“Beware - Carriage Hills is unethical !”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barrie
Carriage Hills Resort
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beware - Carriage Hills is unethical !”
Reviewed November 11, 2004

Don't trust this resort ! At best, they have incompetent staff who waste valuable time, in addition to a telemarketing program which rudely interrupts people's home life. At worst, they have unethical business practices. If you care to read further, you can make your own decision...

I thought I would take a leap of faith, and try for once trusting the intrusive and rude telemarketing offer that they made directly to my home phone number.

Against my better judgement, I listetned to their offer to visit their resort and receive a promotional overnight package at a reduced rate.

Carriage Hills qualified my attendance, then later reovoked that qualification, although I truthfully answered all of the qualification questions on both occasions. In my opinion this resort is not to be trusted.

I had decided to accept their offer to attend at my own their marketing promotion expense, and I also suggested a mutually beneficial situation where I would refer another friend to attend their marketing tour, and while on site at the tour I would discuss with them an opportunity for them to donate an overnight stay to a charity fundraising event where between 150 and 300 people would have exposure to their name and resort.

After a lengthy discussion and qualification process which included conversation with the telemarketer AND the supervisor, we all agreed, and everything was set.

Later that week I was called to confirm my reservation, and when I re-answered the qualifying questions, with the same answers I gave to qualify in the first place, I was told that I do not qualify. The sticking point was that I was 2 months outside of their criteria range for 'length of time separated'.

The person who disqualified me said "this happens all the time, which is why we have to have a second qualification call".

So, I spoke to one of their managers of Marketing, explaining that

1 - I was very unhappy that I was lied to, being told that I was able to attend, then was later told I am not qualified to attend, and this in my opinion consitutes unethical business practises

2 - I was very unhappy with the amount of personal time I wasted with their resort

3 - I am embarassed to have to cancel plans with the friend whom I persuaded to attend with me

4 - Their telemarketing staff had agreed to further discuss a mutually beneficial situation where they could assist a charity I volunteer for, and I could help spread awareness about their resort, and by disqualifying me based on a very small technicality, they were losing the opportunity for goodwill and additional exposure

5 - I would tell everyone I know, and as many of the public as I could about my bad experience with Carriage Hills Resort.

The manager was apologetic but felt it was more important to stick to his rules and disqualify me based on the fact that I have been separated for 48 months instead of 50 months, rather than, in the interest of good will and good public relations, apologize for the error his his resort had made, and reverse the disqualification.

This manager also claimed, in direct contradiction to the person who disqualified, that it is rare that they qualify someone then later disqualify them, when the person who did the disqualification said it happens "all the time".

Pity, they lost a potential customer, potential good exposure, and sullied the name of their resort, all over a matter of two months.

Lack of vision?
Un-ethical business practises?
Poor management skills?

The just is out... but certainly this is not a place I would choose to spend my money at!

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed October 10, 2004

We spent a very good time there. We were for a week and found the hotel far, but nice, clean, warm and confortable. It's about 1 hour far from Toronto, so, get a car.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
london, ontario
Reviewed October 7, 2004

This resort is a beautiful, clean, family oriented resort. We just came back and enjoyed some beautiful, unusually warm weather for October.
We really love the indoor outdoor pool, with the outdoor hot tub which is especially nice at night. We also enjoyed spectacular views of Horseshoe Vally during an excursion on a Canadian Hummer Adventure which we arranged to pick us up at Carriage House.
I would like to hear from any owners at Carriage Hills who are interested in renting out their timeshare condominium for a few days in the winter months.

8 Thank tech789
Reviewed September 30, 2004

We went up on a 2 day one night pkg, for 65.00 and had a blast!
first off the condos are hugh we brought a total of 7 people and every one had a bed. the spaces are beautiful we had a great time boarding but i do have to say to all of you who dont yet know about ontario's mountains they're really just big hills but great to learn on and fun when your not really paying for it. you can ski right from the resort to the lifts. the in door/outdoor pool was plenty of fun too.
it is a quiet place you so if you're looking for a night out on the town this isn't the place for you
and we didn't feel any real pressure tactics we watched the video (about 20 minutes) and then were told if we weren't interested to enjoy the rest of our day and we did.

we did refer my parents and they ended up buying one and have been very happy with it! the resort is an RCI member so if they feel like changing up therir vacation location they do next year they are going to wales and england. we took some of their time this year and had a fantastic on margarita island, although i must say, the accomadations at carriage hill were more fitting for a family trip by far.
great for a cheap trip with no expectations 'cause you'll be blown away.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed September 11, 2004

I know two couples that bought timeshares from Carriage Hills salespeople and now live to regret it. We accompanied one couple and found the place to be poorly staffed and very boring. There were little in the way of activities, no on sight restauraunts or attractions for families. If you wanted any kind of programming you had to go to the sister resort, Horseshoe Valley, which is a very worn out property that was not kept clean. I would save yourself the headache and go elsewhere. The rooms were lovely, but other than that a boring environment.

• Stayed July 2003
9 Thank icebaby68
Reviewed July 18, 2004

Timeshare sales people called me (with no exaggeration) at least 2 times a day, 7 days a week, for 5 weeks. I had already told them I was not interested and yet they persisted until I eventually snapped and threatened to report them to the better business bureau. I would hate to think what they do when you're actually there.... probably stay in the room with you!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member