No! Then again this is just my opinion!

Snow tubing - Horseshoe Valley - We went for the two hour pass between 7-9pm on a weekday and had a great time. We purchased our tickets through Carriage Hills at 20% off of $20.00.

Downhill Skiing - Horseshoe Resort - Carriage has/had a ski in - ski out package or you can purchase lift tickets for discount prices.

Carriage House - has a magnificent indoor/outdoor pool, an outdoor hot tub, includiing one inside, a sauna, a gym with the necessities, a pool room (cost a $1/game), arcade(pac man - loved) and race car, you can rent newly released movies for $5/movie.

Massage - they have an on site massage therapist who will come to your room...never used...although I really could have the last day there! Apparently they will come directly to your room.

Snowmobiling - saw a group of snowmobilers. I do believe they have snowmobile rentals nearby.

Restaurants - breakfast good and cheap at Loobies! No website so don't bother trying to find it. But we ate there for all three mornings and did two years ago...still great! It doesn't look like much but it really is Quaint, cozy and the service, quality of food and price is excellent. I recommend the omellets! the average price is $6.00/meal not including coffee which is pretty good. The Crazy horse Saloon was casual dining but your typical - pricey! There is a decent grocery store off horsehoe rd foodland! It has pre-cooked chickens and a deli bar who are willing to make fresh sandwiches!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Jokopuppy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

I think my title says it all! Our kids were expected to sleep on a queen size pull-out sofa 'retro-fitted' with a double mattress! The side coil springs and wires were all exposed. The front desk said they were ALL like that now!
Totally unacceptable!
We have stayed at the sister resort numerous times and never had this kind of service!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mom4Ontario
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

Stayed solo after skiing Hardwood Hills... room was amazing, backed right onto Horseshoe's hills, view of hills, enormous jacuzzi, full kitchen, fireplace, king bed all very clean, swimming pool, arcade, video rentals and gym 100m away... staff were super helpful, accommodating and made my night there as spectacular as they could.

Sure, there are few restaurants and bars etc. but the place IS REMOTE as is advertised, in ski country, its not their fault there are no restaurants around. Go to the grocery store before arrival and stock up, the kitchen in the suites will more than accommodate any kind of cooking.

If you want a great place to crash for a ski vacation, THIS IS the place!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

we stayed at carriage hills resort for 1 wk. the pool, room, and gym was nice, but the housekeeping was bad. we left our dirty laundry in a plastic bag in the washroom beside our dirty towels. we were going to do the laundry ourselves after housekeeping came. so we went out and when we came back, our laundry was gone! they replenished our towels and everything but our laundry was missing. *tip: dont leave anything u want on the floor. it wont be there after housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

Warning: I'm wordy. Three friends and I snatched up a Travelzoo deal and booked a quick night away as an escape from Toronto life. The rooms looked nice on the website sure, but is reality ever as nice as it's advertised? No! So I wasn't really getting my hopes up. Just wanted to relax with the girls, drink a few cosmos, flip through some fashion mags, watch some movies. As soon as we opened the door to our suite we dropped our bags in girly excitement and were immediately pressured by one in our party: "You all have to get out of work on Monday. Call in sick!". The pictures on the website don't even do the rooms justice. Sadly the suite was much nicer than my own apartment. The decor was fab. The suite was a great size (as was the tv) and clean, complete with jacuzzi, vanity, balconi, fridge, blender (essential for girly drinks), toaster oven, stove (loved the fact that you can be lazy, sleep in, and then make your own bacon and eggs, and daiquiri in the morning :) ), dishwasher (hello!),...and dishes. The only thing missing was martini glasses. Bring your own ladies.
Needless to say we booked a second night and were given an even greater deal. The staff was very helpful with everything we asked about. At the Carriage Ridge Resort there is only an indoor pool (adequate size) and a hot tub, but there is a sun deck and lounge chairs if you happen to visit during a summer that is warm enough to sit outside. That was not the case with our weekend, so thank goodness for the heated indoor pool. Also admirable is the adult swim time from 9-10:00 pm, if like myself you have a fear of children. At the pool/recreation centre you can also rent out games for your room free of cost which is a great idea if you're staying in.
It's located in the countryside, so bring bug spray if you spend any time outdoors, as I learned the hard way. There's not tons to do in the immediate area off the resort if you don't golf...one day a couple of the girls made a valiant effort to try the dirt bikes available for rent, but found it a little more pricey than desired.
Another plus is that about a five minute drive away is a convenient combined Foodland/LCBO/Beer Store. There's no other buildings in the town besides a gas station. This will cover basically all your needs in one stop, and was great for buying things to bbq, as there are bbq pavillions at the resort which we used a couple of times.
As for any negatives, the only complaint I could think of is that we weren't allowed to use the indoor/outdoor pool at the neighbouring Carriage Hills Resort (so keep that in mind when deciding which resort to book if the pool matters to you). Also the drain in the shower in our room was clogged with hair the first day (not really a fan of being that up close and personal with the previous guests, no offense, I'm sure they were nice people). Other than that it was immaculately clean and all in all it was a great place and we started planning our next trip back immediately. We even decided we might keep it to ourselves rather than rave about it to our friends and keep it as our own little retreat of the privileged invited elite.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank stuckintoronto
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

We spent one night at this resort, part of a driving vacation in Southern Ontario.
Carriage Ridge and Carriage Hills are two timeshare resorts (Carriage Hills is probably a bit newer); part of them can be booked hotel-style. For whatever reason you can’t book on the Carriage Hills Resort website, you have to use the Carriage Ridge Resort webpage and then you’d have them both on online reservations results (availability considered).
We slept in a great studio suite, very comfortable and very well kept (it also has a microwave oven, fridge, kitchen “stuff”). When asked we chose the third (last) floor to minimize possible noise problems; we also got a great view from the balcony. The refrigerator started making an annoying noise/vibration at some point so we turned it off (not an issue for a short stay).
Besides the accommodation there isn’t much else in the resort: a pool, a small games room, and a “library” room (plus many public barbecues around the buildings). You have to drive around for anything else, OK if you’re active (and a bit proactive for longer stays).
We plan to return here for a weekend trip in fall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Calin N
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

I have vacation ownership at this resort and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be surrounded by a picturesque landscape and quiet relaxing atmosphere. I go back every year for a few days just to get away from the big city life and come back refreshed. The only thing it is lacking is close by attractions, you will need a car to get around because most of the attractions are a driving distance. If you want to just get away for a few days enjoy some golf, horseback riding, skiing or just dip in the pool then this place is a home away from home.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends